Really confused and stressed help me out someone!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by krazydesi, Jun 17, 2008.

1. krazydesi

Hey guys,

So I did post earlier regarding my stats for school and all...but I am just so stressed out while studying for mcats on what to do... I talked to the premed commmitte in my school today regarding MCATs. I am real chill with them since I work with them this summer

they basically said I would need a 3.6 and like a 32+ to be in good standing for med school. They think that I should possibly think about taking a year off and getting a better gpa. What you guys all think

I hope to have about a 3.6-3.65 gpa by end of junior year so thats not a problem... next is mcats we will see how that goes ...

thing is I am engineering major so not science would that put me at a disadvantage?

Also my science gpa may only be around 3.4 as compared to my nonscience cum gpa.

I am really considering taking a year off but I really don't want to and if it comes to down to DO or take a year off, I'd rather take the year off.

I do not understand why I am so against taking a year off I mean technically it wouldnt matter age wise because I am like 8months-1year younger then all my friends right now so I mean I would still be 21 when I graduate my college (currently going to be a junior, just turn 20 now)...

Not sure what to do. Any advice or just let it play out for next two semesters and see where I am at?

I have great EC's. 150+ hours volunteering at hospital, 25+ hours of shadowing, positions for 2 years in 3 organizations, research (1 year two diff. research advisers, might continue research next year but I am not big on research).

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. eagle34

Resident [Any Field]
    First of all, don't worry, everything will work out. Now, for the stats. You should try to raise your science GPA from 3.4 to around 3.50-3.55, and have your cGPA around 3.6-3.7. In terms of MCAT, when are you taking them? For the score, you always want to do better than 30+, and 32+ will be even better. But for now, just study hard, do well in your classes, and see where you are in 2 semesters, with the MCAT score...then, we can have a more realistics say if you need to take a year off.

4. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Students apply with your scores and get in every year. Try a few state schools.

5. JulyMorning

Medical Student
    Agree with Caesar. Make sure you apply early and broadly.

6. Dulcina

Dulcina =)

Medical Student
    i'd try asking yourself why you're so against taking a year off. it gives great perspective, and I think med schools actually prefer it.

whatever you choose, good luck