reapplicant reusing secondary essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robocop1998

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i am a reappplicant applying this year. i already rewrote my entire ps and submitted it. i am also planning on rewriting MOST of my secondary essays. However, for some particular questions, is it ok that I just reuse my old essays?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're applying to any of the same schools, odds are they've got your old application sitting right there in the same folder. It'd look a little bit lazy to me if you just copy/pasted your essay over.

I think you can absolutely reuse ideas and even chunks here and there. But I wouldn't use an essay that didn't get me in last year verbatim on my current application this year.

I would change whatever you perceive as weak. The best option is to get direct feedback about your secondary essay from a medical school and address their concerns. This is probably extremely rare, but a couple of the FL schools offer such information. I specifically called USF asking about my app and I made sure to ask them if my secondary essay was lacking in any specific area. They told me they would have liked to hear more about my family, so I simply assimilated this into my old essay.

Members don't see this ad :)
I simply updated what I felt was bad. Obviously, I have an extra year under my belt for EMT, no longer wet the bed at night, and found a cure for cancer within my extra year as a reapplicant.

so i am a reappplicant applying this year. i already rewrote my entire ps and submitted it. i am also planning on rewriting MOST of my secondary essays. However, for some particular questions, is it ok that I just reuse my old essays?

I bet the schools reuse their rejection letters, too.

It's better to start fresh.