Really late Thank You cards or none at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paisley1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel awful about this: I didn't send Thank You cards to the interviewers at two schools that I interviewed at about a month ago. I would like to but am wondering: would it be better to send them in late or to not send them in at all at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat. I was told that the committee would be meeting the night of my interview to make a decision. I didn't feel compelled to send thank you notes, as I felt they would have little to no effect on the decision made.

I am not sending them. Generally, I do send them. I hope I don't regret my decision.

I would advise you not to send them. Your call, though.

I really don't think thank you notes have mcuh if any bearing on gaining an acceptance. If you want to thank your interviewers for their time, then send a note. Since you feel "awful", just go ahead and send a note!

If the only reason you'd bother is if you think it will gain you points (ala Swampman), then don't bother.

Members don't see this ad :)
racergirl,

I guess I am evil. Evil evil me for conforming and sending cards in an attempt not to piss people off, which could work against all of my efforts.

I do not worry about gaining points, I worry about losing points. Some interviewers expect notes. I think this is what paisley is worrying about also.

Had I thoroughly enjoyed my interviews, I would have sent cards (regardless of when the decision was being made).

Do I write incoherently? Am I somehow abrasive? What's the deal? Some people on these boards need to quit jumping to conclusions.

I would guess it never hurts to send the thank you card, even if late. and it could hurt not to send one at all. From what I can tell, many schools simply put it in your file so it doesn't matter when you send it in.

I haven't applied yet, but I have been told that it is important to always keep sending the schools something or the other to ...well, pretty much keep your file "in the circuit" with occasional notes etc that need to be put in. There IS a possibility that your file may actually be picked up and read that way....

atleast that's what I hear.

Tweetie

actually i have heard this year is different, with the Anthrax scare and all. I have heard it is best to send few stuff into the mail, especially because of the Anthrax scare...don't preoccupy the postmen with unnecessary things, and let pple who have more important mail to be delievered and sent! :D

that is what I heard from one med school, besides it doesnt make a difference, so send them an email Thank you, if you really feel indebted towards them :D

Send them. Besides what would it hurt (unless you're a bastard who likes to put anthrax in your mail).

I would send them, better late than never. Plus, it will put your mind at ease...

Swampman,

Yeah I don't know what the deal is. I just reread my post from yesterday and it did indeed sound really bitchy! What the heck was my point? I usually think I've gotten old enough not to talk out of my butt by accident, but obviously not.

No, you write clearly enough. I was the one writing like a turd brain. I guess my point was that s/he should go ahead and send a letter if she wants and not worry about how it will "look". You know, because sometimes us premeds over-ANAL-ize everything! Why I chose to use you as an example is beyond me.

So in conclusion, you are not evil. My bad. Sorry!

racergirl,

IT'S ALLLLLL GOOD! Just got an acceptance from the school! Life is grand!

Oh yeah, congrats on yours!

Wahooooooo

I struggled with this issue too. It didnt hurt me though because I didnt send a single thank you note to any of the schools I applied to.

But if I had to do it again, I would go ahead and send thank you notes anyways just to make sure.

Originally posted by SwampMan:
•racergirl,

IT'S ALLLLLL GOOD! Just got an acceptance from the school! Life is grand!

Oh yeah, congrats on yours!

Wahooooooo•••

HOLY CRAP!!! That is awesome, DOCTOR Swampman! Congrats 28,000 times over! Woo-Hoo!!!