Aug 6, 2011
Status
From what i've gathered. I thought all i had to take was:
1 yr chem
1 yr bio
1 yr org chem
Calc and physics i did aswell.

Now i see some schools need physiology, some schools need biochem, etc etc, just this and that. I'm just so confused, because im an engineer major, and it takes 5 years to become a engineer, and because i wanted to go to dental school it added another year because of the bio class i had to fit in, so 6 years. and now there are all these other classes schools want....

I honestly thought it was just chem, bio, org. Now all these other classes. Can anyone help me on what i do im just so lost.

jeffity

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Dentist
1 yr chem
1 yr bio
1 yr org chem

Now i see some schools need physiology, some schools need biochem, etc etc, just this and that. I'm just so confused, because im an engineer major, and it takes 5 years to become a engineer, and because i wanted to go to dental school it added another year because of the bio class i had to fit in, so 6 years. and now there are all these other classes schools want....

I honestly thought it was just chem, bio, org. Now all these other classes. Can anyone help me on what i do im just so lost.
Not all. In fact, not that many want the additional pre-reqs. Best thing to do is check the school's websites for pre-reqs. The ADEA Guidebook is good for that too, but to be certain it's accurate, just check the websites.

You are correct, the core 4 for almost every school out there (I can only think of 1 that doesn't follow this off the top of my head):
1 yr chem
1 yr bio
1 yr org chem
1 yr physics
(1 year English? I don't know how many want the year, but this is usually something you just have when you do a degree anyway.)

Some might want just biochem or just micro or just anatomy or just physiology or any combination of those...including a few who want all of those. A few schools have some other requirements which can usually be fulfilled by just taking regular classes (not really degree-specific) that fit under most degrees. But just check schools you might be interested in. Seriously, it's not a lot of schools that want an abundance of extra classes. So don't fret.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist

Tooth

Orthodontist
10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
Status
Non-Student
1 yr chem
1 yr bio
1 yr org chem

I too was once in an engineering program (EE). Once I realized that programming computers just wasn't my forte, I switched back to my childhood dream of being a dentist. I was amazed at how easily the prerequisites for EE jived with the Biology major. I was also told that some schools required anatomy, biochem, etc. I took anatomy but never got around to biochem. I only applied to 7 schools, and none of them even required either course. You really need to look at each school's requirements and decide which classes you'll need from there. If it means adding another year just to get those courses, it's not worth applying to those schools. By the way, it was a great decision to drop EE. The quality of life is sooo much better. Biology is a cake walk compared to all that programming. My respects to the EE's.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
1 yr chem
1 yr bio
1 yr org chem

I am not an "engineer" per say, but I did change careers from I.T into dentistry and let me tell you, you are freaking out over nothing lol

These are considered upper level biology courses, and there aren't that many (Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, and few others)...... The ones I just listed are pretty common amongst most pre-meds / pre-dents. It is actually within your BEST advantage to take them cause many schools (even the ones whom don't require them) seem to put a good emphasis on them when considering your application for interview..... There is a reason they are "highly recommended" by many schools.

Apr 3, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
I was a computer science major. I took the basic requirements in addition to some upper division. If you can, I think you should try to take upper division (zoo, phys, cell bio, anatomy, etc). It looks good on your resume and tells the adcoms that you're competitive with other bio ppl. Also, these upper div will help in studying for the DAT, but I did find myself studying new material outside of these classes.

Coming from an engineering background, I think you have a definite advantage over the traditional student as you can bring what you learned to bio. I definitely did not forget about what I learned and just applied it. Helps a lot when you think of the body as a circuit, functions, etc.

I'm probably reiterating what others have said, but I think it's the way to go. Good luck!

Last edited: