Reapplicant: need advice for MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschooljunglefreak

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm pretty new here, in a bit of a tough situation. I'm a reapplicant with a 3.9 GPA, 29 MCAT (12/7/10). Very good ECs, research, and shadowing. Will be doing NIH postbac for my gap year. I applied super late last year all MD (secondaries weren't in until September), but am trying again this cycle.

I retook the new MCAT 2015 and my total score I'd projected in the low 70th percentile (so not much improvement overall, but verbal shot up :) ). Anyways, I've submitted my AMCAS and applied to 16 schools broadly (6 in my home state Illinois, 2 in STL, 3 in Philly, 1 in NY, 1 in Minnesota, 1 in Louisiana, and 2 in DC). But I just submitted my DO app to 3 schools yesterday (Midwestern, Michigan State, and PCOM).

So I guess my questions are
1) Do I have a realistic shot at any MD schools if I continue finishing my secondaries quickly?
2) Should I apply to more DO schools? If so, where?

I'm just really lost here, and any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

A few, like Oakland-B, Western MI, Netter, TCMC, the Philly Triplets, Albany, NYMC, VCU and EVMS.
1) Do I have a realistic shot at any MD schools if I continue finishing my secondaries quickly?

yes, any of them, but avoid the ones with regional biases. Skip PCOM due to your VR score.
2) Should I apply to more DO schools? If so, where?

I got into PCOM with the same exact total score and a 7 subsection. I wouldn't give up hope if I were you!

Reactions: 1 user