Really need some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jnorman1218

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a graduating senior in an athletic training program. My CGPA is ~3.8 and my science is ~3.6. Here is my dilemma; I am taking a TPR prep class for the May 1st MCAT. However, because of my full course load, clinicals, and having to study for my cert. test for AT (which is April 6th), I have not had anywhere near the time I need to study for the MCAT. I took the first TPR Diag test, which I only got a 17 on. I am pretty concerned that I am not going to get a good score.

Do you think if I get a low 20 on the MCAT, I will have any chance at all of getting in somewhere (MD or DO). I do not have much volunteer time or extra curricular activities. However, I do have very extensive clinical experience with heavy patient contact (over 1000 hours) as well as physician contact (we have to have a supervising physician). And I will have a year work experience as an athletic trainer. I know this is somewhat of a theoretical question, but any advice would REALLY be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Low 20s might get you into podiatry school, but is unlikely to get you into any US med school. The need for community service on your application, as well as clinical environment experience (depending on where you've been as an AT, you may not have this yet, at a clinic or hospital setting), as well as broader physician shadowing than orthopods alone, tells me you are rushing toward a below mediocre application. You haven't mentioned leadership, teaching, or research, either.

Take one thing at a time. Get the additional experiences started, study for the AT test, change your timeline, and don't take the MCAT until you're consistently scoring in the 31 range (for MD), or 27 range (for DO). Apply to med schools in June 2011 when your application is the best it can be.

I think you shouldnt be so worried about the diagnostic test. TPR intentionally makes diagnostic tests harder than the actual test so they won't have to refund your money. Their policy is basically if you do worse on the actual test, they'll refund your TPR course money. Verbal will be hard to improve, but BS and PS are easily do-able. Keep up with your current science classes. Most of the material on the test you've already been exposed to so it's just a matter of refreshing your memory. Plus, you'll definitely see an improvement at the end of your TPR course. Just going to their classes are good, because they're basically lectures to help you refresh some stuff, and you'll get to do some more practice in class. After your AT test, focus on the MCAT. If you feel you're not ready, push it back and take it jun 16th-ish as a last resort.

Good luck!

So I am a graduating senior in an athletic training program. My CGPA is ~3.8 and my science is ~3.6. Here is my dilemma; I am taking a TPR prep class for the May 1st MCAT. However, because of my full course load, clinicals, and having to study for my cert. test for AT (which is April 6th), I have not had anywhere near the time I need to study for the MCAT. I took the first TPR Diag test, which I only got a 17 on. I am pretty concerned that I am not going to get a good score.

Do you think if I get a low 20 on the MCAT, I will have any chance at all of getting in somewhere (MD or DO). I do not have much volunteer time or extra curricular activities. However, I do have very extensive clinical experience with heavy patient contact (over 1000 hours) as well as physician contact (we have to have a supervising physician). And I will have a year work experience as an athletic trainer. I know this is somewhat of a theoretical question, but any advice would REALLY be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! I have been considering pushing it back until June. I know that means I will be applying late, but if I can do better in June I think it would be worth it. Either way, I will apply this cycle and see what happens, but I am anticipating having to wait until next year, which may not be a bad thing. Like Catalystik said, I will be able to get some more leadership and volunteer experience.