Really want MD but DO seems to be the path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophiamelina

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My gpa in college was crap like if crap took a crap it would be my gpa. Cumulative 2.5

I really really really want to go to medical school

Can someone give me some options of what to do to make it look like I am suitable for it gpa wise. I'm taking my Mcat either in January or march.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I know I can be an md I just was a **** up in college

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

DO/MD interview invitations are very rare with such a low gpa, as far as I understand. What year of school are you in? I would try to look into a post-bac grade replacement program if you've graduated already.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD is out the window. Same with DO unless you do some major grade replacement.

Reactions: 10 users
My gpa in college was crap like if crap took a crap it would be my gpa. Cumulative 2.5

Can someone give me some options of what to do to make it look like I am suitable for it gpa wise. I'm taking my Mcat either in January or march.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I know I can be an md I just was a **** up in college

I once considered medical school but by the time I took school seriously my GPA was not competitive as well, even getting A's for two years I didn't bump up my GPA that much. I am now applying to pharmacy school, but prior I did do a lot of research on medical school and there are pathway programs you can apply to where the medical school has a one year program if you maintain a 3.0 and higher you automatically get enrollment into their school the following cycle. Post back as the others mentioned is a good idea as well but I think the pathway program is more guaranteed. The program I was looking at required a 3.0 to apply but they took the highest score of the required classes so you can retake courses and they won't average them out.

I once considered medical school but by the time I took school seriously my GPA was not competitive as well, even getting A's for two years I didn't bump up my GPA that much. I am now applying to pharmacy school, but prior I did do a lot of research on medical school and there are pathway programs you can apply to where the medical school has a one year program if you maintain a 3.0 and higher you automatically get enrollment into their school the following cycle. Post back as the others mentioned is a good idea as well but I think the pathway program is more guaranteed. The program I was looking at required a 3.0 to apply but they took the highest score of the required classes so you can retake courses and they won't average them out.

If a one year program like that did exist, it's probably insanely competitive and requires a very high mcat. I don't see how that's possible otherwise. Link to program?

I graduated already and do you know what schools offer this pathway program I live in NYC

If a one year program like that did exist, it's probably insanely competitive and requires a very high mcat. I don't see how that's possible otherwise. Link to program?
I mean of course, but those who are competitive would have gotten accepted to medical school instead of applying to the program so your competition is not as bad as you would think. The one I was looking at is in my state but I'm sure there are other ones available. Here's the link http://phoenixmed.arizona.edu/pathway

MD is entirely out of the picture, only in a few circumstances.
DO is the viable option. I suggest retaking previous courses l.
Did you even start studying for the MCAT? With such a low GPA, I am worried with your mastery of the content.

Reactions: 3 users
Nah. Drexel DPMS program is like that...I applied two years ago with a 2.7,20 mcat and got an interview. Needless to say I didnt get accepted but you don't need a super high mcat to get in. OP, you have to do a post bacc. Period. End of discussion. I applied this cycle with a 2.99 but with a 50 credit post bacc with nearly all As and a **** storm of ecs. Do a post bacc at your undergrad. Do not take the mcat yet. Everyone thinks they will kill that test until gameday and your sitting in that seat lost, staring at the computer screen. Wait until you're consistently scoring in the mid 500s (at least)on your practice exams. Don't apply now and hurt yourself by becoming a reapplicant. Lets recap: 1. Do a post bacc, get As, get as humanly close to a 3.0 as possible. 2. Wait till youre scoring well to take that beast...it will own you. 3. Strengthen your application in other ways ie research, leadership, ect. 4. Apply to lower MD and an embarrassing amount of DO schools.

Reactions: 5 users
MD is entirely out of the picture, only in a few circumstances.
DO is the viable option. I suggest retaking previous courses l.
Did you even start studying for the MCAT? With such a low GPA, I am worried with your mastery of the content.
This. Reguardless of these 520's you see on sdn, its quite a challenge to crack 500 for regular folk.

Reactions: 8 users
Nah. Drexel DPMS program is like that...I applied two years ago with a 2.7,20 mcat and got an interview. Needless to say I didnt get accepted but you don't need a super high mcat to get in. OP, you have to do a post bacc. Period. End of discussion. I applied this cycle with a 2.99 but with a 50 credit post bacc with nearly all As and a **** storm of ecs. Do a post bacc at your undergrad. Do not take the mcat yet. Everyone thinks they will kill that test until gameday and your sitting in that seat lost, staring at the computer screen. Wait until you're consistently scoring in the mid 500s (at least)on your practice exams. Don't apply now and hurt yourself by becoming a reapplicant. Lets recap: 1. Do a post bacc, get As, get as humanly close to a 3.0 as possible. 2. Wait till youre scoring well to take that beast...it will own you. 3. Strengthen your application in other ways ie research, leadership, ect. 4. Apply to lower MD and an embarrassing amount of DO schools.
Would you care to share some tips on how you managed to get mostly A's having a 2.7 beforehand? Obviously study habits must change from undergrad, but was it the material that was better? Im not too familiar with the coursework of post bacc but does it entail a lot of science courses?

Wait, you got accepted to an MD program with a 2.9 GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you care to share some tips on how you managed to get mostly A's having a 2.7 beforehand? Obviously study habits must change from undergrad, but was it the material that was better? Im not too familiar with the coursework of post bacc but does it entail a lot of science courses?
Yes my study habits have changed but also my personal life circumstances. I went through a divorce at the start of college and Im a single parent so yea... That was years ago so Im more focused now. My classes were all science but make no mistake it was hard af. I slept in the library and brought a toothbrush. ...I played no games. It comes down to drive, dedication, and how bad you want it. I graduated near the bottom of my high school class and that's saying a lot since I come from a school in the ghettos. Im not embarrassed to say. During my post bacc I murdered everything that stood in my way mainly because my back was against the wall. You do have to be honest with yourself tho. If you feel you can't do it then no shame and find a different path/career. If you really want it....turn up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Wait, you got accepted to an MD program with a 2.9 GPA?
Yes, quite a few actually but my GPA is misleading. My trend is steep and my post bacc killed doubt at every school I interviewed at. Plus Im a non trad with over a decade of healthcare experience, half a decade of research, half a dozen pubs, ect. I don't want to give false hope...the rest of my application is very heavy.

Reactions: 6 users
This. Reguardless of these 520's you see on sdn, its quite a challenge to crack 500 for regular folk.
This^^ I have a 4.0 in the med school prereqs and it took a couple practice MCATs before I could crack 500. It was deff not as easy as I thought.

Reactions: 1 user
I had the same GPA as you and I was able to do it. However, it took about a year of post bac courses, a masters degree, some unique EC, and 2 application cycles. Even with all that I still think I was extremely lucky to get an MD acceptance. I would say DO is a much more realistic goal but it's still gonna require a ton of work.

Reactions: 1 users
Most post bac programs require a 3.0, and even those that don't are likely to toss your application.

Old fashioned, long term grade replacement- and an impressive MCAT. You mess up that MCAT and you're done.

OP do not take the MCAT in January. You obviously have huge gaps in your knowledge base and if you score low on the MCAT that combined with your current GPAs will make attending medical school even more difficult. Wait until you retake many science classes for grade repair and your knowledge base should be greatly improved. You have a really long road ahead of you. How are your ECs coming along?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Have you started studying for the MCAT / taken any practice exams? If not, you need to push back the MCAT plans until summer. It takes months to get fully prepared

The two options would be grade replace -> DO or SMP (special masters programs, I believe the thing being mentioned above is "linkage" offered by some SMPs for automatic admissions of their high performing students).

You'd need to study up and take the MCAT before really knowing your options.

I'm studying for my mcat now I registered for January but I'm thinking about moving it. I want to do my mcat first to know I should move forward rather than dump money in classes then crap out on mcat. I didn't take practice exams yet. I was going to after I get some more studying in.

I know I won't make it for this cycle but I just dont know what to do for my grades. I found on the aamc website what post bac programs have record enhanced programs and I was told about a master in bio medical sciences would help to and I know Rutgers Newark has it

I'm studying for my mcat now I registered for January but I'm thinking about moving it. I want to do my mcat first to know I should move forward rather than dump money in classes then crap out on mcat. I didn't take practice exams yet. I was going to after I get some more studying in.

I know I won't make it for this cycle but I just dont know what to do for my grades. I found on the aamc website what post bac programs have record enhanced programs and I was told about a master in bio medical sciences would help to and I know Rutgers Newark has it

Have you taken any practice tests yet? Seeing as you're about 1-2 months out you should be at that point by now. Seeing as your GPA is pretty low you need to do really well on the MCAT so I would not recommend taking it in January if you haven't started with practice tests yet. As you said, you don't plan to apply this upcoming cycle so why rush to take the MCAT? Also I wouldn't take the MCAT without making sure you have a strong grasp on the information. Based on your GPA it would seem as if you do not. Not trying to be rude, but trying to save you money on studying for a test that you may not be prepared for (300 bucks is a lot of money, especially if you have to end up retaking it).

Your MCAT score will expire before you are able to move your GPA with extra coursework at a 4.0. Practicing the exam is an extremely important part of obtaining an acceptable score and it can take much longer than you ever thought to finally hit a competitive number. Everything takes time and dedication - but don't make it harder than it already is.

I don't think my score will expire by the time I apply if I do the 1 year post bacc or graduate degree. And the reason why I'm doing my mcat now is because 1 a lot of schools want it for bio medical science degree and I think it will give me a leg up on my application to grad or post baccs. Plus if I can't handle or do well on the mcat then it's a sign that this isn't for me. I have been taking in class practice tests with EK but no full on real exams

I don't think my score will expire by the time I apply if I do the 1 year post bacc or graduate degree. And the reason why I'm doing my mcat now is because 1 a lot of schools want it for bio medical science degree and I think it will give me a leg up on my application to grad or post baccs. Plus if I can't handle or do well on the mcat then it's a sign that this isn't for me. I have been taking in class practice tests with EK but no full on real exams

1 year is not enough to bring your GPA up. Also are you urm or orm? I would not take the mcat with your GPA. I would do postbac first and afterwards murder the MCAT. Plus are all other things checked off in your app? volunteering, clinical exposure, research? MCAT and GPA are one component of the package, without the other stuff you might as well be buying a lottery ticket.

Well I know myself and the mcat before classes is the way I want to go. I don't know what urm or orm is so please elaborate. I have volunteering, research, and shadowing. But I have connections so I'm not too worried about clinical exposure I can do it anytime. And I have really good recommendations.

A 1 year post bacc isn't going to cut it. Sorry.
Your grades don't reflect a current ability to do medicine. If you want to take the path your easiest option at the moment is to go back and retake classes you did poorly in. It doesn't have to be at the same school.
An MCAT is something you only want to take once and I would only take it right before I apply. If it takes a while to get everything up to par it can easily be expired.

As it stands you will not get in anywhere MD or DO. Period.

Have you been scoring >508 on these practice tests?

Also @sophiamelina and @atnguy13 I would change your picture to something that will let you remain anonymous if it is you in your picture so schools can't identify you.

Edit: I actually just truly read OP's name. It being Sophia is actually probably pretty obvious on its own....

Yes, quite a few actually but my GPA is misleading. My trend is steep and my post bacc killed doubt at every school I interviewed at. Plus Im a non trad with over a decade of healthcare experience, half a decade of research, half a dozen pubs, ect. I don't want to give false hope...the rest of my application is very heavy.

Aah, I was just about to ask before I read this. You were getting healthcare experience back when my biggest concern was my K/D in call of duty.

Reactions: 2 users
Well I know myself and the mcat before classes is the way I want to go. I don't know what urm or orm is so please elaborate. I have volunteering, research, and shadowing. But I have connections so I'm not too worried about clinical exposure I can do it anytime. And I have really good recommendations.

You are asking for advice, and then you are completely ignoring advice. I am sure this will work out well. Good luck, you will need it. 2.7 is a lethal gpa for MD and DO school taking the MCAT will not change anything, you could score a 528 and still not get an acceptance from an MD school.

Reactions: 4 users
Also @sophiamelina and @atnguy13 I would change your picture to something that will let you remain anonymous if it is you in your picture so schools can't identify you.

Edit: I actually just truly read OP's name. It being Sophia is actually probably pretty obvious on its own....
Its probably contains her last name as well.

Just because you guys are throwing out your opinions on how to help doesn't mean I'm obligated to adhere to it. Also just because something works out for me doesn't mean anything I prefer to do it this way I'm just wondering if post bac grad or taking classes independently would be better

These kind of statements really concern me. Some great minds have offered you sound advice on this forum, and you are basically saying you are just going to do whatever you want. I am not sure what kind of help you are looking for here, but I will echo the sentiments. A 1 year post back will not do it. You have a lot of work to do. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Reactions: 2 users
Then why ask for advice? You're going to end up wasting money on the MCAT if you're not prepared. And you'll end up wasting money on an application cycle if you apply after only one year of GPA repair with a 2.5.

Let her take the MCAT. Then she will be back here in 3 months posting, "I got a 480, and have a 2.5 GPA. Help"

Reactions: 8 users
I never said I was going to apply this cycle why would I do that if I don't have the gpa and that isn't my repair gpa that's my undergrad gpa. And just because my gpa was crap doesn't mean I'm not prepared for the mcat I have been studying for the last 7 months now and quit my job for it.

I never said I was going to apply this cycle why would I do that if I don't have the gpa and that isn't my repair gpa that's my undergrad gpa. And just because my gpa was crap doesn't mean I'm not prepared for the mcat I have been studying for the last 7 months now and quit my job for it.

You can be prepared and that's great.
But it all means nothing if the GPA isn't fixed.

I would recommend independently taking classes you got a C or less in and applying DO.

Look... this thread is ONLY going to get worse from here. Did you have a specific question at this point?

I'm not sure if you were replying to me but I never said you were applying this cycle either. I said if you plan to do one year of gpa repair with a 2.5 it's not going to make a huge difference. I also never said you weren't prepared for the MCAT but it also sounds like you haven't taken any full length tests (which for me at least were the most important way of preparing for the exam). But since you don't want anyone's advice just do what you think is best for your future and I wish you the best of luck!

Yay opinions!

Well, I am re-applying to medical school this year, and it's not fun. I've also taken the MCAT 3 times. Also no fun. I finally got my first acceptance from a DO school, and I am waiting to hear back from some of the MD schools. I know I struggled with a 3.5cGPA/3.3sGPA and a low MCAT when I applied. For me the MCAT was the hardest thing for me, mostly the verbal section. My biggest issue there was that I studied and new the material well, but practice tests help you gauge so much better. I didn't have money to afford practice test, and I was ignorant to know where to get help and dumb to not ask. I took it once before finals, which was a mistake for me personally because I was studying for too many things at once. The second time I took it, I was not studying correctly. I finally took a course to help me with it and was way more successful. (And this is just one component of the application).

I still applied with a low MCAT, mostly out of curiosity for the application (and I got fee assistance help so I knew it wouldn't hurt me too much financially!). This can be seen as good or bad, but I think it worked well for me because I did lots of application reviews with adcoms to see what I can improve. I already had many hours of shadowing, 4 years of research with many presentations at conferences, and many other extra curricular activities. I think my GPA was better after my MPH, so I was just told to focus on a couple of things on my app and the MCAT for the new cycle. Schools saw my changes and this was been a very good cycle for me (I feel like at least).

Everyone posts opinions and what has worked for them. Not one person has the right/perfect answer, but it is good to see how others have worked toward their path into an MD/DO program. I think should should look at some of those post bacc programs and the med schools they are affiliated with as ask to talk with someone. Get their feedback. No one will give you better advise than the medical school you are applying to. I wish you luck on your journey.

I agree with the idea of waiting to take your MCAT until after you've finished GPA repair. That way, you would have improved on your study skills and be better prepared for the MCAT. The only way that taking the MCAT sooner rather than later would be helpful is that some SMPs require it before you can apply. But keep in mind these programs have very limited spots and only counting on them as a path to medical school is a gamble. Good luck OP.

Ok, for the sake of logical reasoning lets look at this by the numbers. Lets say there are two senario's
1) You score really well on the MCAT.
2) You score really poorly on the MCAT.

Senario 1:
518 MCAT 97th percentile
2.5 GPA

LizzyM
61- Not competitive.

upload_2016-12-2_13-2-52.png

Senario 2:
LizzyM
50- Not competitive

upload_2016-12-2_13-1-38.png

Even under the best case senario you score a 520 only to realize you need two years of GPA repair before you even break the 3.3 number. By the time you come around to applying your mcat may not be valid anymore. Also what the above charts dont show you is that those 6% of people had amazing stories and accomplishments or had higher GPA and lower mcats and were accepted to their state schools or brought some other stuff to the table, urm, veteran, etc.

Also, @zurc2014 s experience is significantly different then yours, He/She can show multiple semesters of good grades, extensive healthcare experience over many years, and URM. I would not compare yourself to his or her success.

Yay opinions!

Well, I am re-applying to medical school this year, and it's not fun. I've also taken the MCAT 3 times. Also no fun. I finally got my first acceptance from a DO school, and I am waiting to hear back from some of the MD schools. I know I struggled with a 3.5cGPA/3.3sGPA and a low MCAT when I applied. For me the MCAT was the hardest thing for me, mostly the verbal section. My biggest issue there was that I studied and new the material well, but practice tests help you gauge so much better. I didn't have money to afford practice test, and I was ignorant to know where to get help and dumb to not ask. I took it once before finals, which was a mistake for me personally because I was studying for too many things at once. The second time I took it, I was not studying correctly. I finally took a course to help me with it and was way more successful. (And this is just one component of the application).

I still applied with a low MCAT, mostly out of curiosity for the application (and I got fee assistance help so I knew it wouldn't hurt me too much financially!). This can be seen as good or bad, but I think it worked well for me because I did lots of application reviews with adcoms to see what I can improve. I already had many hours of shadowing, 4 years of research with many presentations at conferences, and many other extra curricular activities. I think my GPA was better after my MPH, so I was just told to focus on a couple of things on my app and the MCAT for the new cycle. Schools saw my changes and this was been a very good cycle for me (I feel like at least).

Everyone posts opinions and what has worked for them. Not one person has the right/perfect answer, but it is good to see how others have worked toward their path into an MD/DO program. I think should should look at some of those post bacc programs and the med schools they are affiliated with as ask to talk with someone. Get their feedback. No one will give you better advise than the medical school you are applying to. I wish you luck on your journey.
These are not opinions, these are facts. Unless the OP has something they are not telling us (dean is dad, have 6 medical patents, parents donated millions,ect) the OP has zero chances of getting in. OP, go ahead and take the MCAT in January and please update this thread with you score. Goodluck and God bless but remember even tho that casket is sealed, that last nail is not all the way in yet....You have time to put that hammer down.

Last edited:
As of right now, your chances of going to medical school are ZERO.

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

BTW, beggars can't be choosy.

These are not opinions, these are facts. Unless the OP has something they are not telling us (dean is dad, have 6 medical patents, parents donated millions,ect) the OP has zero chances of getting in. OP, go ahead and take the MCAT in January and please update this thread with you score. Goodluck and God bless but remember even tho that casket is sealed, that last nail is not all the way in yet....You have time to put that hammer down.

As of right now, your chances of going to medical school are ZERO.

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

BTW, beggars can't be choosy.

Listen to these folks OP. I know SDN gets a bad rep as this hyper-gunner environment, but they are just trying to help you.

One of the most devastating things to see on the interview trail is re-applicants describing to me the crucibles that they had to go through just to get there(interview day). Sometimes it was self-afflicted-- they thought initially they would be one of the lucky ones to squeak by and get in the first time. It's a long game, you can't cut corners.

Last edited:
LOL I can't wait until spring, "Have a 2.5 GPA and a 495 MCAT, really want MD"

You're looking at two years worth of grade repair OP, maybe after that think about the MCAT. All the people I know that got 500 or lower all thought they were prepared and knew better than everyone else too...

I guess. I just felt some of these comments were condescending and negative. Granted, I'm a big positive optimist. I had an adcom tell me I had 0 chances this cycle as well for both MD and possibly DO. I had others that were extremely positive about me applying. I did take the negative one to heart, but I was trying not to let it get me down. I like having both negative and positive (but realistic and helpful) feedback. I definitely worked on things that I needed to work one that I felt was necessary from all the feedback. I think she was looking for advise and guidance, but some of them do sound condescending. And her response to one of the comments made many take their claws out. I think we all have the potential to get where we want, it just depends on how much we are willing to work for it. :) hope you guys have a happy day!

People have no idea how hard the MCAT is.

OP has never seen anything close to its difficulty and ended up with a 2.5. I highly doubt she'll ever score a 508+ on a practice test (if she takes any). I have a really high gpa and still couldn't get myself to a competitive MCAT for MD schools.

I guess. I just felt some of these comments were condescending and negative. Granted, I'm a big positive optimist. I had an adcom tell me I had 0 chances this cycle as well for both MD and possibly DO. I had others that were extremely positive about me applying. I did take the negative one to heart, but I was trying not to let it get me down. I like having both negative and positive (but realistic and helpful) feedback. I definitely worked on things that I needed to work one that I felt was necessary from all the feedback. I think she was looking for advise and guidance, but some of them do sound condescending. And her response to one of the comments made many take their claws out. I think we all have the potential to get where we want, it just depends on how much we are willing to work for it. :) hope you guys have a happy day!
This is a reasonable mind set to have if numbers are mediocre. This is an unreasonable mindset to have if your numbers are borderline to even get accepted into naturopathic doctor program. Looking at data objectively and making a determination is a key trait to have as a physician. NO one is saying OP is not driven enough or smart enough to get into medical school, what everyone is saying is to fix gpa first and take mcat second and be realistic about prospects of getting into medical school without gpa repair. Even in the best case scenario it is futile because she still won't be competitive without gpa repair.