Really Really Finally Happy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

majik1213

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soooo I don't want to brag, because it's really not that hot
but I had started my VR 2 years ago, reading every now and then. Finally, this year in college I took lots of liberal arts courses, and my VR score just hit a 10! That is the highest I will ever get in my life I'm sure! Thanks SDN for all the tips.

But what worked for me was "letting go" of the details and merely memorizing where I could find them in the passage.

Members don't see this ad.

oh and let me add it feels damn good to have gotten this far from the 5 in VR i started out with. I used to think that kids getting high VR scores were actually smarter, but I am no smarter than I was with the 5 in VR , only a better test taker.

now i'm actually excited for July 18th :)
And at long last I can finally begin to study the BS and PS sections
Good luck everyone!

P.S. now that I'm in a decent position to say so, I think WS should carry about the same importance as VR. VR measures your reception/absorption of new matieral, WS measures your expression. Both go hand in hand in the medical community. The specific problem with VR is that it measures only short term absorption of new matieral, whereas the WS section measures your ability to express ideas you just learned or knew for a very, very long time.

point is the last thing I'd wanna see is a med student failing to save a life and saying, "oh, but I learned that lesson a year ago."

Soooo I don't want to brag, because it's really not that hot
but I had started my VR 2 years ago, reading every now and then. Finally, this year in college I took lots of liberal arts courses, and my VR score just hit a 10! That is the highest I will ever get in my life I'm sure! Thanks SDN for all the tips.

But what worked for me was "letting go" of the details and merely memorizing where I could find them in the passage.

can you explain?

congrats on teh improvement!

can you explain?

congrats on teh improvement!

certainly, and I think a lot of people out there who are high PS / low VR types will benefit. Basically my big issue was trying too hard to understand what was going on in the passage. The passages are quite complex, and the wording is usually very vague and difficult to understand precisely. So I thought I was just not smart enough. The trick is "to let go" of that side of you that insists on understanding everything completely. Instead, get a sense of important key words in the passage, maybe even highlight them. On the questions, the answer is always in the passage.

I can see why I got things wrong in the past .. I always clung to answers that incorporated passage information in the wrong context .. now I kind of chuckle when I see that .. oh the subtleties of human communication.

Another gigantic issue was my ability to organize a lot of detail in this passage. For whatever reason, that has improved. (Probably it improved because I stopped partying like I used to .. haven't drank heavily more than once this past half year .. freshman / sophmore year (i'm a senior now) I drank on the weekends a lot .. dumbed me down methinks) I think it is because I am now focusing on organizing a lot of detail and not just understanding the passage as a whole. I remember saying to myself reading through the passage, "ok this goes here, that goes there, that fact isn't like the other two, oh heres an idea with no support .. the author seems to be speculative rather than evidence-based .. "

I think the reason for this section is because in med school you will be asked to absorb a crap load of information and understanding the detail is really important. For whatever reason, they think that these passages are more familiar to us. Well, to some of us they are, and to others not so much. Hence, a nice little curve.