Really want to be a dentist...need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudebro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody whats up, I'm new here and I was hoping some here could help me with some advice...

I started off college as a pre-med just because it kinda seemed like a cool thing to do. My grades were NOT the best. I had no passion for medicine, but my family was involved in health care so I tried it and just wasn't interested in medicine.

I switched to business and my grades got a lot better. I love the prospect of business but I love even more the idea of being a business owner. I always liked the science classes but I didn't even consider dentistry at the time...I finally put 2 and 2 together and now I realize that general dentistry private practice would be the ultimate fit for me. I love everything that the career provides, since its similar to medicine without the nightmare of government intrusion and much more autonomy.

With my older bad grades, I started retaking these science courses again to boost my sci-GPA and my nonsci-GPA is currently at 3.5 and going up. I'm afraid that my sci-GPA may actually land between 3.2-3.3; the grades don't replace on the AADSAS....do I have a chance at all or should I keep taking science courses? Does a huge upswing count in their eyes? Also, would a really good DAT make up for subpar grades?

Seriously, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everybody!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everybody whats up, I'm new here and I was hoping some here could help me with some advice...

I started off college as a pre-med just because it kinda seemed like a cool thing to do. My grades were NOT the best. I had no passion for medicine, but my family was involved in health care so I tried it and just wasn't interested in medicine.

I switched to business and my grades got a lot better. I love the prospect of business but I love even more the idea of being a business owner. I always liked the science classes but I didn't even consider dentistry at the time...I finally put 2 and 2 together and now I realize that general dentistry private practice would be the ultimate fit for me. I love everything that the career provides, since its similar to medicine without the nightmare of government intrusion and much more autonomy.

With my older bad grades, I started retaking these science courses again to boost my sci-GPA and my nonsci-GPA is currently at 3.5 and going up. I'm afraid that my sci-GPA may actually land between 3.2-3.3; the grades don't replace on the AADSAS....do I have a chance at all or should I keep taking science courses? Does a huge upswing count in their eyes? Also, would a really good DAT make up for subpar grades?

Seriously, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everybody!!

An upward trend will indeed help and a "really good DAT" will definitely help you become a competetive applicant. Make sure your EC's and personal statement are good as well.

edit: accidentally logged onn to my friends account sorry

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply!

I was looking and I actually think I can get my sci GPA up to 3.3 and cumulative to 3.4 or 3.5. I just want to determine if I can go at it off of my undergraduate grades with the uptrend or if I would need to do a masters program.

I've seen floating around that some huge number of applicants apply with GPA's of 3.4 area. I don't know how valid the statements are but I figure 3.3-3.4 is within that range.

Your math is correct but that factor may not help you much until you take the DAT. You sound about as passionate about dentistry as you were about medicine.