Really concerned about my schools list.Need help figuring out my chances 3.87 cGPA 3.72 gpa 512 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phixius12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been finishing up my secondaries and getting worried about if the list of schools I selected is good. Really worried about getting interviews and could use some input.

I am CA resident, and a non-trad, 28 years old. Not URM, but economically disadvantaged, (and had to be a caretaker for my mother for years). Went from high school had to work to support family, basically went to community college and then university, but it took a longer time (like 7 years) because I was working.

I have a 3.87 cGPA and 3.72 sGPA. Mcat first time taken was 23 and second time was 512.

Work experience:
EMT in an ambulance (not 911) 3680 hours 2 years.
Best Buy: sales 1 year
Specimen Processor in a lab: 1 year
Risk management lead at university's gym: 1 year
Applied behavior analysis therapist: behavioral therapy for children with autism (1 year and continuing)

Volunteer experience:
-Was a health educator for underserved high school students for a year and a half (about 210 hours)
-currently volunteering in patient outreach with homeless at a medical clinic in an urban environemt (started this summer)

Research experience:
About 400 hours expected to be done by July 2018, been working with same PI since 2015 august. However, my research consists mostly of data mining and collection for therapy development. No pubs, but working on a manuscript. I really like the research I do and can talk about why I'm invested in it, despite mostly doing data mining.

Shadowing experience:
-shadowed one doc in an ER at a county hospital in Los Angeles
-Shadowed another surgeon
-Total shadowing experience about 64 hours.

I'm also worried because I haven't been able to turn in some of these secondaries for like almost a month (haven't missed any school deadlines tho).

What do you guys think? Will I have a chance for interviews? Should I apply to any other schools? I really appreciate your advice. Thank you!

Schools list:
UCLA
USC
UCI
UCD
UCR
Loyola
FIU
Miami Miller
USF Morsani
Harvard
Georgetown
Toledo
Oakland
Tulane
Creighton
Louisville
Arizona (tuscon)
Wayne state
Wright state
University of Wisconsin
SUNY downstate
Virginia Commonwealth
Einstein
Brown
Thomas Jefferson
Cooper
Loma Linda
Eastern Virginia

Members don't see this ad.

Some of the state public schools on your list such as Cooper, Wright State, Toledo, Louisville, U Wisconsin accept few non residents with no connections to the state or who are not from neighboring states. Harvard is a far reach. I suggest adding these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
GW
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis

Hi all, I've been finishing up my secondaries and getting worried about if the list of schools I selected is good. Really worried about getting interviews and could use some input.

Schools list:
UCLA
USC
UCI
UCD
UCR
Loyola
FIU
Miami Miller
USF Morsani
Harvard
Georgetown
Toledo
Oakland
Tulane
Creighton
Louisville
Arizona (tuscon)
Wayne state
Wright state
University of Wisconsin
SUNY downstate
Virginia Commonwealth
Einstein
Brown
Thomas Jefferson
Cooper
Loma Linda
Eastern Virginia

Your list is quite good, except for the schools Faha mentioned. Delete Brown, they highly favor their own.

Also delete:

Louisville
Arizona (tuscon)
Wayne state
Wright state
University of Wisconsin
SUNY downstate
Cooper
Toledo
Harvard (they don't need the donation)
USF
FIU

Keep Loma Linda ONLY if you are SDA or a very devout Christian. If you really wish to stay in CA, add Western and Touro-CA to the list, plus TUNCOM, AZCOM and PacNW.

Consider adding:
Albnay
NYMC

Thanks for the responses! Wait so I'm confused, how is my list good if a bunch of my schools need to be deleted. I also don't care about California, I really just want to get in somewhere.