Reapplicant Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legit4296

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I will submit my apps as a reapplicant this cycle. I wanted to ask if it is ok to submit a LOR from my previous application. The writer was my supervisor for a program in which I had a leadership role. She does not have anything new to add as I have not worked with her since before my first application.
Recently, I asked if she could update the letter but she asked me to use her original letter.
Is it ok to use this letter that was dated two years ago?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

2 years is probably the upper end of when you would want to ask them to redate/update/find a new person who knows the you now better so you're probably fine. Although OTOH, if you think about how many students get letters from Ochem professors they had when they were sophomores and apply after 1 gap year, thats technically a 3-4 year old letter.

tldr; I think its perfectly fine

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the above post. That would be fine. Especially considering that a lot of students take gap years or have experiences that conclude relatively early in their premed years. If all your letters are 6+ years old, that might be pushing it. But letters that are a couple years old are normal. All of my letters were a couple years old by the time I applied since I'm a non-traditional student who spread out premed ECs over a few years with school full time and work part time.

Reactions: 1 user