Really bummed out. Bad COMLEX, FAILED USMLE...am I just screwed?

Nov 18, 2010
Status
So I got a 446 on COMLEX Step 1 and I found out that I failed the USMLE Step 1. I don't know what happened.

I am really down right now because I had goals of matching into IM at some university program and now I feel like my dreams are shattered.

I'm on rotations right now and I can't even fathom the thought of studying for Step 1 again. Its way too hard considering I also have shelf exams to prepare for. What should I do? I don't want to do general IM and I want to specialize after that and I feel like the best way to do that is through an ALLOPATHIC residency.

Can a really strong COMLEX Step II save me? Should I just suck it up and try to retake the USMLE Step 1.

I'm thinking of working hard for the COMLEX II so that I can match into a dual accredited IM program and then pursue GI afterwards in both the MD and DO worlds.

It isn't even about getting the residency at this point its also an issue of confidence. I hate the fact that I failed an exam my MD counterparts have passed. I would love to take it and pass it again but I seriously feel like there simply isn't TIME with all the studying I already need to be doing this third year!! :cry:

Any advice?

sylvanthus

EM/IM/CC PGY-6
10+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Im a bit of a noob, but I looked at the AOA GI opportunities and it looks like there are 14 programs. So, seems to me if you match into an IM osteopathic program (which shouldn't be too hard), do well in your residency and rest of the steps, and then apply to an osteopathic GI fellowship you could be alright.

I don't think taking the USMLE again will help much as the chance of getting into a good allopathic IM program would be hard at this point.

So, ya, in my noobish opinion, I say go osteopathic and do well from here on out and you'll be fine.

Reactions: DreamerZee88