Reapplicant - low MCAT - decent GPA - advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi everyone,

My first time posting on here.

Just wondering where I should go in this applications process -

Complete profile here:
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=11014

I really don't think I'm competitive for allopathic schools, I applied last year, but didn't get in anywhere. This year, the only difference is that my MCAT increased from a 24R to a 27R, I'm currently enrolled in a master's program, and one of my research publications finally got accepted. Also, I taught math and science full-time at a high school for a year, but not sure if medschools will care about all that.

Currently feeling very discouraged, and want to apply D.O. but have no experience shadowing a D.O. and from what I understand, they require a LOR from a D.O. :(?

Any suggestions or words of advice are greatly appreciated, thanks!!

~Renny

Members don't see this ad.

Basically you have a slim chance if you apply broadly/early and write/interview well (too late to do this for this cycle really...)

Find a DO to shadow (osteopath board can help), get the LoR, apply DO early next cycle and you should do well.

i think you prob have a good chance of getting in this year, you've got solid research which should help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

My first time posting on here.

Just wondering where I should go in this applications process -

Complete profile here:
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=11014

I really don't think I'm competitive for allopathic schools, I applied last year, but didn't get in anywhere. This year, the only difference is that my MCAT increased from a 24R to a 27R, I'm currently enrolled in a master's program, and one of my research publications finally got accepted. Also, I taught math and science full-time at a high school for a year, but not sure if medschools will care about all that.

Currently feeling very discouraged, and want to apply D.O. but have no experience shadowing a D.O. and from what I understand, they require a LOR from a D.O. :(?

Any suggestions or words of advice are greatly appreciated, thanks!!

~Renny

Your stats are not bad. Your MCAT score increase helps alot.

You should be able to get into a D.O. program.

Cheers

It's not too late to apply to DO this cycle. Only a few of them require that the physician you shadow needs to be a DO. You do need to acquaint yourself with the difference between DO and MD, so you can acquit yourself well in writing a personal statement and secondaries, and on interviews. Read up on this on the pre-osteo subforum.

Also, I think your ECs make you stand out among other applicants. And an increase in your MCAT of three points is remarkable (against the odds). If I were you, I'd apply to my in-state MD school again. I have friends who've made it against the odds with low MCATs (one had a 25) and outstanding ECs. You might also consider calling your state school admissions office to make a phone appointment for another time to discuss your application and see what they say about your chances.

As you've already written a PS and secondary essays, it shouldn't take much time to dust them off, tweak and update them, and get them out. Getting your transcripts certified would be the biggest delay at this point in the cycle. But it's not too late!

Thanks for all the great advice so far.

AMCAS have already been sent out and certified, and have received and submitted secondaries to half the schools I've applied to for MD programs (still waiting on a few). Decided to apply "broadly/early" (as another poster stated earlier) to increase my chances for this application cycle.

Most concerned about D.O. schools because that is where I am lacking most in experience even if my numbers are more compatible. My plan was to shadow one at Midwestern (where I am doing my master's) but that won't be starting until August. I noticed the AACOMAS deadlines are later than AMCAS, but would it still be too late to apply for this year? :confused: