REALLY good LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agirl1986

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have a LOR from the chancellor of a REALLY good university, how do I make it known that he has written me one without having the admissions committee go through my file? my GPA is a 3.3 and I'm taking the MCAT in july, so I'm hoping to have good numbers to apply, but if not, I'm hoping the LOR will help a lot. but I don't know how to make it stand out in my application. Because after all, you have to have certain numbers to even get the other parts of your application looked at, right?

Members don't see this ad.

In secondaries, where they ask you who has written you a LOR, write the name and his title. That's the only place where you can really say that someone important has written you a LOR.

If I have a LOR from the chancellor of a REALLY good university, how do I make it known that he has written me one without having the admissions committee go through my file? my GPA is a 3.3 and I'm taking the MCAT in july, so I'm hoping to have good numbers to apply, but if not, I'm hoping the LOR will help a lot. but I don't know how to make it stand out in my application. Because after all, you have to have certain numbers to even get the other parts of your application looked at, right?

Umm...unless you want to add it to your personal statement or find a way to work it into your AMCAS...they're going to have to look at your file. Generally the letter of rec come AFTER they get the primary app. And...you'd have to have a hell of a story (that somehow wasn't in your personal statement) for a rec to matter to the point of getting you in. Did you work with the guy? Just curious as most people barely know the chancellor of the university and in general it's better to have a letter from someone that's relatively familiar with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you asking how to "skip" the initial GPA/MCAT screen that some programs have?

You can't. They're screens. Unfortunately, what they're saying is that if you don't meet their minimum criteria, they don't want to see the rest of your app. Sad, but true.

he was my professor before he became chancellor, so he knows me pretty well. this whole process sucks! but thanks for your input :)