Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2010
Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey All,

So I have to find 3 experiments for Orgo 2 to complete and I really want to find an experiment that's both fun and educational. Since I want to go to med-school, probably something medicine related would be nice but not the synthesis of asprin because I see that WAY to often online.

Any suggestions?

wanderer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Look up the synthesis of nylon. It seems pretty interesting. I am not sure you would be able to get the starting materials easily though.

BurghStudent

lurker
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, or if it is done too often but search for the luminol chemiluminescence test for blood. Its used in forensics.

WhizoMD

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
really fun/cool and organic lab, don't belong in the same sentence.

Anyway, to get more useful responses, I think you need to provide a bit more info. Like:
1. Who's supervising (almost every experiment I did for lab was pretty simple, but that was because T.A.'s usually handled the complex or potentially dangerous parts that were necessary to complete the experiment)

2. what kind of chemicals/compounds/equipment do you have access to (kinda tied in with 1, without adequate supervision your options would be very limited, a lot of reaction components have to be maintained under certain conditions, and some others are dangerous to transfer)

Also, anything that is potentially fun/interesting and also safe and easy will probably be very common.

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind
Hey All,

So I have to find 3 experiments for Orgo 2 to complete and I really want to find an experiment that's both fun and educational. Since I want to go to med-school, probably something medicine related would be nice but not the synthesis of asprin because I see that WAY to often online.

Any suggestions?
Two problems with your post...

1.) There are no cool/fun Ochem2 experiments.
2.) You watch Ochem experiments online? :eek:

JasonE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2008
Status
yes! there is a fun one. there is a radical/polymer orgo experiment out there where you make silly puddy. i think you can ad dyes to it as well. try searching on the journal of chemical education.

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind
yes! there is a fun one. there is a radical/polymer orgo experiment out there where you make silly puddy. i think you can ad dyes to it as well. try searching on the journal of chemical education.
Touché! I stand corrected, that is in fact a very cool experiment!! You do it and I'll smash the silly putty onto the newspaper and stretch peoples faces! :D

Arjuna

Wielder of the Brahmastra
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
really fun/cool and organic lab, don't belong in the same sentence.
Was just about to say that. My chemistry department needs serious phlebotomying. You read that right.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Posting to ask for homework help is not allowed on SDN. Closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.