Reapplicant, old MCAT scores, worth taking the new MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atalantamedicus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to decide whether or not to take the new MCAT in 3 weeks or so, and would appreciate any thoughts on my situation!

I have a 30 on the old MCAT (up from a 26 on my first try), and a 3.5 GPA. I applied to 14 schools in the 2015 cycle (I graduated from college in 2014) and interviewed at UMass Med, Dartmouth, and McGill; I was waitlisted at Dartmouth and McGill, but was let off those waitlists during the summer. I am applying again this upcoming June, so I will be a reapplicant at those 14 schools but a new applicant at some others that I will also be adding.

I took a Kaplan live-online prep course that finished in March, and am signed up to take the new MCAT in a few weeks. The highest score I have received on my full-length Kaplan practice tests so far (I have taken 7) is a 501, and I have been hovering at 498-500 for the last three tests or so. I have never taken psychology or sociology.

I worked as a patient services coordinator in an orthopedic trauma clinic for about a year and a half, and am now a clinical researcher in the same department, with the same surgeons.

My question is, is it worth it to take the new MCAT and possibly get lower than the 79th percentile score which I already have? I have heard that Kaplan tends to have very hard practice tests, so I'm not sure how indicative my scores are of my actual test score, but I'm also not sure I should take that gamble. I am definitely applying this cycle, since this is the last time I can use my 30.

Thank you for any thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thank you both for your thoughts! I appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

To be honest, the sociology section is one you can probably do just on a review book's worth of knowledge. It wasn't super in depth and most of the questions were things you could say, "That sounds right for what they described." Psych might take more prep, but also can be done very well without taking a class. Don't let that hold you back.

Prep well, and don't take it unless you're sure you can get a better score. Keep in mind that 30 is a fine score for many MD schools. You can also add some DO schools as well if you are interested in osteopathic medicine.

You had a few interviews during the last cycle so your app should be ok.

While a 30 might limit you from the top tier schools, it shouldn't necessarily eliminate you completely if you apply broadly (as long as your subsections are balanced and you have a 9 or higher on each subsection). In my opinion, taking the new MCAT might be risky since you may not score higher than a 30 equivalent on the new test. Apply early by submitting your primary application in the first week of June (if possible) and apply broadly. I would apply to more than 14 schools if you can to maximize your chances.

Okay, thank you all for your thoughts.

For the most part, I have been able to work through at least the Kaplan Psych/Soc section just fine by just using their review books; they seem to rely on mainly knowing definitions, and the rest is experimental design and interpreting results.

I feel that this is just going to be a weird application cycle for people in my situation, who have old scores but will also (potentially) have new MCAT scores. I know they can compare percentiles but I have to wonder how they will view someone with an old MCAT score vs. a candidate with a new MCAT2015 score, all other factors in their application being equal. I.e, if the person with the old MCAT score theoretically had the opportunity to take MCAT2015, but chose not to......

A premed will create a worry in their head about an adcom no matter how convoluted, contrived or cracked .

1) Adcoms dont compare applicants side by side, factor by factor. It doesnt happen.
2) I cant imagine any adcom wondering why an applicant didnt take the new exam when their school's policy allows a score for 2 or 3 years

I still want to understand what you have done to improve your application over last cycle

Thank you for the perspective, haha.

And yes, of course, I never clarified that. I applied last time right after I graduated college, so I really only had my college experiences on my application; by the time I got a job, I was only able to send updates to schools (and I had been rejected at a few).

I have had a very personal patient experience which initially encouraged me to apply to med school, and which formed a large part of my personal statement during my first round of applying. This has since been reworked to include my following experiences in the "real world," I.e not a student. I received feedback from my college pre-med committee that they thought it really showed how I had matured since graduating college, and how I was really able to speak to being part of a care team.

After graduating, I worked as a patient services coordinator in an orthopedic trauma clinic at a major city hospital. During that time, I worked with the entire care team (surgeons, nurses, medical assistants, and other coordinators) to make sure patient visits ran smoothly and efficiently. I learned to interact with patients from all walks of life, whether elderly or young, Caucasian or another ethnicity. I learned how to deal with upset or angry patients, and comfort others. I also learned how valuable the entire care team is in making a clinic run to give a patient the best care possible.

A few months ago I transitioned to a clinical research position within the same department, with the same surgeons. In my almost two years spent there, by working side by side with the doctors, I have been able to observe their day-to-day lives. Now, beyond my own patient experiences that initially drove me to pursue medicine, I have been able to take part in the "other side" of the patient-doctor experience.

I had a very similar application process (waitlisted with a 30 Mcat after initially getting a 27, decent but not perfect gpa), and taking the new Mcat last summer was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I got a 512 and it opened SO many doors for me with med schools this year. Not that I was interviewed at all I applied to, but the few I did get were much earlier in the cycle, and I got accepted very early. I too had low Kaplan scores (500's or less) because those questions are terrible. Take the amcas practice test which is a better indicator. If you need to reschedule it for a few weeks later, it is totally worth it if you think you get a better score. I took mine in July and was accepted to schools in the fall. I'm confident my score got me those early interviews, and I mean, ultimately it saved me from having to pay for a masters.

I had a very similar application process (waitlisted with a 30 Mcat after initially getting a 27, decent but not perfect gpa), and taking the new Mcat last summer was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I got a 512 and it opened SO many doors for me with med schools this year. Not that I was interviewed at all I applied to, but the few I did get were much earlier in the cycle, and I got accepted very early. I too had low Kaplan scores (500's or less) because those questions are terrible. Take the amcas practice test which is a better indicator. If you need to reschedule it for a few weeks later, it is totally worth it if you think you get a better score. I took mine in July and was accepted to schools in the fall. I'm confident my score got me those early interviews, and I mean, ultimately it saved me from having to pay for a masters.
Thank you for your perspective! It sounds like we did have a very similar previous application cycle. I actually did take the AAMC practice test this past weekend, and did much better than my Kaplan exams (506), so while I will still be doing a Kaplan FL each week until test day it will help keep the scores in perspective! I am also working through the AAMC Question packs so I have a better feel for AAMC-style questions.