Really obvious typo in primary AMCAS application after submission...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physiologist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked over my personal statement around 12 times before I submitted it. I even looked at the document I had copy-pasted it from directly. I didn't see a typo. It may have most likely occurred during an "over the character limit" bit where the interface eats up letters by mistake.

The first word of my sixth paragraph looked like this:

"Transformin g"

I'm afraid the adcoms are going to think I am the least astute person in the universe. I'm still baffled by how I let that slide.

Any advice? Do you know of anyone who got AMCAS to fix it for them?

UPDATE: Yeah, it's obviously a glitch. I just downloaded the pdf of my app and the typo is not there. The typo is, however, in the HTML version. This is super-weird.

UPDATE 2: Just called AMCAS. They said the PDF format is what counts, and my pdf format does not contain the error. Super sigh of relief.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I looked over my personal statement around 12 times before I submitted it. I even looked at the document I had copy-pasted it from directly. I didn't see a typo. It may have most likely occurred during an "over the character limit" bit where the interface eats up letters by mistake.

The first word of my sixth paragraph looked like this:

"Transformin g"

I'm afraid the adcoms are going to think I am the least astute person in the universe. I'm still baffled by how I let that slide.

Any advice? Do you know of anyone who got AMCAS to fix it for them?

This actually seems to be a somewhat common problem with AMCAS. It seems to add random spaces in the PS after you hit submit. There was a thread on this a while back and quite a few people posted about it. I think adcoms probable know about it so I would not worry.

I've heard that most schools reject any applicants who put out-of-place spaces in their personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
@DAPI - Yeah! I honestly think that's what happened in my case because I didn't edit a thing after I copy/pasted from my word document, and when I looked at the exact word document that I pasted, I didn't find the typo. I even looked over the text while previewing my app before submitting and caught nothing. I was the editor of so many papers and journals starting in high school. Thanks for the heads-up. I feel a lot less headdesky now.

I remember attending a conference where there were a few adcom people. Someone asked them the same thing. They both agreed that if that's the only problem, it's not going to hurt you.