bigballer27

That's what she said
Nov 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
so im talking my test in 2 weeks (May 1st). (WOW ALREADY :scared:)

i took AAMC#5 today, and did well on the sciences (13, 12), but my verbal was an 8. I got a 25/40, and i got a 25/40 on aamc4 too. on aamc#3 i got like a 23/40 and got a 7

right now my EK101 scores look like this
1-7
2-9
3-9
4-8
5-8
and im going to keep taking these in between my FL days

basically, since feb. ive been trying as many strategies as i could find and attempted them all. started with TPR, then went to EK and used whatever i could find on SDN. after using EK my score went up to an 11 on a few TPR verbal tests and i was confident, but then all of a sudden it dropped to an 8 again and i wasnt finishing in time anymore. i tried to go back to the EK method but it wasnt working. Now im using a "pseudo-EK method," where i read everything, but read it rather quickly and try and refer back to the passage if i find a question that im not sure about. ive done the entire TPR verbal workbook, all the TPR practice tests, 5 EK101 books and 3 AAMC FL tests....and still nothing wowwww and it KILLS my confidence overall too because this stupid score is holding me down

right now, i read the passage in about 3 minutes, and answer in about 5 minutes=8 min/passage. and for the last 3 AAMC tests ive been finishing with 2-3 minutes left

my next practice test will be AAMC #6 on saturday, then i will be taking one on mon, wed, sat, wed, and then the real one on the following saturday

i don't know what to do, and i know that an 8 is not good enough for MD, especially in my home state of CA

i know theres no formula or miracle to solving this problem or whatever, but can anyone help me somehow maybe some new idea or tip that i can use to do better. im trying to just get it up to a 10 and keep it there...HELP!!!

DoctorDude

5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
right now, i read the passage in about 3 minutes, and answer in about 5 minutes=8 min/passage. and for the last 3 AAMC tests ive been finishing with 2-3 minutes left.......
Hey baller, I've been following along with your struggles on the VR section. I also tend to have problems, but I've been able to keep my scores consistent at around 10 (with a very occasional 11). It seems like you may be reading the passage a little too quickly. You might try reading just a little slower (perhaps 3.5-4 minutes) to really grasp the idea of the passage and what the author is saying in each paragraph. Then, you won't need to refer back to the passage as much (only for detail questions, which is usually only 1-2 per passage).

I actually had the opposite problem of reading too slowly and then having to rush on the questions. Now I read each passage in about 4 minutes, constantly formulating the flow of the passage in my head and grasping the authors intent or argument.

If I see a word or name that I think may show up in one of the questions, I either take a mental note or quickly jot down where it was in the passage so I won't need to search for it later.

Anyway, it's really just a matter of trying different methods until you find one that works. Make sure you go over the AAMC explanations for the verbal, that seemed to help me a lot too.

You will do fine on the real thing... you still have two solid weeks to get your method perfected. Good luck man (oh yeah, go Lakers!)

bigballer27

That's what she said
Nov 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey baller, I've been following along with your struggles on the VR section. I also tend to have problems, but I've been able to keep my scores consistent at around 10 (with a very occasional 11). It seems like you may be reading the passage a little too quickly. You might try reading just a little slower (perhaps 3.5-4 minutes) to really grasp the idea of the passage and what the author is saying in each paragraph. Then, you won't need to refer back to the passage as much (only for detail questions, which is usually only 1-2 per passage).

I actually had the opposite problem of reading too slowly and then having to rush on the questions. Now I read each passage in about 4 minutes, constantly formulating the flow of the passage in my head and grasping the authors intent or argument.

If I see a word or name that I think may show up in one of the questions, I either take a mental note or quickly jot down where it was in the passage so I won't need to search for it later.

Anyway, it's really just a matter of trying different methods until you find one that works. Make sure you go over the AAMC explanations for the verbal, that seemed to help me a lot too.

You will do fine on the real thing... you still have two solid weeks to get your method perfected. Good luck man (oh yeah, go Lakers!)

haha great with the lakers!

thanks for the advice though...so when you spend 4 minutes per passage, do you see yourself spending less time with the questions or are you still spending too long with the questions?

also, i don't really highlight because i think its a waste, i can scan quickly iffff i cant find something which hasnt happened so far, i usually know where each idea can be found

ps. goodluck this sat!

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think your problem lies in not sticking to a strategy. You need to master one strategy and not ditch it when you get a bad score. Besides, that low score could be due to other problems and not your strategy.

General Guidelines for Reviewing:

- Go over EVERY question. Both the ones you got right and the ones you got wrong.
- Reviewing should take 2-3 times longer than taking the timed practice problems.
- If your tests are fluctuating, it is due to the different topics on the various tests. In other words, you have some glaring weaknesses that when targeted, nail you, badly. You have to find out what those weaknesses are because they are evident by your scores. Do NOT dismiss any wrong answer as a "stupid mistake." You made that error for a reason. Go over your tests again.
- You might want to consider making a log for all of your post test results where you work through the questions below. Doing so, you'll be able to easily notice trends.

Some things to go over when reviewing:

1. Why did you get the question wrong? Why did you get the question right?
2. What question and passage types get you?
3. How is your mindset when facing a particular passage?
4. Are you stressed for time?
5. Where are your mistakes happening the most? Are they front loaded? Are they at the end? All over?
6. What was your thought process for both the questions you got right and the ones you got wrong?
7. For verbal, what was the author's mindset and main idea?
8. Did you eliminate all of the answer choices you could from first glance?
ex. You know an answer should be a positive number so you cross out all of the negative number answer choices.
9. What content areas are you weak in?
10. How can you improve so you don't make the same mistake again?

bigballer27

That's what she said
Nov 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
like what problems do you think?

looking at your guidelines, there isnt one specific question type that gets me...when ordering the AAMC score report in difficuly, i got 15/16 of the easy ones, but only 1/10 of the hard ones so those would probably be those with analogies, hypothetical situations, and WEAKEN/STRENGTHEN questions

other than that i don't know what to do, but would it be a good idea to just hope for the best and try and get my sciences as high up as possible to make up for it? i really don't know what else i can do....im sticking to this new strategy i explained above, and have been doing it for the last month or so with no real results

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's not good to focus on your sciences and hope they pull you through. Even with great science scores, a poor verbal can still kill your application.

This will sound kind of, "duh I know that", but you need to figure out why those question types get you. It's great that you realize they do, now go the extra step and find out how to fix it. Yes, i know it's much easier to type that than to actually do it. For the analogies and hypothetical situations, you should try to think about what the author would pick. Usually, the answer to these relate to the author's mindset in some way. For the weaken/strength, have you tried reading these slowly? Sometimes people get confused by the wording and mess up that way.

g8orlife

chomp
7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
A quagmire
Status
Resident [Any Field]

bigballer27

That's what she said
Nov 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
haha g8orlife you are the one that made me be able to score that 11 at one point but then all of a sudden it just dropped!!! what happened? lol your magic spells wore off i need you to redo them or something for the next 2 and a half weeks!!

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
If you think a few extra weeks will help, re-schedule. If not, take it and void it.

bigballer27

That's what she said
Nov 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
If you think a few extra weeks will help, re-schedule. If not, take it and void it.
by that time i would have used up all the EK01, all the TPR, and all the AAMC.....which would leave me with GS and TBR...eh do you think thats a good idea?

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I think going in and getting a sub-30 is to be avoided. As for passages... you got TBR.

Do you think it's your grasp of the content or the test-taking strategies that are holding you back?

g8orlife

chomp
7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
A quagmire
Status
Resident [Any Field]
haha g8orlife you are the one that made me be able to score that 11 at one point but then all of a sudden it just dropped!!! what happened? lol your magic spells wore off i need you to redo them or something for the next 2 and a half weeks!!
Haha! I used some of my best potions on ya! ... But not all!:thumbup:

I've read many posts about great VR testers who's scores began plummeting towards the test. ~1/2 of them cut back on the verbal by taking a break and clearing their mind; then later, going back to practicing just before the test. While the other ~1/2 crammed in as much VR as they could handle before the test.

If I was in your position, I'd take a 1-2 days off from VR practice and instead use that time to remember how I felt about verbal around the time that I was at my best. I'd remember how confident I was with my strategy before the test, and how confident I felt during each passage as I attacked them. I'd bring back that sense of control over the test and the enthusiasm for more.

I agree with SN2ed about picking a strategy and perfecting it. You're lucky that you have that one major weak area instead of multiple. Bring back your confidence, next look at that link on my previous post, then go back to work on passages but this time focusing more on the Author's viewpoint both during the reading of the passage and immediately afterwards (just before the questions).

:thumbup:You're in control. Confidence.:thumbup:

Oncoloman

Mar 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical

Couldn't have said it any better

bigballer27

That's what she said
Nov 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I think going in and getting a sub-30 is to be avoided. As for passages... you got TBR.

Do you think it's your grasp of the content or the test-taking strategies that are holding you back?

i am doing well on the sciences, so its most likely not content its the test-taking strategies that might be messing me up