really dumb question.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuldoc87

Killer tofu
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok sorry for the dumb question, but I recently spent time shadowing a family medicine doc.

Now my question is, what is the proper terminology to call him? For example, someone who specializes in neurosurgery is called a neurosurgeon, someone who specializes in cardiology is called a cardiologist, but what do you call someone who practices family medicine? I just don't want to say I shadowed a "family medicine doctor", because that seems rather awkward.

Again, really dumb question, but I can't seem to find the answer. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Family Medicine has a specialty board, and so you're not wrong to call someone who specialized in Family Medicine a "family medicine physician."

But a "primary care physician" is probably what you're looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Family Doctor, Family Physician, FP are all OK. Some in the specialty are trying to get away from the term "practitioner" as it can be confused with nurse practitioner. "GP" or general practitioner is a term (in the US) reserved for someone who did a one-year rotating internship, but not a full three-year Family Medicine residency training program. They are not eligible to be board certified.

I think the term General Practitioner (GP for short) also flies...

could be wrong.

The family physician I shadowed was pretty adamant in saying that she was "not a general practitioner," citing board certifications and whatnot.