Reapplicant - Couldn't attend because of financial limitations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perpetuallyconfused

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a reapplicant to medical school. The first time I applied, I was accepted at one medical school that I could not attend. I am an international student and the school asked for all four years' worth of tuition upfront which I could not swing.

I am reapplying again this cycle, and my question is, do I need to mention why I didn't attend the first time? From my understanding, some schools will see I was accepted based on the National Acceptance Report, but they may not know why I didn't attend. I have spent the last three years improving finances and am now in a position to attend, thus my reapplication.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Was this school SLU? I remember reading a similar thread where the applicant had to withdraw his acceptance from SLU due to financial constraints. I can't find it right now but try searching SDN to see if you can

Members don't see this ad :)
Was this school SLU? I remember reading a similar thread where the applicant had to withdraw his acceptance from SLU due to financial constraints. I can't find it right now but try searching SDN to see if you can

That might just be me from an older account. The school was indeed SLU. I was expecting a change to permanent residency which never happened. Subsequently, the escrow requirement wasn't waived and I had to decline. I'm not sure how screwed I am now. Wondering if I need to send additional letters to schools addressing this specifically, as I never addressed it directly in my personal statement and not all secondaries have prompts where I can.

How is it possible that SLU can ask for all 4 years up-front?? *confuzzled* That ends up being ~$320,000 according to their website.
It is not unusual for International Students to have to put the whole 4 years up front.

Reactions: 3 users
How is it possible that SLU can ask for all 4 years up-front?? *confuzzled* That ends up being ~$320,000 according to their website.
Because international is not eligible for federal loans and they'd rather have someone unable to attend at the get-go than have them get 2-3 years in and then suddenly be unable to complete their degree!

@perpetuallyconfused The secondaries that ask if you have previously been a medical applicant are your friend - you have a very clear reason outside your control that blocked you, and have done what you needed to remove the obstacle. I think you will not be screwed in the same sense as people that are reapplying because they got no admits and have to show improvements. I think your case will be viewed differently (especially at SLU!).

Reactions: 3 users
Because international is not eligible for federal loans and they'd rather have someone unable to attend at the get-go than have them get 2-3 years in and then suddenly be unable to complete their degree!

@perpetuallyconfused The secondaries that ask if you have previously been a medical applicant are your friend - you have a very clear reason outside your control that blocked you, and have done what you needed to remove the obstacle. I think you will not be screwed in the same sense as people that are reapplying because they got no admits and have to show improvements. I think your case will be viewed differently (especially at SLU!).

Thank you! I guess there is a ray of hope. I have drafted up a letter on how I am in a position to finance a medical education now - thanks to saving diligently through jobs post graduation, and having a family willing to support part of it. Going to send these to all schools (as part of secondary or additional letter), and hope someone bites.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro
@gyngyn
@gonnif

Any other adcoms, need your opinion. I have called multiple schools, and the admissions staff I get through to all say that the admissions committee doesn't consider previous acceptances as a factor when considering for interviews. This is in conflict with what I've generally heard here. Is it just that the front desk attendant I get through to just doesn't know it? Would you recommend I still update schools on my reasons to decline an acceptance previously?

@Goro
@gyngyn
@gonnif

Any other adcoms, need your opinion. I have called multiple schools, and the admissions staff I get through to all say that the admissions committee doesn't consider previous acceptances as a factor when considering for interviews. This is in conflict with what I've generally heard here. Is it just that the front desk attendant I get through to just doesn't know it? Would you recommend I still update schools on my reasons to decline an acceptance previously?
I think that your explanation would be one of the few that would be OK for someone who turned down an accept.

I think that your explanation would be one of the few that would be OK for someone who turned down an accept.
Thanks Goro. My question is, though, are the admissions staff I spoke with mistaken when they say that the ad-com doesn't know if I was previously accepted? According to them, the ad-coms for their particular school won't even know I was previously accepted.

If they are wrong, then I will definitely send my update.

Thanks Goro. My question is, though, are the admissions staff I spoke with mistaken when they say that the ad-com doesn't know if I was previously accepted? According to them, the ad-coms for their particular school won't even know I was previously accepted.

If they are wrong, then I will definitely send my update.
They'll know. FYI, some admissions staff were process paper, and have zero knowledge of the process.

Why did u still apply if you knew you couldn't afford the tuition? Did they ask for 240000 or 320000?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Why did u still apply if you knew you couldn't afford the tuition? Did they ask for 240000 or 320000?

Is this at all helpful?

Probably because this varies from school to school and finances are complicated even for domestic applicants.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Is this at all helpful?

Probably because this varies from school to school and finances are complicated even for domestic applicants.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Sorry I was just curious. Because it's a financial issue and you have improved your app a lot, I think u have a good chance as a reapplicant this year. But there are other schools that require 4 years tuition up front too you gotta pay attention this time.