Reapplicant looking for advice. 4.0, 521

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlatMarsSociety

Reaction score
I edited more personal information out. What is left is a barebones representation of my future application.

GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 521
State of residency: not CA/TX/NY
Volunteer clinical experience: 300 hours
Non-volunteer clinical: 950 hours scribe
Research experience: 900 hours
Shadowing: 40 hours
Non-clinical service: 1500+ hours

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your AmeriCorps experience counts as lots and lots of nonclinical volunteering. The ultraendurance training is a bit interesting as well, and adds to your application. Also, it might be a good idea to get primary care shadowing. Apply to more schools next time - 10 top 20s, five or so midtiers, and your state schools. Have WashU on your list as well. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also get in service to others less fortunate than yourself
I suggest the following:
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Penn
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
UCSD
UCSF
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USC/Keck
USF Morsani
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Jefferson
Miami
U IA
U VM
Western MI
Your state school
Baylor

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone for the help so far!

@Walter Raleigh I'm glad you mentioned primary care shadowing because that's something I wanted to ask about. A question for you and @Goro - Does the teaching to disadvantaged students count as service, and does the AmeriCorps aspect of it matter? It seems you two might differ about the service there. Do I need to get more service in? I hope to at some point, but I'm currently putting more time into research and working 60-80 hour weeks.

@Faha Yep I'm planning to apply in June 2019, and my state of residence is Washington.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the help so far!

@Walter Raleigh I'm glad you mentioned primary care shadowing because that's something I wanted to ask about. A question for you and @Goro - Does the teaching to disadvantaged students count as service, and does the AmeriCorps aspect of it matter? It seems you two might differ about the service there. Do I need to get more service in? I hope to at some point, but I'm currently putting more time into research and working 60-80 hour weeks.
You have tons of research; you need to show off your altruism. Medicine is a service profession.

Yes and yes to your questions

Sorry I should have been more clear initially. I have next to no research as of right now; I estimated that with my current research position I will have 900 hours by next June.

Counting the teaching as service, I've already completed 1500+ hours of service.

@Goro, he's got around 1,500 hours of nonclinical volunteering. That's no small amount.