***Really bad interview*** -what did you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrappysurfer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had a ***REALLY*** bad "informational" interview yesterday. The guy made some disparaging remarks about women in my field, about the vialibity of MSTP's in research (and their desirability in his/other labs), about my boss and several other investigators. He hadn't looked at my app long enough to know I'd been an athlete and an undergrad in his department. He is known as something of an ass, but this was crazy. (This was interview #6, so I have some idea of how they are conducted by now).

I'm guessing that the office might want to know this (they recruit MSTP's pretty heavily), but I'm not sure if I should wait to see my status at the school first. It left me with a very bad feeling about the school even though I did my undergrad there.

I want to at least double check if he has any bearing on my acceptance. If so, I'd like to see if I can get another interview.

Anyone else have something like this happen? What did you do?

Members don't see this ad.

scrappysurfer said:
So I had a ***REALLY*** bad "informational" interview yesterday. The guy made some disparaging remarks about women in my field, about the vialibity of MSTP's in research (and their desirability in his/other labs), about my boss and several other investigators. He hadn't looked at my app long enough to know I'd been an athlete and an undergrad in his department. He is known as something of an ass, but this was crazy. (This was interview #6, so I have some idea of how they are conducted by now).

I'm guessing that the office might want to know this (they recruit MSTP's pretty heavily), but I'm not sure if I should wait to see my status at the school first. It left me with a very bad feeling about the school even though I did my undergrad there.

I want to at least double check if he has any bearing on my acceptance. If so, I'd like to see if I can get another interview.

Anyone else have something like this happen? What did you do?

you ought to report this and if it happens in the future dont wait; report the same day; if this is ucsd you are referring to i believe they send you an evaluation form in the email; write it in there.
Ive heard of this kinda stuff happening alot at ucsd; I had two real nice scientists but i have heard the opposite from others. not sure what the deal is there.

Haybrant said:
you ought to report this and if it happens in the future dont wait; report the same day; if this is ucsd you are referring to i believe they send you an evaluation form in the email; write it in there.
Ive heard of this kinda stuff happening alot at ucsd; I had two real nice scientists but i have heard the opposite from others. not sure what the deal is there.

Yep, it was UCSD. I feel bad because they work unbelievably hard to shuttle interviewees around and keep them happy. I have a feeling that they would want to know, even if they would be upset. As an MSTP applicant I typically interview with 3-5 people per school, and only one of the other interviews I had was upsetting. It was nowhere near as bad as this interview.

I am curious where you heard of other bad interviews at UCSD. I did my undergrad there, know tons of great med students there, and was surprised to get such a HORRIBLE impression during my interview. The current students and the other people I interviewed with were much more fun than many of my other interviews.

I appreciate the advice and I will probably discuss it with the coordinators today.