really want to be a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christvida

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

i need some advice...this fall i have had to make some decisions about what i want to go into. i worked for a DO in high school and he was such a cool guy, i originally thought about MD and i have even applied but the closer i get to it the more i'm wondering if MD is right for me. it seems to me that DO's concentrate more on family practice and really treating the whole person. (pre-MD's don't get mad i'm just saying this is my take on things) what are some great schools to apply to and what are the competitive scores for those schools. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

christvida said:
hey guys

i need some advice...this fall i have had to make some decisions about what i want to go into. i worked for a DO in high school and he was such a cool guy, i originally thought about MD and i have even applied but the closer i get to it the more i'm wondering if MD is right for me. it seems to me that DO's concentrate more on family practice and really treating the whole person. (pre-MD's don't get mad i'm just saying this is my take on things) what are some great schools to apply to and what are the competitive scores for those schools. thanks

All the schools are great, do a search on SDN, and check out:

http://www.aacom.org/colleges/

They have all the info on scores, schools, competitiveness, and applications.

In general, the average DO matriculant for all schools has about a 3.5 gpa, 3.45 science gpa, an MCAT of 26+, lots of experience (clinical and volunteer) and has a good understanding of the profession.

ok i'm looking at all of the websites, and i'm wondering if i'm competitive enough :( i have tons of experience so i'm not worried about that but my mcat score is not the best (i'm really not good at standardized test) my gpa is a 3.2 so far i'm interested in applying to AZCOM, KCOM, OSUCOM, TCOM, and KCUMB-COM. would i even be in the running for an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
christvida said:
ok i'm looking at all of the websites, and i'm wondering if i'm competitive enough :( i have tons of experience so i'm not worried about that but my mcat score is not the best (i'm really not good at standardized test) my gpa is a 3.2 so far i'm interested in applying to AZCOM, KCOM, OSUCOM, TCOM, and KCUMB-COM. would i even be in the running for an interview?

Well, what is your MCAT score?

my score is a 22 (i just am not good at standardized test) i don't feel that this reflects my ability, so i'm really worried about this.

Well to make you feel better.. when I first took the MCAT 5 years ago. I had a 21.
When I retook it after better preperations different learning habits, I got 27 (Verbal was my lowest 7). So it is not the end of the road. Think about re-doing it next april and maybe take a prep class. Learn to do the test and you will do better.

I would say its worth a shot to apply if you have the money , but you are honestly not very competitive numbers wise, and its starting to get late in the game, so I would say apply and try your best if you want to spend the money on a gamble, but at the same time plan on retaking the MCAT and maybe doing some post bacc courses next year. Good Luck!!