Really Long(IA), 3.6sgpa, 3.53cgpa, MCAT 504-->506-->509 School list and WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starlord005

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello y'all,

After reading so many WAMC, definitely nervous to be posting, but I wanted some opinions on WAMC, as well as, a possible school list. Going to be a pretty long post, but its comprehensive of my app. The story is below with the IA.

Double Major: Biology & Psychology
sGPA:
3.59 cGPA: 3.56 (PUT IT THROUGH AMCAS CALCULATOR)
MCAT:
504(2015) --> 506 (2017) --> 509 (2017, unbalanced) [126 C/P, 125 CARS, 127B, 131 P/S)
Disadvantaged, FAP, IA case, Cali resident, Vietnamese/french, non-trad (23, graduated UCSD; 2016)

Clinical Hours:

• 100 Hours in the ED department at one hospital (was able to shadow here as well, unofficially though)
  • 160 hours in another internship at another hospital where I rotated through 4 different departments every 3 months (ICU, cardiovascular progressive care, behavioral health unit and primary care medical clinic), and I'm still in it. I'm actually rotating to ED again, god I love ED.
Nonclinical Hours:
  • 130 hours volunteering as a camp counselor for children with muscular dystrophy (1 week, stayed up nights to assist)
  • 250 hours as an academic integrity peer educator (very important for the IA case; 2 years as a peer educator)
  • 120 hours as public health brigadier for global brigades in Honduras (spring break [1 week each] for two years, was vice-president for the latter year; built public health projects to prevent a variety of diseases.)
Shadowing:
  • 20 hours with an Infectious Disease Doctor
Employed Clinical:
  • Currently, have 500 hours as an EMT for a nationally known ambulance company called American Medical Response (AMR). Will project to have 2800hrs by next year
Employed nonclinical:
  • 300 hrs Working at a biotech company as a research intern studying cancer immunotherapy
Research:
  • ~1500 hours over two years doing research to assess antibiotic therapies against multi-drug resistant bacteria
  • presented a poster at an international conference with submitted abstract (ICAAC 2015), won a travel grant for the poster.
  • Currently, have a manuscript in review at a journal with IF of 8.3, as 2nd author and will have another paper as 3/4 author next year.
Awards:
  • scholarship from school based on merit, financial need, leadership and essay on philanthropy
Clubs (leadership):
  • 4 years in a social frat, was the academic chair for 3 years and vice-president for 1 year.
Hobbies: Breakdancing :)

For the IA, I collaborated with two other students on an essay. We received F's in the class and had to take a workshop seminar. I swirled down a tunnel of defeat wavering from becoming a doctor, but my mother passed away the following summer. I reevaluated my life accepted responsibilities for my mistake internally. I decided to become an academic integrity peer educator to guide others through my mistakes. As a peer, I guide students through the academic violation process and give guidance for questions they may have about integrity. I assist with academic integrity seminars and spread awareness by giving presentations to local high schools and university classrooms. I've done a lot of maturing over the past two years as an academic integrity peer educator and am receiving LOR from the director of academic integrity as well as my direct advisor.

Any opinions/schoo list would be much appreciated! I do plan on applying to all Cali Schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
These are OOS schools where you could receive an interview with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
St.Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that may open for 2018 (Seton Hall, Roseman, etc.)
The GPA-MCAT grid shows your chances for a MD acceptance are only ~50% so I suggest applying to at least 8 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools. You may need a DO LOR for some schools.