really bad freshman year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seattle1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i'm a freshman and i had a really bad first term. i got a c in gen chem and a d+ in physics. i know this is really bad b/c they're reqs that i need for med school, but is it even worth retaking them? most med schools i asked recommended not retaking them, but what should i do? i just had a really bad term b/c i was sick a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

G Chem 1, no. Go do G chem 2 and O chem.

Physics 1- do you need at least a C for physics 2? If so then you'll have to retake.

If by sick you mean you got 4 GI bugs in the space of 3 weeks, you're probably okay to go on with a full course load. If by sick you mean you got a chronic condition that's always kicking your butt, you might want to ease back next term/the first term of 2nd year. Once you're acclimated, you can add on bigger classes.

The great news is that you can definitely recover your GPA! The first semester is usually the toughest for everyone because of the transition into college life. Personally, I would retake Physics I, but others may disagree. There aren't many upper level classes usually available that are descendents of physics so you may not be able to take a higher class to show you can handle the material.

Members don't see this ad :)
The great news is that you can definitely recover your GPA! The first semester is usually the toughest for everyone because of the transition into college life. Personally, I would retake Physics I, but others may disagree. There aren't many upper level classes usually available that are descendents of physics so you may not be able to take a higher class to show you can handle the material.

he'll probably have to. :) since most schools want 2 terms of physics and you can't take the 2nd without passing the 1st.

what's your major? can you take a different physics? (non-calc?)

so i'm a freshman and i had a really bad first term. i got a c in gen chem and a d+ in physics. i know this is really bad b/c they're reqs that i need for med school, but is it even worth retaking them? most med schools i asked recommended not retaking them, but what should i do? i just had a really bad term b/c i was sick a lot.

First of all, you have far more undergraduate work ahead of you than behind you. I would sign up for General Biology and some general education stuff like english, math and leave the chemistry/physics for this year. If you can't get a first semester of General Biology at your school then just take general education stuff like humanities or math for this next semester and do well.

You likely do not need to retake the General Chemistry but you should retake General Physics after you have more math under your belt. This might put you taking Organic Chemistry during your junior year but you need to have a semester of excellent work before you tackle General Chemistry II or the retake in Physics.

Both General Chemistry and General Physics require that you are able to use your College Algebra/Analytic Geometry as a tool to understand concepts. Be sure that you have a good math grounding. A ligher semester after your illness is also a good idea because you need a semester of good grades to offset those two courses (having a base of excellence will give you confidence going into next year too).

I would not recommend trying to take pre-med courses during summer school either. Summer coursework goes fast and you likely need the extra time of a fall or spring semester for your science work.

One semester of poor work can be explained in light of your illness. Rushing this process and doing poorly for another semester can be problematic. Slow down, get your health together and have one relaxing semester where you know that you can get all As.

Both General Chemistry and General Physics require that you are able to use your College Algebra/Analytic Geometry as a tool to understand concepts. Be sure that you have a good math grounding.

I really really really wish someone had told me that first term. Thanks, njb. I feel better about pushing my chem back now. :)

Retake physics, get an A/B+ in gen chem 2 and don't worry about the c.

jurassic park: at my school, we have a three courses for intro physics and you can take them in whatever order you want, so my grade in this course doesn't impact whether or not i can take the next class. and all of the physics is algebra based. i was just sick often like in and out of doctor's offices and always doped up on antibiotics so it was a sucky term. oh and i'm a psych major.

jurassic park: at my school, we have a three courses for intro physics and you can take them in whatever order you want, so my grade in this course doesn't impact whether or not i can take the next class. and all of the physics is algebra based. i was just sick often like in and out of doctor's offices and always doped up on antibiotics so it was a sucky term. oh and i'm a psych major.

Really? Are you triple-sure- I've never heard of that. Regardless, the unspoken part of pre-reqs is that you "pass" them- will a D+ count at your school? I think most med schools require a C.

Really? Are you triple-sure- I've never heard of that. Regardless, the unspoken part of pre-reqs is that you "pass" them- will a D+ count at your school? I think most med schools require a C.

yeahh our school operates on trimesters so we have to take all three courses but in no particular order. and i just looked up on some admissions websites and they do say a C. but they just say a year of physics so if i took some higher level courses, would it still count toward the year of physics? i mean they don't specifically say anywhere just intro physics right?

yeahh our school operates on trimesters so we have to take all three courses but in no particular order. and i just looked up on some admissions websites and they do say a C. but they just say a year of physics so if i took some higher level courses, would it still count toward the year of physics? i mean they don't specifically say anywhere just intro physics right?

It just says "General" but think hard about it before you go onto adv physics.

For what its worth, I agree with retaking General Physics. I think a C, especially in your first semester, can be forgiven quite easily especially if you do better in Gen Chem II. I think that Gen Chem II was actually easier than the first half, there was a lot less stoichometry and more about atomic theory (at least at our school).

A D is more difficult, especially in a prereq like physics, and I would be cautious about taking a higher level physics when you got a D in general physics.

Anyways, I would just retake physics and not worry too much about having a bad first semester. As long as you improve next semester, you have a lot of time to bring your gpa up.

What do you guys think about my situation

At my school if you get a grade below a C in either lecture or lab for Chem, you'll get the same grade in both lab and lecture. I have like a B-/C+ in lecture right now and lab is scaring me so much. I'm about 3% away from falling into the D+ range, we've already turned in all our labs so there's nothing I can do about my grade. There are still 3 labs that need to be factored into our grade but I'm pretty sure I did terrible on all of them. It's possible I'll get a D in the class and I'm gonna be screwed. My parents were all on me about getting straight A's lmao. I'm gonna be so dead once they see my final grades (actually chem is the only bad subject, everything else is fine)

What do you guys think about my situation

At my school if you get a grade below a C in either lecture or lab for Chem, you'll get the same grade in both lab and lecture. I have like a B-/C+ in lecture right now and lab is scaring me so much. I'm about 3% away from falling into the D+ range, we've already turned in all our labs so there's nothing I can do about my grade. There are still 3 labs that need to be factored into our grade but I'm pretty sure I did terrible on all of them. It's possible I'll get a D in the class and I'm gonna be screwed. My parents were all on me about getting straight A's lmao. I'm gonna be so dead once they see my final grades (actually chem is the only bad subject, everything else is fine)
is it too late to talk to your instructor? ask him if you can redo a lab report or something?

otherwise you'll have to retake under a c.

I don't get what's all the fuss is about with people saying that their first year of college is tough, because of the transitions or whatnot. I thought college was easier than HS. I guess it's because of the freedom that came along with it??