really need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosdef

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am in serious trouble, I took the MCAT last year and got a 11PS 10BS and 6VR. Being stupid, I really did not improve my verbal reasoning skills much during the school year, and hoped to really improve in the summer, however it seems to have not paid off. I used examkrackers 101 and am still getting around 6 or 7. Should I take the MCAT, since I feel I will get a 7, and at best an 8 (if lucky), or should I wait till april and take a year off, but this time really try improving my reading skills during the school year. I just finished my junior year, and will now be heading into my last year at UCLA

Members don't see this ad.

I guess that depends on where you want to go to school. Overall, your scores sound pretty good. Personally, I wouldn't assume I can't improve verbal. I would go ahead and take it and see how it goes. And, frankly, unless you want a top school, I'd go ahead and apply. Surely there is more to you than a mediocre verbal score, right?

Is English your first language? If not, they might give you more leeway on the VR score. With double figures in your science subsections, I would think that a 7 or 8 in verbal would put you in good shape if English is your second language.

If English is your first language, I don't think many adcoms will cut you much slack on the 6 in VR. Some questions for you:

What is your GPA?
What is your state of residence?
Where do you want to attend medical school?

Your answers to these questions, plus your ethnicity, will play a huge role in determining what score you probably need to get in.

My GPA is a 3.97 at UCLA. I am a california resident and I don't really mind where I go to med school, just as long as I can get in. English is also my first language.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you applying this cycle? If you are, you have no choice but to take the august mcat. If you're not, then take the mcat in april when you feel more confident. If you do decide to take the mcat in april, be sure to know what to work on. verbal is not a subject that you can easily improve on. Simply taking english classes during teh school year may not help. Determine what your weaknesses are...is it timing? is it reading comprehension? is it your inability to distinguish the correct answer from an incorrect ones? know your weaknesses...and work on them until they become your strength.

mosdef said:
Hey guys,

I am in serious trouble, I took the MCAT last year and got a 11PS 10BS and 6VR. Being stupid, I really did not improve my verbal reasoning skills much during the school year, and hoped to really improve in the summer, however it seems to have not paid off. I used examkrackers 101 and am still getting around 6 or 7. Should I take the MCAT, since I feel I will get a 7, and at best an 8 (if lucky), or should I wait till april and take a year off, but this time really try improving my reading skills during the school year. I just finished my junior year, and will now be heading into my last year at UCLA

Oh man...I am in the exact same situation as you, got a 10P, 10B, 7V last August. Took EK 101 and got mostly 9-10, but then on the last EK exam got a 8. I took the 7R verbal last saturday and got a 9P, 9B, 9V...I am also thinking whether I should retake it or not.

PM an SDN'er named Ramoray. This kid went thru the exact same situation as you and may be able to offer some insight. With an 8 you will be able to get in. 6-7 maybe not.