Reapplicant advice - should I get more clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1004199

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of us have some good rules of thumb when it comes to "clinical exposure", whether paid or not. In general it should be patient-facing, require supervision or training from doctors (preferably) or other healthcare professionals, and the manner of contact should be appropriately ethical. To me you have some clinical experience, but I'll stop so others can comment.

Reactions: 1 users
I think your ECs are fine. They are not the issue with your app (IMO). But you should always keep improving your application in case you have to reapply. ADCOMS expect to see significant improvement. Where did you apply? MD or DO or both? Why did you retake a 509? That was a good score especially with your below average GPAs. Your problem could be a bad list, a bad letter or bad interviews. But you still have one result pending so keep hoping and let us know what happens. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the retake is necessarily bad because 6 points is a pretty big jump. Your ECs are also fine in terms of hours. IMO your problem is the GPA, especially as an ORM, as well as only applying to 16 schools and being late (how late?).

Work on your writing, LoRs, and being complete early with a lot larger school list and you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I think your ECs are fine. They are not the issue with your app (IMO). But you should always keep improving your application in case you have to reapply. ADCOMS expect to see significant improvement. Where did you apply? MD or DO or both? Why did you retake a 509? That was a good score especially with your below average GPAs. Your problem could be a bad list, a bad letter or bad interviews. But you still have one result pending so keep hoping and let us know what happens. Good luck.
I don't think the retake is necessarily bad because 6 points is a pretty big jump. Your ECs are also fine in terms of hours. IMO your problem is the GPA, especially as an ORM, as well as only applying to 16 schools and being late (how late?).

Work on your writing, LoRs, and being complete early with a lot larger school list and you should be fine.

Sorry I didn't include that because I originally posted in the general forum but my list (complete mid Sept-late Oct):

UWashington (II -> R)
UWisc (II > pending decision)
UMiami
UF
UCF
USF
FSU
FAU
NSU
FIU
Drexel
GW
MCW
Emory
Wayne
Geisel Dartmouth

I made a WAMC post a while back and decided that my school list will need to be a lot broader so I'm planning to apply closer to 30-35 MDs and maybe another 5-10 DO schools. I retook my MCAT because my AAMC FL average was closer to 513-514 and I had a family emergency right before taking it so my focus was off and I felt like I could do better. My GPA was also below average so I needed a stronger MCAT since most of my IS schools have pretty high median GPAs around 3.8-3.9+

So I definitely will apply early and to way more schools, am going to clean up my writing a lot too. However I know my GPA is an issue, especially for ORM and being in Florida. Not sure if it's worth doing an SMP (which I can't really afford anyways). That's why I wanted to focus on ECs and just gaining more experience to be a stronger applicant

What’s your state of residence? Did you use the MSAR to develop your list? You applied to UWisconsin but not toMedical College of Wisconsin, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Rush,SLU, Creighton etc. . Is the UWashington you applied to in St. Louis or Washington State. If St Louis you aren’t really competitive and if in Washington state they take very few students from out of state. MSAR tells you this stuff.
When you reformat your list look for mainly private schools where your stats are between the 10th-90th percentile. If you are really interested in OOS public schools find out if they are the least bit OOS friendly. Of course your state public schools are fine to apply to. And you probably need DO schools on your list too. Good luck as you work to figure things out. And you might still get that A from UW.

What’s your state of residence? Did you use the MSAR to develop your list? You applied to UWisconsin but not toMedical College of Wisconsin, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Rush,SLU, Creighton etc. . Is the UWashington you applied to in St. Louis or Washington State. If St Louis you aren’t really competitive and if in Washington state they take very few students from out of state. MSAR tells you this stuff.
When you reformat your list look for mainly private schools where your stats are between the 10th-90th percentile. If you are really interested in OOS public schools find out if they are the least bit OOS friendly. Of course your state public schools are fine to apply to. And you probably need DO schools on your list too. Good luck as you work to figure things out. And you might still get that A from UW.
State of residence is FL. I applied to both Wisconsin and MCW but you're right none of the other schools since they were such low yield but I'll definitely be adding them to my list since I fit stats wise. I had FAP so I actually put in 20 primaries but didn't complete 4 since it was so late in the cycle and they were all low yield schools.

I applied to UWashington (in Seattle, WA) knowing the slim odds but went with it because I was a mission fit and got lucky with an interview there. I plan on adding more OOS public schools though since I had the most luck there this cycle but I'll try to find more OOS friendly ones + the private schools. Hopefully I get into Wisconsin and not have to keep worrying about this lol but thanks for your help!

Reactions: 1 user