Reapplicant; received an interview by the same school again. Good news?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahlindner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically what the title says. I'm a reapplicant; last time I only got interviewed by one school (let's call it School XYZ). After an agonizing wait period, I got waitlisted eternally.

I've beefed up my credentials this time around (namely, volunteering experiences and grades) and reapplied. This time, I got three interviews. One of them is from School XYZ!

My question is, should I be any "extra" hopeful that the same school is taking a chance on me twice in a row? Is there any special significance to this? FYI, I'm a nonresident and they only interview 5% of their nonresidents so I do feel a bit special that I got interviewed twice.

Or am I vastly overthinking the significance of this, and being too optimistic that they like my improvements and have a better shot of accepting me this time around?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically what the title says. I'm a reapplicant; last time I only got interviewed by one school (let's call it School XYZ). After an agonizing wait period, I got waitlisted eternally.

I've beefed up my credentials this time around (namely, volunteering experiences and grades) and reapplied. This time, I got three interviews. One of them is from School XYZ!

My question is, should I be any "extra" hopeful that the same school is taking a chance on me twice in a row? Is there any special significance to this? FYI, I'm a nonresident and they only interview 5% of their nonresidents so I do feel a bit special that I got interviewed twice.

Or am I vastly overthinking the significance of this, and being too optimistic that they like my improvements and have a better shot of accepting me this time around?

some state schools have very regimented criteria for offering interviews, so you'll get interviewed as long as you meet minimum criteria. I applied to med school 3 times. I had an oos state school interview me 3 times & reject me twice (the last time I withdrew), and their dean quite bluntly told me the interviews were offered via an algorithm b/c they needed to be accountable to the state & able to justify their process (they only admit a few oos each year, most w ties to the state). So you cannot count on it being a good sign.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd think it means they liked you the first time, but had more qualified applicants than spots. If they thought you were likely to be 'borderline' this time, I doubt they'd have bothered to invite you. That said, if the interview invitation decision is made by machine or algorithm, it may mean nothing at all...

Don't suppose you talked to them at the end of last season to find out where you could improve? If you did, you've got your road map - hope you followed it. If not, you'll have to hope that the changes you made (which seem to have improved your app in general) were the changes they wanted to see.

n=1, but I think it's a good sign.

I applied twice. The second time, I got interviews at two schools I had previously interviewed with. The one who waitlisted me initially offered me an acceptance (straight out), and the one who rejected me (post-interview) initially rejected me (post-interview) again.

So it's really hard to say what that school is going to see the second time around. The fact that you got an interview is promising, though--one school who initially gave me an interview didn't offer me one the second time around.

This IS a good thing, so wow them with how you've improved since the last app cycle.