Really would like a second opinion other than my advisors...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Koo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been going to undergraduate school FOREVER. Totally, I have 260 credits including community college and 218 without community college. My GPA from the 218 is 3.09 and GPA from 260 is 3.15.

Obviously, I messed up my earlier years (2002 and before) which is what brings down my GPA. Since I have started back at college I have a 3.95 out of 60 credits and one 4-year university and am currently working to graduate (with a double-major in psych and life sciences) at a second 4-year university with a 3.79 GPA.

My advisor said that if my overall GPA was less than 3.4 or 3.5 range I should not apply right away (I was considering applying this summer). But now, I am thinking I am going to have over 300 total credit hours by the time I graduate and I am not sure if my GPA will EVER be at that level.

I have NOT taken the MCAT yet. Just because I've been cramming in courses to get my GPA up, and was planning on taking the MCAT early this summer as well, but now I am too scared to f&*^ that up as well.

Does anyone anyone anyone have any advice? Oh, I'm also an older student, but I've just been going to college forever while working (in the medical field). I have moved alot due to economic and work needs, and every college only transfers a certain number of hours, so that is why I have so many hours. Plus, my low GPA from being a stupid 19/20/21 year old and not getting the help I needed at the time is killing me now in my 30s.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been going to undergraduate school FOREVER. Totally, I have 260 credits including community college and 218 without community college. My GPA from the 218 is 3.09 and GPA from 260 is 3.15.

Obviously, I messed up my earlier years (2002 and before) which is what brings down my GPA. Since I have started back at college I have a 3.95 out of 60 credits and one 4-year university and am currently working to graduate (with a double-major in psych and life sciences) at a second 4-year university with a 3.79 GPA.

My advisor said that if my overall GPA was less than 3.4 or 3.5 range I should not apply right away (I was considering applying this summer). But now, I am thinking I am going to have over 300 total credit hours by the time I graduate and I am not sure if my GPA will EVER be at that level.

I have NOT taken the MCAT yet. Just because I've been cramming in courses to get my GPA up, and was planning on taking the MCAT early this summer as well, but now I am too scared to f&*^ that up as well.

Does anyone anyone anyone have any advice? Oh, I'm also an older student, but I've just been going to college forever while working (in the medical field). I have moved alot due to economic and work needs, and every college only transfers a certain number of hours, so that is why I have so many hours. Plus, my low GPA from being a stupid 19/20/21 year old and not getting the help I needed at the time is killing me now in my 30s.
Apply DO. All the grades from classes you've recently repeated will replace old grades.

Apply DO. All the grades from classes you've recently repeated will replace old grades.
this is good advice. It is going to be near impossible to bring your gpa up to a point where you will be competitive. Maybe if you nail your mcat you can get schools to overlook it, but I would apply to some DO schools

Members don't see this ad :)
this is good advice. It is going to be near impossible to bring your gpa up to a point where you will be competitive. Maybe if you nail your mcat you can get schools to overlook it, but I would apply to some DO schools
yeah you would need a 37+ imo to be competitive.

Moving to the non-traditional forum for better answers and advice from those that have faced some of the same situations.

Advice: I think your initial hurdles may be overlooked due to your impressive record of such a large amount of credits. However, you will need to do well on the MCAT, I feel, to have your application given the deserved assessment it needs.

My adviser said that if my overall GPA was less than 3.4 or 3.5 range I should not apply right away (I was considering applying this summer). But now, I am thinking I am going to have over 300 total credit hours by the time I graduate and I am not sure if my GPA will EVER be at that level.

I'm in a very similar situation to you, although I'm a bit younger. Huge numbers of previously taken credits make diminishing returns from attempts to raise your GPA a b*tch...

While my adviser originally suggested I wait to apply, she was also able to put me in touch with the admissions director at my in-state school. After a very thorough meeting and review of my application there, it was suggested I apply this cycle; which is advice I now feel comfortable following. The main difference though, is I already took my MCAT (and scored 35+), which was very favorably viewed.

My advice would be to commit to taking the MCAT, give it your all, and then once you get your score you'll have a better sense of what approach to take. I know it's hard (I had to cut back to working part time for three months while taking out a loan to pay my bills in order to have enough time to study), but a good MCAT score is worth it's wait in gold to an applicant with a low GPA.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
a good MCAT score is worth its weight in gold to an applicant with a low GPA.

:thumbup: Take a few practice MCATs to figure out what range you're scoring in. If it looks like you'll need serious time to prepare for the MCAT (most people do -- I took quite a while myself) then consider taking one more year off with a light courseload and hard-core MCAT studying.

Good luck.

Definitely consider some DO schools.

The more time you take, the more competitive you will be, but it all depends on what you want.

Apply MD, and apply DO if you like DO. Most schools will look at your most recent grades, and if you've got that many credits (60 credits with a great GPA) plus the more recent ones, I think you will have a great chance, assuming your MCAT and ECs are solid.

My advice would be to commit to taking the MCAT, give it your all, and then once you get your score you'll have a better sense of what approach to take. I know it's hard (I had to cut back to working part time for three months while taking out a loan to pay my bills in order to have enough time to study), but a good MCAT score is worth it's wait in gold to an applicant with a low GPA.

Best of luck to you.

I agree with this. I think if the OP bombs the MCAT, he/she will be in big trouble. He/she really needs to strive for a 30, but the higher the better, mid 30's or higher would really probably help a lot more.

I think he/she should stop taking college classes since he/she already has a degree with recent good grades, and is not going to be able to bring the overall GPA up much more without ridiculous numbers of credits.

After he/she gets the MCAT score, we might be able to give more specific advice.

Don't underestimate the MCAT because it's not an easy test.

You should at least consider doing to DO app as well, but I don't think you're out of the running -- not by a LONG shot -- for MD schools. The "upward trend" phenomenon is real, as long as you have some recent A's in science to show that you can take the heat.

As njbmd said in another thread, you have to work with what is under your control at this moment in time; namely, MCAT, LORs, and essays. Believe it or not, the MCAT is the easy part. Getting great LORs may be a lot more difficult in your situation, but it is a vital part of your application.

Finally: essays. Is a great essay going to squeeze you into med school? No; not if your MCAT and letters aren't there. Is a terrible essay going to sink you? No. I've read some really bad ones. What a great essay will do is add a dimension to your application that says "This person gets what medicine is all about. He/she has the maturity, the perspective, and the commitment to be an outstanding physician."

Do your best to work on these things now (above all, don't rush your MCAT) and you'll be in the class of 2015.

Last edited:
You should at least consider doing to DO app as well, but I don't think you're out of the running -- not by a LONG shot -- for MD schools. The "upward trend" phenomenon is real, as long as you have some recent A's in science to show that you can take the heat.

As njbmd said in another thread, you have to work with what is under your control at this moment in time; namely, MCAT, LORs, and essays. Believe it or not, the MCAT is the easy part. Getting great LORs may be a lot more difficult in your situation, but it is a vital part of your application.

Finally: essays. Is a great essay going to squeeze you into med school? No; not if your MCAT and letters aren't there. Is a terrible essay going to sink you? No. I've read some really bad ones. What a great essay will do is add a dimension to your essay that says "This person gets what medicine is all about. He/she has the maturity, the perspective, and the commitment to be an outstanding physician."

Do your best to work on these things now (above all, don't rush your MCAT) and you'll be in the class of 2015.

damn good advice! just want to add don't get too hung up over numbers and stats. when you apply on the secondary app, your gpa will change a little, usually for the better. but your mcat won't change. if you score lower on either, apply much broader..go crazy if your bank account allows it. use a scale like us news/world report on med school numbers to help guide you. be flexible and willing to move. beggars can't be choosers and all you need is that 1 lucky acceptance letter, kinda like winning the lotto. you'll never know what school will accept you. good luck and keep the dream alive!

Hi. I'm a female (a she/her) and I have not graduated yet - much frustration I'm probably causing myself and those who love me - just because my poor GPA (and need a few more courses for the requirements of this degree)(and I wanted to get a better background and prepare myself as well as I could).

But, i just wanted to add that I am much appreciative of the comments. I really honestly am stuck on the numbers, but now am somewhat relieved (but never less motivated) to hear that maybe I still do have a chance.

The reason I joined this website was that I did want a second opinion, and this is actually what my advisors said - stress the MCAT.

I'm going to keep posting to this site until I get in and after. You've helped me calm down so much...thanks!!!!

Finish your degree and do as well as you can.
MD schools are going to be a reach no matter what MCAT you get.
The strong upper trend will help, but it won't do much if the overall GPA is around 3.1-3.2.
It won't hurt to apply, but I would focus on DO schools.
They will be much more forgiving.
:luck:

I would advise spending all the time and energy on the MCAT you possibly can....this is just my opinion, but it seems to me that you can do more for your academic credentials with a good 3 - 4 months of rigorous test prep (maybe more if you have to work a lot) than several semesters of stellar grades, considering the amount of hours you have. A really great score in any case can not hurt, and may give you the chance to explain those early grades. In any case, good luck!

I would advise spending all the time and energy on the MCAT you possibly can....this is just my opinion, but it seems to me that you can do more for your academic credentials with a good 3 - 4 months of rigorous test prep (maybe more if you have to work a lot) than several semesters of stellar grades, considering the amount of hours you have. A really great score in any case can not hurt, and may give you the chance to explain those early grades. In any case, good luck!

very true! a great mcat score will help off set bad gpa. obviously it varies on your scores but it can't hurt. the higher the mcat, the better.

KOO- definitely keep reading SDN when you need that pick me up. there are many people here that are positive, willing to help, and with inspirational stories of success. I know this can be a very frustrated marathon but it's do able. feel free to PM. smack the mcrap (mcat)!