jasmine112

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone,

SDN has been really cool, I've been learning a lot from everyone's posts!

Basically, I applied in 2008 as a traditional applicant, got waitlisted and withdrew to get my MPH. Now, I'm applying again (MDApplicants 17662) and would like some input about my schools list...

Since I have an amcas fee waiver, I was thinking about adding:

Emory
Meharry
Morehouse
Albany Med

Thanks so much in advance! I really appreciate it :)

Jul 28, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone,

SDN has been really cool, I've been learning a lot from everyone's posts!

Basically, I applied in 2008 as a traditional applicant, got waitlisted and withdrew to get my MPH. Now, I'm applying again (MDApplicants 17662) and would like some input about my schools list...

Since I have an amcas fee waiver, I was thinking about adding:

Emory
Meharry
Morehouse
Albany Med

Thanks so much in advance! I really appreciate it :)
I think it's OK for you to add those schools but you already seem to have an adequate number of schools anyway. If you don't get into any of those schools this year, there may be other problems with your application (Bad essays, interview, or LORs).

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
Your list is fine as it is. Applying earlier in the cycle will make a huge difference for you. You have a great application on many levels.

OP
jasmine112

jasmine112

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for your replies! The input is really helpful and I hope my LORs and essays do okay this time around!

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Did you have a 35 the last time you applied?

OP
jasmine112

jasmine112

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I was going to ask the same thing. If so, there's something other than bad luck afoot, here.
yes, I had a 35 the last time I applied, I'm reusing my score from August 2007 for this cycle.

And, yes, there was definitely more than "bad luck afoot." I (stupidly) only applied to top tier schools, I applied really late, and I wasn't entirely sure if I wanted to go into medicine, so my interviews and PS were not so hot.

The first time around, I applied because my professors were telling me I should, not because I really wanted to be a doctor. I was more interested in public health. But after studying and interning in public health for a while, you see that it's kinda too far removed from the problems. You don't get to be "in the trenches" like you do in medicine, which is what I really want to be doing and that's why I'm applying now.

And I like your dancing milk carton :)