Really Need Some Direction: Low GPA/Stagnant Trend, should I do a postbac for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endroller78

Reaction score
General Information:
I'm a first-generation student, and I am currently a student studying biochem, and I originally planned on applying for the 2024 cycle (one gap year). My senior year is about to start soon (2022-2023).

I left some details left unclear for privacy. If you want to know the specifics as to why I want to do medical school, I can direct message if that helps. I personally feel secure in my "why" for my essays, but I need some advice on my stats. I do not have a lot of support in my circles, so any honest input is very much appreciated.

I will be taking the MCAT in January of 2023 after winter break.

My Main Questions:
-After reading Goro's reinvention page, should I do a postbac to enhance my gpa? I believe I can benefit a lot from a formal postbac, and this something I'm willing to do.
-Aside from increasing my clinical hours and maintaining a high MCAT score, what else I could potentially work on in my gap year?

My Stats:

1. cGPA:
3.3 sGPA: 3.0
Note: I failed one organic chemistry class and had to retake it. I have one small upward trend in junior year, but I generally have stagnant Bs in my science courses.

2. Recent Mock MCAT Score: 508 (125/125/128/130), started studying last month

[deleted other stats for privacy]

I know I do not have an official MCAT score yet, but I am grateful for insights in regards to what I have right now, so I can determine whether I should apply to a postbac.

Thanks a ton.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed a trend of several DO schools becoming MCAT whorres. So if you really can get a 508 then you’d be in the upper end of DO applicants and it would somewhat offset your GPA. It also depends on how your senior year goes. But keep in mind that if you study for the MCAT during your senior year and end up doing poorly in your classes then you’ll just end up digging yourself into a bigger hole…

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve noticed a trend of several DO schools becoming MCAT whorres. So if you really can get a 508 then you’d be in the upper end of DO applicants and it would somewhat offset your GPA. It also depends on how your senior year goes. But keep in mind that if you study for the MCAT during your senior year and end up doing poorly in your classes then you’ll just end up digging yourself into a bigger hole…

Appreciate the replies thus far! I'll be mainly be studying for the MCAT this summer and winter break in preparation for Jan/Feb 2023. I plan to put my studying on hold for Autumn term for my gpa, so I also have been wondering if I should just take the MCAT in September. That decision is ultimately on me though.

Gunning for MD? Then yes, you need a postbac or SMP.
I need to make clear of things in regards to my timeline, so if I were to finish my MCAT in early 2023 and start my postbac (I'm looking at a 1-year formal postbac) in late 2023, I would be using May 2024 and onwards to work on my application for the 2024 cycle?

For now, I will focus on my MCAT this summer and prioritize raising my gpa in my senior year. I'm going taking a hiatus on some of my extracurriculars in preparation too. Thank you!

Appreciate the replies thus far! I'll be mainly be studying for the MCAT this summer and winter break in preparation for Jan/Feb 2023. I plan to put my studying on hold for Autumn term for my gpa, so I also have been wondering if I should just take the MCAT in September. That decision is ultimately on me though.

I need to make clear of things in regards to my timeline, so if I were to finish my MCAT in early 2023 and start my postbac (I'm looking at a 1-year formal postbac) in late 2023, I would be using May 2024 and onwards to work on my application for the 2024 cycle?

For now, I will focus on my MCAT this summer and prioritize raising my gpa in my senior year. I'm going taking a hiatus on some of my extracurriculars in preparation too. Thank you!

Your timeline and decision to when to take the MCAT is completely on you. Another thing I forgot to mention is that taking the MCAT in January 2023 and applying in Summer of 2024 effectively gives you a single application cycle before your MCAT score expires. Oddly enough, I feel like DO schools are more strict on not taking expiring MCAT scores compared to MD schools (PCOM wouldn’t let me apply because I took the MCAT one week before their cutoff, and I had a 517!).

• Wow
Why are your grades stagnant and why do you think they will be better in a postbac?

Why are your grades stagnant and why do you think they will be better in a postbac?
Looking at my main prereqs (quarter system):

Freshman Year
Chem- 2.8 to 2.5 to 3.0
Biology- 3.3 to 3.2 to 2.7

Sophomore Year
Orgo- 2.4 to (my failed grade was replaced, so this is the new grade) 2.8 to 3.0

Junior Year
Physics- 3.2 to 2.5 (got covid) to 3.4
Biochem- 3.6 to 3.2 (got covid)

I guess what I meant by stagnant has to be the yo-yoing nature of my grades; there are a lot of moments where I do badly in the second class compared to the first and then do slightly better in the last (except for biology, which is a downward trend and orgo being upward). Also, my improvement, although it is improvement, is pretty slow.

The reason why I have faith in a postbac is that I do feel like I am improving in the way I study (the main thing making a difference is getting help right after class and reviewing content everyday to prevent cramming), but even though I'm not the one to make excuses, I felt like it was supposed to be reflected in my junior year if I didn't get covid. I'm not discouraged though (and at this point, I'm numb to discouragement haha), seeing my later physics grade (though still under 3.5).

Also, haha how did the post above get here in the first place?

Anyways, I hope this is helpful information too.

Are these appropriately-calculated AMCAS GPA's, or the GPA's you're reading off your schools' transcripts? I say that because AMCAS does not practice grade forgiveness, so you have to count all A-F grades. It's also more useful to have year-by-year overall/science GPA's rather than term-by-term.

Are these appropriately-calculated AMCAS GPA's, or the GPA's you're reading off your schools' transcripts? I say that because AMCAS does not practice grade forgiveness, so you have to count all A-F grades. It's also more useful to have year-by-year overall/science GPA's rather than term-by-term.

The DO side no longer does grade forgiveness either.

This is reading off my school's transcript. Lemme go do some number-crunching and get back to this (I actually didn't know about this! My bad!)

I used a AMCAS/AACOMAS calculator tool to get these numbers (freshman, sophomore, junior):
Also, I don't exactly remember what I got for my "failed" course because there is just nothing on my transcript, so I put in a C (unless there is a rule about that which I do not know?)
Overall: 3.31>3.25>3.30
Science (AMCAS, AACOMAS is similar): 3.01>2.93>2.96
Dang, my science is way worse than I thought.

Last edited:
I used a AMCAS/AACOMAS calculator tool to get these numbers (freshman, sophomore, junior):
Also, I don't exactly remember what I got for my "failed" course because there is just no credit on my transcript, so I put in a C (unless there is a rule about that which I do not know?)
Overall: 3.31>3.25>3.30
Science (AMCAS, AACOMAS is similar): 3.01>2.93>2.96
Dang, my science is way worse than I thought.
A C grade is considered passing. You will have to report the actual letter grade for both attempts on AMCAS and AACOMAS, so it would be best to find out if you got a D or an F instead.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to dig up the old gradebook, and I got something equivalent to a C for that class. I suppose I was just so used to calling it something I "failed" because I retook it and purged it from my transcript, but it really isn't. My gpa I state above is pretty much the same.

I was thinking about formal postbacs today, but I also recognize I have pretty much zero options for the state I live in, so I'm also debating a DIY one too. At the same time, I'm kind of worried I might go on the wrong direction for DIY (ex. scheduling the wrong classes, not being able to get the classes I want, choosing the wrong college, etc), and the structure of something formal sounds appealing. I'm also super confused on choosing what institution for a formal postbac. All I know on top of my head is that I don't want to do a SMP; I think it's too high of a risk for so much money.

If I were to do a DIY postbac, would I have to do it at a four year institution or is community college ok?

Also, is financial aid given for these kinds of routes?

It would be ideal to do it at a four year institution as you would need to take a variety of upper division science courses (the suggestions of which are on Goro’s guide). The public state universities are usually the most affordable options for this. You may need to mark that you are seeking a 2nd degree in order to enroll and receive federal loans. Some students work first and use savings to pay for classes as well.

Thank you for all of the advice! I am very grateful for all the responses!
I will update on my journey in the later months :)

Yeah. IF you can get another 5+ points on your MCAT, a retake might help you, too.

Make sure you're taking official AAMC practice tests under conditions as close to Test Day as you can get!