Really need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eltor07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my scores from the June 15th exam and got a 10 in PS, 11 in BS, a M in writing, and a 7 in verbal. I'm really disappointed with my verbal score since I was getting around 9-10 on the practice exams before I took the real test. I already signed up for the August 9th exam since seats were scarce and would like your advice on if I should retake it or not. I know by retaking it, my applications will be held till my scores come back and I'm stuck with this dilemma.

Also, my father is going through chemotherapy and I am very stressed and sad seeing him as weak as he is. I'm not sure if taking the MCAT is a good idea.

I'm from NJ and I really want to get into RWJMS, but with the low verbal score, I don't know if that's possible.

Any advice please?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really sorry to hear about your predicament. I went to Rutgers and know tons of people who have gone to or gotten into RW, so I can offer you tons of scenarios where people got in with low a MCAT. However, the 28 is pushing it, definitely. If you can offer any information on extenuating circumstances for secondaries, definitely write about a serious illness in the family being very distressing and time consuming. They'll put two and two together, realizing that your dad's condition definitely held you back for the MCAT. I know several people who made it into Robert Wood with a 29, but from what they've told me, they feel like they just barely made it. They did not, however, have any major problems going on at the time.

The point is you're definitely capable of better, so it might not hurt to try again. You can be evaluated without the new MCAT until September 9th (when the new scores are available).

I wish you and your family the best in these times. I'm sure your dad draws a lot of his strength from you and the rest of your family. If med school doesn't work out this year (and I'm not saying that it won't!), the hard work and energy that you've given to your family will be appreciated.

Thanks for the advice guys, especially you mmcnam. What you said brightened my day and motivated me. I'm still gonna shoot for taking it on Aug 9th and work on my verbal, but if I see what's going on at home is really affecting me and I feel I may do worst than I guess I'll just get the refund.

If I do bring up verbal to say a 9 and keep PS and BS the same and get a 30 will I still have a shot at RWJ if all my apps go through the beginning of September?

Members don't see this ad :)
There's just something about the MCAT and how people seemed to get screwed on the VR section. Same thing happened to me (11P 13 B 7V). I recommend taking it again. I myself am taking it in September, and while the apps will be delayed you should be fine (I've talked with deans about this). In the meanwhile go ahead and fill out your secondaries.

I recommend hitting the EK 101 VR hard everyday for an hour and keep up on your sciences. I'm sorry to hear the tough times you're having right now. Don't overburden yourself, though. Family always comes first, before anything else, especially a stupid test that will mean absolutely nothing once you get accepted. I wish you the best of luck, and I'm sure in the end, you'll be fine.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm going to continue with the Ek 101 Verbal passages, but I only have tests 7-11 left and I wish I had more. I wish you the best of luck on your Sept exam.

I hope I have enough time to bring up the verbal.

Yeah, I believe that's the major problem I have because when I go back, I see I've made stupid mistakes like not read the question correctly or completely miss something in the passage.

I really wish there was any easy way I can completely focus.

My pleasure - I come from a really big family and I know how important it is for people to depend on one another and also how appreciated it is.

One thing I thought of - I have known two people who've been rejected from NJ med bc they don't show overt passion for medicine. Both of these people had high GPA's and very high MCAT scores, but they didn't express a desire to practice medicine. As long as you can make it clear that you really and truly want to be a doctor, any flaws in your MCAT will most likely be overlooked. I know you didn't mention NJ med but it's probably on your list. Best of luck to you!