REALLY NEED ADVICE!!!! sGPA 3.03, cGPA 3.36, MCAT 27T

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigDreams113

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I really need advice on what steps to take after graduating in June; here are my stats:

I would really like to go to DO school; here are my stats/ECs:
cGPA: 3.36 (still have one quarter left)
sGPA: 3.0 (it's low, I know)
MCAT 27T; planning on re-taking in the summer
I am majoring in physiological science with a minor in classics
I have over 300+ hours of volunteering in the hospital.
I have been in research for 2 years, no publications.
President of one club, Philanthropy Co-Director for another.
Internship teaching underprivileged middle school kids.
Shadowing experience (DO shadow in summer after graduation)

I will be taking one year off, and will be retaking the MCAT in that time. I looking at WUCOM and LECOM, but I'm pretty sure they are out of reach. What I need advice on is:
1) Do I need to re-take classes to get into a school? Financially, I'd like to avoid this.
2) Would an MCAT score above 30 help balance that sGPA?
3) When should I look to apply? I need to give myself time to re-take MCAT.
4) What would you do if you were me?

Thank you so much! ANY advice would be SO GREATLY APPRECIATED !

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

WCU and LECOM are within reach. Getting over a 30 may only mitigate the sGPA so much. Personally, I'd retake courses at a community college rather than retake the MCAT.

WCU and LECOM are within reach. Getting over a 30 may only mitigate the sGPA so much. Personally, I'd retake courses at a community college rather than retake the MCAT.

+1.....
If you are the typical college student who graduates with 120-130 credits, retaking 3-4 sciences classes that you had bad grades on might put your sGPA at 3.2+. With 27 mcat, you will have multiple interviews and your chances will be much better. You should not retake that mcat....

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply broadly! You should be able to get in somewhere.

Well, re-taking clases will do wonders for your GPAs. The sGPA is borderline unacceptable. We frequently will interview sucha persona nd then say "nice guy/gal, but I'm concerned about that sGPA" and then they get wait listed.

:
1) Do I need to re-take classes to get into a school? Financially, I'd like to avoid this.

At some schools it will, and probably mine.

Apply ONLY when you're ready. Applying in Oct isn't lethal for DO programs like it is for MDs...we have a long cycle.

Your Ecs are fine, and I would re-take any F/D/C grades. An MCAT of 27 is fine for DO programs.

- depends on how many of those sciences are messed up (under a B or B-) say you made a D in something, it would be way cheaper to retake that versus taking three C+ over, but I'm sure you're aware of that. Everything Looks good except for that sGPA, needs to be at least a 3.15-3.2 to start getting in the ball park.

- MCAT scores always help, even if your not applying to med school, but some people are just good test takers and admission boards know this. Generally speaking, it is "supposedly" weighed the same, but we all know it isn't.

-I personaly don't really know much about this so I don't want to give false information or mislead anyone in anyway.

-If I were you, I would focus on whatever classes is holding that sGPA back because that is your weak link in the chain, so to speak. Nothing you have is bad, but just little under par. So retake classes, I know it sucks financially, but it will a better investment in the long run than trying to avoid it.

My rule of thumb is to spend the money to save the time, becasue you cannot get more time; applying to medical school is about your timing and how prepared you are every cycle. If you don't feel too good about one, just wait take a year (not a long time) retake things and focus to polish your application.

Is is possible to apply while signed up to re-take science classes? Or do they expect to have all classes/grades in BEFORE you apply?

Thank you everyone for your help, by the way!

Also, when it comes down to it, are my stats okay now to get in somewhere? Thanks again!

New schools, apply broadly, don't retake mcat, sign up for fall retakes.

Also, when it comes down to it, are my stats okay now to get in somewhere? Thanks again!
It could go either way. The sGPA is just very low and the cGPA is below the average. I find that if you're weak in one area you can compensate somewhat on another, but being weak in 2 areas makes it hard, but not impossible. Again, apply to the new schools, LMU, WCU and LECOM-S or E.

DO chances aren't great either, but apply smartly.

Would you recommend re-taking the science courses over retaking the MCAT? I never got below a B- in any of the sciences; it was just a lot of Bs.

I'm really aiming for LECOM or Western University (CA or OR). I'm thinking that retaking the science courses is my best bet for these colleges; is it realistic to be looking at these two ?

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Would you recommend re-taking the science courses over retaking the MCAT? I never got below a B- in any of the sciences; it was just a lot of Bs.

I'm really aiming for LECOM or Western University (CA or OR). I'm thinking that retaking the science courses is my best bet for these colleges; is it realistic to be looking at these two ?

Thank you!!

Don't retake the MCAT, it'll just suck the life out of you and you already have a decent score :) I say throw caution to the wind and just apply! Sign up for retakes but like you said, you have B's and in my opinion that's better than having 1/2 A's and 1/2 C's or something.

If the average acceptance GPA for a school is 3.5, maybe that means that some people with 4.0's were accepted and some people with 3.0's were accepted! :)

GL!!

I got a 26 (with a 6 in Bio :( ) But I have a good ECs, sGPA is around 3.8 and cGPA is a 3.9. I know I'll be out of reach with most MD schools but I do wanna go to DO. Do I have a good chance at most DOs?

I got a 26 (with a 6 in Bio :( ) But I have a good ECs, sGPA is around 3.8 and cGPA is a 3.9. I know I'll be out of reach with most MD schools but I do wanna go to DO. Do I have a good chance at most DOs?
Not at most. I'd say at a few. A 6 in biology is simply too low. If it were in VR or PS, I could see them ignoring it and taking the overall. You should seriously consider retaking. Increasing 4 points in the biology section is not impossible.

Not at most. I'd say at a few. A 6 in biology is simply too low. If it were in VR or PS, I could see them ignoring it and taking the overall. You should seriously consider retaking. Increasing 4 points in the biology section is not impossible.

:thumbdown:

The GPA and the 26 overall more than makes up for the bio 6. I think they will be fine.

:thumbdown:

The GPA and the 26 overall more than makes up for the bio 6. I think they will be fine.
He'll get in somewhere, but the better schools like Western, CCOM, etc. have enough applications that a gamble on BS of 6 seems unlikely to me.

He'll get in somewhere, but the better schools like Western, CCOM, etc. have enough applications that a gamble on BS of 6 seems unlikely to me.

I know this is a stupid question...but what makes one school "better" than another school? Is it the quality of education? Residency opportunities? etc etc

I know this is a stupid question...but what makes one school "better" than another school? Is it the quality of education? Residency opportunities? etc etc

I think most on SDN look at it from average stats (GPAs and MCAT) of matriculated students, longevity of the school and residency match.