Reapplicant job: Behavior Tech vs Patient Services Rep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StotheBe

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm going to be a reapplicant this coming cycle, so I've been searching for jobs for a very long time. I was looking for clinical jobs because I have low hours. Thankfully I have two job offers, but both aren't very clinical. I can't keep looking for other jobs, so please help me decide which one I should take to boost my app.

1. Behavior Tech: Working with autistic population ranging from children to adults, I basically visit their home and train/educate them to improve their social and play skills through ABA therapy. It is likely that I won't be working with physicians. I'm getting mixed opinion that this is a clinical job. If I do get a job, it is going be my primary clinical experience.

2. Patient Services Rep: Working at a community clinic for underserved population. The job description basically matches that of a front desk clerical work (answering calls, signing in patients, explaining prescriptions...etc.) Although I could describe this as clinical, I'm not sure how ADCOMS would see this.

I'm Psych major so I guess it makes more sense taking BT job, but if I do work as a PSR, I will be helping my own ethnic group doing various work, such as translating. So I guess both has advantages.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd take the patient services rep, only because you might be able to see some of the barriers that exist for underserved populations when it comes to managing their health. I'm not a huge fan of ABA, as it can be quite traumatic for children. However, you do learn to deal with parents and families, which is also a great learning experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd take the patient services rep, only because you might be able to see some of the barriers that exist for underserved populations when it comes to managing their health. I'm not a huge fan of ABA, as it can be quite traumatic for children. However, you do learn to deal with parents and families, which is also a great learning experience.
Do you think they both could work as a clinical experience?

I think yes, for the ABA one because you are working with parents and families. I want to say no for the second, but I think you can still highlight your experiences, and perhaps this will also be an opportunity for you to observe?