Really Fun/Cool Organic Lab Experiments?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PediatricPaula

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

So I have to find 3 experiments for Orgo 2 to complete and I really want to find an experiment that's both fun and educational. Since I want to go to med-school, probably something medicine related would be nice but not the synthesis of asprin because I see that WAY to often online.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Look up the synthesis of nylon. It seems pretty interesting. I am not sure you would be able to get the starting materials easily though.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, or if it is done too often but search for the luminol chemiluminescence test for blood. Its used in forensics.

Members don't see this ad :)
really fun/cool and organic lab, don't belong in the same sentence.

Anyway, to get more useful responses, I think you need to provide a bit more info. Like:
1. Who's supervising (almost every experiment I did for lab was pretty simple, but that was because T.A.'s usually handled the complex or potentially dangerous parts that were necessary to complete the experiment)

2. what kind of chemicals/compounds/equipment do you have access to (kinda tied in with 1, without adequate supervision your options would be very limited, a lot of reaction components have to be maintained under certain conditions, and some others are dangerous to transfer)

Also, anything that is potentially fun/interesting and also safe and easy will probably be very common.

Hey All,

So I have to find 3 experiments for Orgo 2 to complete and I really want to find an experiment that's both fun and educational. Since I want to go to med-school, probably something medicine related would be nice but not the synthesis of asprin because I see that WAY to often online.

Any suggestions?

Two problems with your post...

1.) There are no cool/fun Ochem2 experiments.
2.) You watch Ochem experiments online? :eek:

yes! there is a fun one. there is a radical/polymer orgo experiment out there where you make silly puddy. i think you can ad dyes to it as well. try searching on the journal of chemical education.

yes! there is a fun one. there is a radical/polymer orgo experiment out there where you make silly puddy. i think you can ad dyes to it as well. try searching on the journal of chemical education.

Touché! I stand corrected, that is in fact a very cool experiment!! You do it and I'll smash the silly putty onto the newspaper and stretch peoples faces! :D

really fun/cool and organic lab, don't belong in the same sentence.

Was just about to say that. My chemistry department needs serious phlebotomying. You read that right.

Status
Not open for further replies.