Reapplicant as PGY1, MSPE and Dean's Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiths11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - I am a PGY1 in FM who is reapplying to EM this year. My question is should I or can I change my MSPE/Dean's Letter to reflect the events of the past year? I would think it helps but then again I believe these letters should only reflect 4 years of med school, not anything after?

As far as letters of rec, I will be getting one from my current PD, and using my SLOEs from last year. And my personal statement will obviously be different this year.

So aside from personal statement and new LOR from PD, all other documents will be the same.

Any advice?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I was a reapplicant who didn't match the first time around and had to do a surgery year. Currently a PGY1^2. Hopefully my advice is helpful:

1) My MSPE was edited and such to reflect that I was reapplying. It was edited by my medical school. It is just an extra line or two, not much. Seemed easy enough.

2) Why didn't you match? This is the key fact to your strategy going forward and it changes the way you approach the letters game and everything. For me I didn't match because of my SLOEs, I had to get 3 new letters (1 group sloe from as a resident, 1 individual sloe, 1 individual EM letter, and my PD).

3) You will be asked every interview day and likely several times per day why you didn't match. You need a good response.

Honestly dude you should have asked this a month ago, now you're gunna be scrambling to get stuff done. Hope this helps.

Hey all - I am a PGY1 in FM who is reapplying to EM this year. My question is should I or can I change my MSPE/Dean's Letter to reflect the events of the past year? I would think it helps but then again I believe these letters should only reflect 4 years of med school, not anything after?

As far as letters of rec, I will be getting one from my current PD, and using my SLOEs from last year. And my personal statement will obviously be different this year.

So aside from personal statement and new LOR from PD, all other documents will be the same.

Any advice?

Thanks

I would be hesitant to re-enter the match with your previous issues (failed year, and other items). Also is your PD ok with you re-applying to the match? Will he renew your contract if you don't match?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would be hesitant to re-enter the match with your previous issues (failed year, and other items). Also is your PD ok with you re-applying to the match? Will he renew your contract if you don't match?

So I just read through Smiths11's recent history. I have to agree with Makati2008. It is a bad idea to try and re-enter the match without fixing your prior issues which it seems like you really can't. You are basically throwing away a catagorical FM spot it seems. If you tell your PD you intend to reapply there is no going back more or less, from what I've heard they will find your replacement easily. Reapplication generally only works if you have a fixable application or issues (from what I understand) and it is exceedingly rare to match as a reapplicant. Also as a reapplicant you are generally weaker than before since you didn't match initially. Without making your application stronger it is hard to rematch.

My advice: keep your catagorical FM position, graduate, make money.

As rather typical on SDN, you ask a question about one thing and get an answer to a totally different thing. If you read my OP closely, I said my PD is writing a letter of rec, which means he is aware of this, so if it is too late, I have already crossed that line. But it's okay because my program is very supportive of people who reapply elsewhere, I am not the the first and won't be the last.

Now back to my original question...should I make changes to my MSPE/Dean's Letter to reflect my PGY1 year? Or should I leave that for my personal statement and PD LOR? Thanks @RainbowOtterz for your reply. My school was different in that we students wrote our own MSPE and Dean's Letter, they just approved before sending it out. Keeping them the way they are would save time and I don't see the benefit of updating them if I have my personal statement/CV to show exactly what I've been doing the past year. But if it is recommended to do so, then I will. Any other opinions on this?

As rather typical on SDN, you ask a question about one thing and get an answer to a totally different thing. If you read my OP closely, I said my PD is writing a letter of rec, which means he is aware of this, so if it is too late, I have already crossed that line. But it's okay because my program is very supportive of people who reapply elsewhere, I am not the the first and won't be the last.

Now back to my original question...should I make changes to my MSPE/Dean's Letter to reflect my PGY1 year? Or should I leave that for my personal statement and PD LOR? Thanks @RainbowOtterz for your reply. My school was different in that we students wrote our own MSPE and Dean's Letter, they just approved before sending it out. Keeping them the way they are would save time and I don't see the benefit of updating them if I have my personal statement/CV to show exactly what I've been doing the past year. But if it is recommended to do so, then I will. Any other opinions on this?

It's related. It's a bit odd the school is letting you write your own MSPE? I'm assuming you are a DO?(I am as well and it sounds like something a DO school would allow.). Also I wonder if your tone in real life is similar to how you are on the forum? If it is similar then you have another red flag to fix before interview season.

I will also say that self awareness/reflection is an important item to work on before you interview. It may prevent an unwanted outcome (i.e. failure to match).

Reactions: 4 users
Any other opinions on my original question? Really would be great if I can get opinions on the question on hand, I truly would appreciate it. TIA

Also I wonder if your tone in real life is similar to how you are on the forum? If it is similar then you have another red flag to fix before interview season.

I will also say that self awareness/reflection is an important item to work on before you interview. It may prevent an unwanted outcome (i.e. failure to match).

Out of my 5 EM rotations, I honored 4 of them and had one high pass (my first audition). None of my evals, and from the feedback I've received, none of my LORs or SLOEs contained anything negative in regards to my personality. Thanks but no thanks.

Perhaps my annoyed tone is from all the unsolicited advice while completely ignoring a very simple question that I ask. Frankly, it can be rather condescending.

Out of my 5 EM rotations, I honored 4 of them and had one high pass (my first audition). None of my evals, and from the feedback I've received, none of my LORs or SLOEs contained anything negative in regards to my personality. Thanks but no thanks.

Perhaps my annoyed tone is from all the unsolicited advice while completely ignoring a very simple question that I ask. Frankly, it can be rather condescending.
Lol love it.

Food for thought. If you did as well as you say during your auditions why didn't you match? Issues like that are what I mean about self awareness. No one is ignoring your questions but it's all related.

So I was a reapplicant who didn't match the first time around and had to do a surgery year. Currently a PGY1^2. Hopefully my advice is helpful:

1) My MSPE was edited and such to reflect that I was reapplying. It was edited by my medical school. It is just an extra line or two, not much. Seemed easy enough.

2) Why didn't you match? This is the key fact to your strategy going forward and it changes the way you approach the letters game and everything. For me I didn't match because of my SLOEs, I had to get 3 new letters (1 group sloe from as a resident, 1 individual sloe, 1 individual EM letter, and my PD).

3) You will be asked every interview day and likely several times per day why you didn't match. You need a good response.

Honestly dude you should have asked this a month ago, now you're gunna be scrambling to get stuff done. Hope this helps.
what was wrong with your SLOEs?

what was wrong with your SLOEs?
They had lukewarm to negative comments. That combined with a controversial personal statement, poor interview performance, and poor application style sunk my battleship.

Edit: It was a massive learning experience to not match. In the aftermath I did a lot of introspection and self reflection, and I think I matured and became a better person and clinical because of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
They had lukewarm to negative comments. That combined with a controversial personal statement, poor interview performance, and poor application style sunk my battleship.

Edit: It was a massive learning experience to not match. In the aftermath I did a lot of introspection and self reflection, and I think I matured and became a better person and clinical because of it.
Good job. As I grow older, the more I believe "everything happens for a reason."

Reactions: 3 users
Food for thought. If you did as well as you say during your auditions why didn't you match? Issues like that are what I mean about self awareness. No one is ignoring your questions but it's all related.

Because good audition performance can't overcome poor step scores. I've been self aware about this for some time now, am not sure why you got the impression that I am not.

Contact your school and see if they will allow for an addendum to the MPSE. If not, its not a big deal. Add the letter from your current PD. Apply broadly.

Best of luck!

Thanks! As it turns out, my school automatically uploaded my old MSPE. Being short of time, I was rather relieved to be honest.