Reapplicant: Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wahoo2010

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I applied to medical schools and it's not going well b/c of my MCAT score. In fact, an admission director from one of the schools I applied told me that I have a strong application except my MCAT school and rejected me solely b/c of my MCAT score. If I retake the exam and do well on it and reapply next year, can I send same personal statement and secondary essays since my weakness of my application is MCAT score? Will AMCAS still have my application, or will I have to refill it out?

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to tell, considering your profile reports your GPAS as 0.00 and your MCAT as a 3J. If you're not going to tell us what your stats are, we can't give you an accurate representation of what your application is.

OkayWill AMCAS still have my application, or will I have to refill it out?

No, you will have to refill everything. I suggest (assuming you haven't already) copy and paste personal statement, and activities descriptions into a word document. Even if you change things, it's better to have it than to not.

For feedback, you're going to need to give MCAT and GPA.

Also need to reconsider where you are applying. Perhaps you had a bad day taking the MCAT, and a 'bad MCAT' is subjective. To some, it's a 25, to others, a 32. But you applied to places like WashU, Yale, Harvard, Hopkins, UPenn, NW, Stanford, U Chicago, Cornell, Columbia. Lots of elite schools. If you don't have the stats (and maybe you do, don't know cause you didn't provide them) it is a waste of your time and money.

Give us some stats including what you got on the actual MCAT and what you scored on practice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, you will have to refill everything. I suggest (assuming you haven't already) copy and paste personal statement, and activities descriptions into a word document. Even if you change things, it's better to have it than to not.

No you won't... mine had all my previous coursework and activities filled in. Only my PS needed a rewrite, which I had one anyways.

I don't think it's a problem if you use the same personal statement, etc., but I would imagine that you have done some cool things in the past year besides doing well on the MCAT that you can and should include. Obviously, the reason you want to be a doctor is unlikely to have changed in a year, and the same goes for many other questions.

FWIW, an adcom told me reapplicants should definitely rewrite the PS even if that wasn't the problem. Otherwise, you look lazy.

No you won't... mine had all my previous coursework and activities filled in. Only my PS needed a rewrite, which I had one anyways.

It depends on when you reapply. I applied in 2007 and had to fill out the entire application again.

To the OP, I suggest you rewrite your PS and secondary essays, even if you keep the topics the same. You should have changed a little in the year you're spending to reapply, and your essays should reflect this. Besides, even though they told you your MCAT score was holding you back, do you really want to chance them looking for something else wrong with your original application?