Reapplicant and No Committee Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Theseus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I will be reapplying this cycle due to my last cycle's failure. Last year I had a committee letter, but this year I am no longer eligible for an update to it. So I was thinking of reaching out to my old professors and get them to write me individual letters. I was wondering what medical schools thought about this?

Thanks,

Theseus

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, the method of LOR delivery doesn't matter as much as the contents. AMCAS has its own procedure for having individual letters sent which is fairly straightforward.

To answer your question, medical schools will think your LORs are your LORs.

Some MD schools are pretty anal about committee LORs, so if they specify that they want one, you'll need to explain why you don't have one. Using the individual writers will be fine.

Hi all.

I will be reapplying this cycle due to my last cycle's failure. Last year I had a committee letter, but this year I am no longer eligible for an update to it. So I was thinking of reaching out to my old professors and get them to write me individual letters. I was wondering what medical schools thought about this?

Thanks,

Theseus

Members don't see this ad :)
Some MD schools are pretty anal about committee LORs, so if they specify that they want one, you'll need to explain why you don't have one. Using the individual writers will be fine.

Well, I am not eligible because they had a recent policy change, which leaves me with one option anyway. Thanks for the input.

I have the same issue as OP, no longer eligible for committee letter since I'm 2 years out of undergrad now, plus those letters are a bit out of date at this point since I unfortunately haven't been able to visit my undergraduate institution/catch up with those folks in person since graduation. I'm thinking about just contacting individual schools about their policies regarding this kind of thing - good idea/bad idea? And if they do require an explanation, where in AMCAS/AACOMAS is it appropriate to mention it?

Definitely contact each school. Some schools have very vague requirements and you don't want to waste your money applying to a school that won't look at your application. If a school wants an explanation, it is typically a question in the school's secondary application.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no medical school that I know of that doesnt have something in policy to allow applicants without committeee letters to apply, despite the "absolute" phrasing that may exist on the school's website.

Unfortunately, you are wrong there. When I applied to Rush, they told me that they would not consider my application regardless of my reason for not having a committee letter. Thus, I think that those who are in this situation should contact admissions offices to be sure.

Commitee Letter

• required if your school provides one and you graduated within the past two years (spring of 2012 or later)

For clarification, I did not meet this requirement. I graduated in 2014 and my school does offer a committee letter. However, I do think that my circumstances were unique and understandable (as opposed to the usual "I didn't make the deadline for the committee letter" excuse). Are you suggesting that someone like me should still consider applying?

This is purely out of curiosity since my cycle is done and I'm happy with how it turned out.

Thanks to all for adding feedback on this issue.

My situation has been resolved. Thanks everyone for your responses. I have been granted the permission to receive a Committee Letter.