Reapplicant here. I need some help with school list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TUforMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a re-applicant (still waiting on to hear for WL decision from 1 school) looking for any advice. Bolded items were not included in last years application.

Year in school: Graduated 2016

State: Maryland

Schools I applied to last cycle:

WVU, Albany, Drexel, EVMS, GWU, Georgetown, IU, Temple, NYMC, Oakland, PSU, Vermont, Rosalind Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, OSU, Miami, Tufts, UA- Tuscon, Iowa, Kentucky, UMD, U of Wisco, VCU, WF

Cumulative GPA: 3.87

Science GPA: 3.88

MCAT: 512 (129/125/130/128)

Research: One semester in a lab at undergrad as assistant (no course credits/publications)

Volunteering: 130 hours in ICU (From 2014-2015); **Planning to start volunteering at VA with Red Cross this month**

Physician Shadowing: 20 hours shadowing 1 Anesthesiologist (June to Sept 2016); **Medical Scribe for Pediatrician (1000+ hours)**

Non-Clinical Volunteering: Environmental Cleanup (30 hours), holiday party for underprivileged kids, community service chair of fraternity where I organized many other philanthropic events

ECs: Fraternity Academic and Community Service Chair (left in 2016)

Employment History: Clerical Worker; Got a promotion to IRB Coordinator for University (left in 2016); **Work Full Time as Medical Scribe for Pediatrician (Dec 2017 - Present)**

Immediate Family in Medicine: No

Specialty of Interest: Pediatrics/ Neonatology

Intrest in Rural Health: No

I have an IA on my record for marijuana possession in dorms (I know it was incredibly stupid) but all charges are dropped and no criminal record

I also submitted my secondary applications in mid-September so that might have something to do with it

Here is my school list that I have put together so far for this cycle. Any advice for what schools to add/delete? I am looking to apply to ~20 schools:

Albany, Seton Hall, Rosalind Franklin, Netter, Wake Forest, Penn State, Western Michigan, Colorado, Creighton, MCW, Maryland, Indiana, Geisinger, SUNY Downstate, Rochester, Saint Louis, Vermont, VCU, Wayne State, WVU, Arizona - Tuscon, Toledo, USF, EVMS, UCF, Oakland, NYMC, Temple, Drexel, Tulane, NOVA, Hofstra, California Northstate

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, fellow re-applicant here wishing you best of luck! I'm not an expert on school lists by any stretch, but just wanted to say that I think Colorado may be a long shot. I applied there a couple years ago with some ties to the state and was told afterwards that it's very difficult for OOS to even get an interview. It's a great school, but if you're looking to maximize your chances, you may may want to look elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
How have you improved since last cycle?

As a reapplicant, you need to have DO schools on the list.

Your list is good, but these will be donations:

Colorado,
Indiana,
Geisinger (maybe),
SUNY Downstate,
Arizona - Tuscon,
USF,
UCF,

Avoid CNU like the plague.

Add all Philly Triplets, Va Tech IF you're from rural western MD, Tufts, MCW, U Miami, Rush, Einstein

Members don't see this ad :)
Albany, Seton Hall, Rosalind Franklin, Netter, Wake Forest, Penn State, Western Michigan, Colorado, Creighton, MCW, Maryland, Indiana, Geisinger, SUNY Downstate, Rochester, Saint Louis, Vermont, VCU, Wayne State, WVU, Arizona - Tuscon, Toledo, USF, EVMS, UCF, Oakland, NYMC, Temple, Drexel, Tulane, NOVA, Hofstra, California Northstate

Take off CNU

Why so many OOS publics? Seems like a waste except for maybe Vermont.
Do you have any significant ties to any of those other states?

IMHO...Your resume may not be of interest to an out-of-state public med. My gut tells me that public meds choose OOS applicants who can benefit them in some way.... such as helping with their MCAT averages or helping with their diversity numbers. Ask yourself what do you bring to an out-of-state public med that they can’t get enough from in-state applicants.

How have you improved since last cycle?

As a reapplicant, you need to have DO schools on the list.

Your list is good, but these will be donations:

Colorado,
Indiana,
Geisinger (maybe),
SUNY Downstate,
Arizona - Tuscon,
USF,
UCF,

Avoid CNU like the plague.

Add all Philly Triplets, Va Tech IF you're from rural western MD, Tufts, MCW, U Miami, Rush, Einstein

I have improved since last year imo. I think my clinical experience was weak and for the past 6 months I have been working as a scribe for a pediatrician (I want to go into pediatrics). Also added a strong letter of recommendation from said Doctor. Im from around the Baltimore area so no Va Tech for me. I am worried about applying to so many low yield schools which it seems like all Philly triplets, Tufts, Miami are. I applied to Miami last cycle and they didnt even send me a secondary. I also feel like Einstein is way out of my league (especially with my weak research h/o).

Take off CNU

Why so many OOS publics? Seems like a waste except for maybe Vermont.
Do you have any significant ties to any of those other states?

IMHO...Your resume may not be of interest to an out-of-state public med. My gut tells me that public meds choose OOS applicants who can benefit them in some way.... such as helping with their MCAT averages or helping with their diversity numbers. Ask yourself what do you bring to an out-of-state public med that they can’t get enough from in-state applicants.
I agree but I am honestly so confused as to where I should apply. I really only have a connection with Maryland but I dont want to apply to such low yield schools. Do you have any suggestions?

I agree but I am honestly so confused as to where I should apply. I really only have a connection with Maryland but I dont want to apply to such low yield schools. Do you have any suggestions?
I recommend:
UCF (maybe)
Ohio State (maybe)
Hofstra
U Toledo
Wayne State
U IA
U VM
Pitt
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Western MI
Seton Hall
U MD
Nova MD
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Your stats are a tad about median for MD acceptees. Hence, this is what I recommend.

I recommend:
UCF (maybe)
Ohio State (maybe)
Hofstra
U Toledo
Wayne State
U IA
U VM
Pitt
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Western MI
Seton Hall
U MD
Nova MD
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Your stats are a tad about median for MD acceptees. Hence, this is what I recommend.

It kinda seems like a lot of those schools are pretty low yield. Why do you think that is best for an average applicant like myself?

You have to realize that yield is very low for OOS applicants tp public meds. Look at their OOS applicant numbers vs OOS matriculants.

You seem to be focused on high applicant numbers to private meds, but you need to look more closely at the details for public meds.

For example....about 6480 of Indiana’s 7208 applicants are OOS (90%), yet only 20 students of their 353 MS1 matriculants were OOS.

Those are the kind of numbers you need to look at! Only 20 OOS matriculants out of 353 MS1s....and I bet those 20 OOS have high stats, some significant achievement, or offer some sort of diversity.

Last edited:
It kinda seems like a lot of those schools are pretty low yield. Why do you think that is best for an average applicant like myself?
That's the third time in this thread you've mentioned that.

ALL medical schools are low yield. Get over that. Do you want to be a doctor or not?

Reactions: 3 users
That's the third time in this thread you've mentioned that.

ALL medical schools are low yield. Get over that. Do you want to be a doctor or not?
Ive just heard from others that school with over 9,000 applicants tend to be such a crapshoot that it isnt worth applying. I obviously trust your judgement but it is just that I applied to a ton of those schools last cycle and I have a feeling that it did me in.

Ive just heard from others that school with over 9,000 applicants tend to be such a crapshoot that it isnt worth applying. I obviously trust your judgement but it is just that I applied to a ton of those schools last cycle and I have a feeling that it did me in.

Your odds are much better at a “low yield” school than at some OOS public you have zero ties to.

Reactions: 2 users
Your odds are much better at a “low yield” school than at some OOS public you have zero ties to.

Understood. What do you think about reapplying to the same school as a reapplicant?

You need to be a critical thinker. The devil is in the details. Almost no privates have an instate preference. So, you may be 1 of 6000-10000 applying, but your odds can be better than at an OOS public where 4000 - 6000+ applicants are OOS, but the school will probably only seat 10-25 OOS students...some being MD PhD, URM, high MCAT, etc

Your list should include a bunch of mid/low/unranked privates and your instate publics

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
No, what did you in was a bad application.

Reactions: 1 users
WVU, Albany, Drexel, EVMS, GWU, Georgetown, IU, Temple, NYMC, Oakland, PSU, Vermont, Rosalind Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, OSU, Miami, Tufts, UA- Tuscon, Iowa, Kentucky, UMD, U of Wisco, VCU, WF

Who interviewed you

No, what did you in was a bad application.
I guess thats fair... I also submitted my application late (secondaries submitted in September). Hopefully this year I will be more sucessful. I think I improved my clinical experience which was a weakness in my app.

So I am a re-applicant (still waiting on to hear for WL decision from 1 school) looking for any advice. Bolded items were not included in last years application.

Year in school: Graduated 2016

State: Maryland

Schools I applied to last cycle:

Cumulative GPA: 3.87

Science GPA: 3.88

MCAT: 512 (129/125/130/128)

Research: One semester in a lab at undergrad as assistant (no course credits/publications)

Volunteering: 130 hours in ICU (From 2014-2015); **Planning to start volunteering at VA with Red Cross this month**

Physician Shadowing: 20 hours shadowing 1 Anesthesiologist (June to Sept 2016); **Medical Scribe for Pediatrician (1000+ hours)**

Non-Clinical Volunteering: Environmental Cleanup (30 hours), holiday party for underprivileged kids, community service chair of fraternity where I organized many other philanthropic events

ECs: Fraternity Academic and Community Service Chair (left in 2016)

Employment History: Clerical Worker; Got a promotion to IRB Coordinator for University (left in 2016); **Work Full Time as Medical Scribe for Pediatrician (Dec 2017 - Present)**

Immediate Family in Medicine: No

Specialty of Interest: Pediatrics/ Neonatology

Intrest in Rural Health: No

I have an IA on my record for marijuana possession in dorms (I know it was incredibly stupid) but all charges are dropped and no criminal record

I also submitted my secondary applications in mid-September so that might have something to do with it

Here is my school list that I have put together so far for this cycle. Any advice for what schools to add/delete? I am looking to apply to ~20 schools:

Did you receive any IIs last cycle?