really tough situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mopitup85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help! I'm just going to retake it then.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are already halfway through med school and want to do psych or peds, for the love of god dont quit and go to nursing school. You only failed by a few points, you for sure can pass next time. There are lots of programs in all those cities and with an md you just need passing scores and a pulse and in 2 years you'll be an md living with your husband and a few short years from a 250k/year job. It sucks now but you're almost there. Find your second wind and power through.

Reactions: 8 users
Whatever you do, don't do nursing unless your goal is to become an NP. Frankly, I would retake Step I, and continue onward. He can move to your town when he finishes his PhD.

Members don't see this ad :)
From a current RN who is considering medical or pharmacy school, for all that is good and holy, DO NOT go to nursing school. Do what you have to do to finish and pass Step 1. Please. Thank you.

Reactions: 2 users
Retake Step 1, it won't matter if you failed it once if you're going for psychiatry/pediatrics. You're closer to becoming a doctor than you are to becoming a nurse. Not to mention you would be giving up an additional ~150k/year salary if you pursued nursing.

Reactions: 1 users
I would suggest retake and continue. It might look easy now to go down to another path but once you are in it, you will wish to go back to med school and your husband to Ph.D. Program. Take break but don't quit, you both have come far and you need is faith and a little more of hard work that you have done so far.

If he's in the end stages of his PhD, can't he spend quite a bit of time with you if he's writing his thesis? And can't you do some away rotations in his city? Don't drop out, but make a point to build seeing each other into your professional plans in the next 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user