Really need advice from older colleagues (Anesthesia Vs Psych)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gigo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short:

Finished med. school (not in US) in 2009, was very concerned about potential $$ an started residency in orthopedics ... hated it, was bored, hated THR and TKR after just couple of surgeries so I dropped in 2013, learned language, found job as non-surgical orthopedist in PM&R clinic and moved to Germany in 2013, worked there for 3 years while preparing myself for GWP (local USMLe analogue) passed it 2 weeks ago and now its time to choose my future speciality (Im 33 a.t.m.)

here comes tricky part: I always was interested in Psy but in PM&R I loved to work with pain pts. and since in med. school (and ortho residency) I found anesthesia very compelling to me, I am split between those to, in next week I have 3 Job interviews (both psy and anesthesia) and Im still not sure what is best for me, thus I would be very thankful for any advice (except advice to read old threads, have done it already)

Psy +s for me: 1.interest 2.lifestyle 3.relatively easy to find a job in Europe

Psy -s for me:
1. having mental issues myself (GAD, Depression and cannabis abuse) which I was not able to clear not only by myself but with help from therapist as well, have still lots of unanswered questions
2. Nothing is ''clear'' as in surgery and that makes angst (is this my GAD?)
3. I have absolutely no idea what it takes to work in Psy (I have done rotation and ellective for 1 mo, but not more)
4. I don't want to practice general Psy. mostly because of not feeling at ease with psy. patients, my end destination will be: either addiction medicine or child-and-adolescent psychiatry&Psychotherapy
5. I have this idea stuck in my head that it won't be enough just to work as psychiatrist, I have to do research too and probably won't have any significant results

Anesthesia +s

1. being able to develop skills and work as ''real doctor'' (I love being in hospital and working in team) plust I love working with my hands
2. $
3. I dont have any issues with surgeons being hard to communicate (being ex. surgeon myself) I really don't have any fear of this
4. relatively easy to find a job in Europe
5. You go home and forget your patients! after your job is done
6. Perspective to add Pain medicine + PM&R in future

Anesthesia -s

1. playing mostly supportive role for whole of your life (is it right?)
2. potential disasterous cases (I have fears that I will fail to save my pt.)

My head is boiling : I

Any advice is very welcomed!

Members don't see this ad.

Based on your listings, you seem an easier fit for Anesthesiology right now, though Psych would be more of a "growth opportunity." Read Growth as challenging but rewarding in the long run for you. Get into some therapy along the way, so whichever choice you make [first], you have someone to help you think through your feelings.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Long story short:

Finished med. school (not in US) in 2009, was very concerned about potential $$ an started residency in orthopedics ... hated it, was bored, hated THR and TKR after just couple of surgeries so I dropped in 2013, learned language, found job as non-surgical orthopedist in PM&R clinic and moved to Germany in 2013, worked there for 3 years while preparing myself for GWP (local USMLe analogue) passed it 2 weeks ago and now its time to choose my future speciality (Im 33 a.t.m.)

here comes tricky part: I always was interested in Psy but in PM&R I loved to work with pain pts. and since in med. school (and ortho residency) I found anesthesia very compelling to me, I am split between those to, in next week I have 3 Job interviews (both psy and anesthesia) and Im still not sure what is best for me, thus I would be very thankful for any advice (except advice to read old threads, have done it already)

Psy +s for me: 1.interest 2.lifestyle 3.relatively easy to find a job in Europe

Psy -s for me:
1. having mental issues myself (GAD, Depression and cannabis abuse) which I was not able to clear not only by myself but with help from therapist as well, have still lots of unanswered questions
2. Nothing is ''clear'' as in surgery and that makes angst (is this my GAD?)
3. I have absolutely no idea what it takes to work in Psy (I have done rotation and ellective for 1 mo, but not more)
4. I don't want to practice general Psy. mostly because of not feeling at ease with psy. patients, my end destination will be: either addiction medicine or child-and-adolescent psychiatry&Psychotherapy
5. I have this idea stuck in my head that it won't be enough just to work as psychiatrist, I have to do research too and probably won't have any significant results

Anesthesia +s

1. being able to develop skills and work as ''real doctor'' (I love being in hospital and working in team) plust I love working with my hands
2. $
3. I dont have any issues with surgeons being hard to communicate (being ex. surgeon myself) I really don't have any fear of this
4. relatively easy to find a job in Europe
5. You go home and forget your patients! after your job is done
6. Perspective to add Pain medicine + PM&R in future

Anesthesia -s

1. playing mostly supportive role for whole of your life (is it right?)
2. potential disasterous cases (I have fears that I will fail to save my pt.)

My head is boiling : I

Any advice is very welcomed!

Psych makes more than Anesthesiologists and Orthopedics these days according to the Anesthesiology forum. Might have to go back to residency myself.

Trying to delete this ...I entered it in mistake

You already once went into a field you were ill-prepared for the realities of with ortho. Why would you risk doing it again?

Reactions: 1 users
Don't go into psych to figure yourself out, it is seriously the worst possible environment for that.
Why didn't you consider PM&R? It's got a nice smooth path to pain without having to do operative anesthesia if you're not interested in that.