Reapplicant..any advice much appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scraibin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!..first time posting here, though I've been actively lurking for over a year:p. I've gotten some really great advice from here, just want to let y'all know I appreciate it! It makes the reapplying process just a tad less nervewrecking.....

So I didn't apply broadly last cycle (only 5 schs, Yale, Hopkins, Chicago, Dartmouth, Boston) and was a late applicant--around the deadline, November/Dec, my mistake, which hurt me pretty badly. I got 2 interviews out of the list and am waitlisted for 1. Not much hope in getting good news though at this point.:(
I'll like any kind of advice/ideas on how I could improve my application from last year. Applying late wasn't a terrific idea, but on the bright side I have this free year to tweak my application and do stuff I wasn't able to when I was still in school. I'll graduate this June (I applied the first time going into my senior year).

gpa 3.81, Biochemistry undergrad, U of Toronto (I'll be considered an international)
MCAT 35S
ExtraCurr/Activites:
full-year research project in 2nd year
hospital volunteering (over 3 years, still there, love the place!)
I'm also a serious musician, and perform quite frequently in places. Winner of several competitions, Orchestra player etc

I plan to:
-shadow a private clinic doctor and one based in a hospital for a period of time, possibly up till next year, since I think not actually observing a doctor firsthand was one weakness in my application
-if all goes well, will be part of an ambulatory team organization here in Toronto as a volunteer

I am definitely going to reapply early this time. Will be rewriting PS to include some new perspectives... I would really like any advice/opinions, and I'll take them all into consideration. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are very competitive, as are your ECs. As long as you apply early and more broadly (5 schools is on the short side, I would also apply to schools that are less competitive) you should do just fine. Tweak or rewrite your PS and you should be holding a seat in a med school class this time next year.

:)thanks cgjock! Submitted AMCAS today. Hopefully this will turn out abit better than last year!