Reapplicant Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatchAdams25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

A couple quick questions:
1. How many schools (from your experience) ask if you are a reapplicant in secondaries?
2. You are only considered a reapplicant if you have applied to THAT school before correct? If not asked in a secondary than other schools do not have access to that information correct?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.

A couple quick questions:
1. How many schools (from your experience) ask if you are a reapplicant in secondaries?
2. You are only considered a reapplicant if you have applied to THAT school before correct? If not asked in a secondary than other schools do not have access to that information correct?

Thanks!

1. Depends on the school.
2. This will hopefully answer your first question as well. While it is true that you are only considered a reapplicant to the schools you have applied to before, I believe that on your primary, all schools will be able to see that you have applied through AAMC before. The new schools you're applying to won't have access to your past applications, but the primary will indicate that you have applied before. I think. Someone verify/deny this

1. Depends on the school.
2. This will hopefully answer your first question as well. While it is true that you are only considered a reapplicant to the schools you have applied to before, I believe that on your primary, all schools will be able to see that you have applied through AAMC before. The new schools you're applying to won't have access to your past applications, but the primary will indicate that you have applied before. I think. Someone verify/deny this

Yes this part is what I need clarification on

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not entirely sure but I think it is the AMCAS number that indicates you may be a reapplicant since you use the same number each time you apply. But it's been awhile so as I said I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The above is incorrect

AMCAS will show you are a reapplicant ONLY at the schools you have applied to previously.
No school at anytime during the AMCAS process can see any other school you have applied to, whether in the current cycle or past cycle.

Every MD school can see if you have been accepted previously at an MD school

I believe AMCAS guidelines/rules do not allow any school to ask if you have applied previously to any medical school. However, the guidelines do permit secondaries to ask if you have been accepted or matriculated previously at any medical school. Some schools ask the question to include allopathic, osteopathic or foreign schools.

Many medical schools offer specific pages of advice for reapplicants, something I find few students look into. This would be true whether or not you are a specific reapplicant to that school. Below are links to a few and please note most say the most common mistake among reapplicants is applying again too soon

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ear-wamc-advice-please.1191695/#post-17595427
AMCAS does not prohibit queries regarding previous applications.
It is unseemly to inquire to which particular schools, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I see a college grad who took the MCAT as a junior (or earlier), I assume they are a reapplicant until proven otherwise. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Reactions: 1 users
Just for clarification on that @gonnif , AMCAS you will only be a re applicant at the school you have applied to before. Schools can not find out via AMCAS if you are a re applicant. They can however ask in secondaries if you have previously applied... Correct?

Reactions: 1 user
I have an add-on question to this, can all schools see your previous personal statement/work&activities (don't worry mine is changed and my activities are improved )? Or only the schools that you are a reapplicant at?

The official AMCAS thread on here says this though:
'7. What is all of this about being a reapplicant?
Once you have submitted an AMCAS application and are verified, you will be considered a re-applicant the following year. Even though you may not be a re-applicant at a particular school, the AMCAS application will reflect that you have "previously applied to medical school" in that you have had a verified application from a previous year. Every school you apply to will be able to see this, regardless of whether you applied to that particular school before or not.'

Am I just not understanding this correctly? @gonnif @PatchAdams25

most common mistake among reapplicants is applying again too soon
Hi, if I gave more specific info about my old app vs. my new app would you be able to tell me if I am re-applying too soon?

Hi, if I gave more specific info about my old app vs. my new app would you be able to tell me if I am re-applying too soon?

Maybe start you own thread and share some specifics. Especially your stats and when you applied, what you've done to significantly improve for a new application cycle and where you plan to apply(indicate where you will be a reapplicant). That way the information and help you receive will be for you and your situation.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Did you apply last cycle (for fall 2016 matriculation) ?
If so, what have you done this past glide in terms of academics, volunteer, research, MCAT, etc?

If you have spent the year hard at work with improvements or enhancements, then perhaps.
Can I PM you with my specifics? I don't feel comfortable posting some stuff.

Maybe start you own thread and share some specifics. Especially your stats and when you applied, what you've done to significantly improve for a new application cycle and where you plan to apply(indicate where you will be a reapplicant). That way the information and help you receive will be for you and your situation.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
Can I PM you with my specifics? I don't feel comfortable posting some stuff.