Really confused and stressed help me out someone!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krazydesi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I did post earlier regarding my stats for school and all...but I am just so stressed out while studying for mcats on what to do... I talked to the premed commmitte in my school today regarding MCATs. I am real chill with them since I work with them this summer

they basically said I would need a 3.6 and like a 32+ to be in good standing for med school. They think that I should possibly think about taking a year off and getting a better gpa. What you guys all think

I hope to have about a 3.6-3.65 gpa by end of junior year so thats not a problem... next is mcats we will see how that goes ...

thing is I am engineering major so not science would that put me at a disadvantage?

Also my science gpa may only be around 3.4 as compared to my nonscience cum gpa.

I am really considering taking a year off but I really don't want to and if it comes to down to DO or take a year off, I'd rather take the year off.

I do not understand why I am so against taking a year off I mean technically it wouldnt matter age wise because I am like 8months-1year younger then all my friends right now so I mean I would still be 21 when I graduate my college (currently going to be a junior, just turn 20 now)...

Not sure what to do. Any advice or just let it play out for next two semesters and see where I am at?

I have great EC's. 150+ hours volunteering at hospital, 25+ hours of shadowing, positions for 2 years in 3 organizations, research (1 year two diff. research advisers, might continue research next year but I am not big on research).

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, don't worry, everything will work out. Now, for the stats. You should try to raise your science GPA from 3.4 to around 3.50-3.55, and have your cGPA around 3.6-3.7. In terms of MCAT, when are you taking them? For the score, you always want to do better than 30+, and 32+ will be even better. But for now, just study hard, do well in your classes, and see where you are in 2 semesters, with the MCAT score...then, we can have a more realistics say if you need to take a year off.

Hey guys,

So I did post earlier regarding my stats for school and all...but I am just so stressed out while studying for mcats on what to do... I talked to the premed commmitte in my school today regarding MCATs. I am real chill with them since I work with them this summer

they basically said I would need a 3.6 and like a 32+ to be in good standing for med school. They think that I should possibly think about taking a year off and getting a better gpa. What you guys all think

I hope to have about a 3.6-3.65 gpa by end of junior year so thats not a problem... next is mcats we will see how that goes ...

thing is I am engineering major so not science would that put me at a disadvantage?

Also my science gpa may only be around 3.4 as compared to my nonscience cum gpa.

I am really considering taking a year off but I really don't want to and if it comes to down to DO or take a year off, I'd rather take the year off.

I do not understand why I am so against taking a year off I mean technically it wouldnt matter age wise because I am like 8months-1year younger then all my friends right now so I mean I would still be 21 when I graduate my college (currently going to be a junior, just turn 20 now)...

Not sure what to do. Any advice or just let it play out for next two semesters and see where I am at?

I have great EC's. 150+ hours volunteering at hospital, 25+ hours of shadowing, positions for 2 years in 3 organizations, research (1 year two diff. research advisers, might continue research next year but I am not big on research).

Students apply with your scores and get in every year. Try a few state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with Caesar. Make sure you apply early and broadly.

i'd try asking yourself why you're so against taking a year off. it gives great perspective, and I think med schools actually prefer it.

whatever you choose, good luck