reapplicant status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I submitted amcas this year, but decided not to send in any of my secondaries b/c I'd rather apply next year, would I be classified as a 'reapplicant' next year? I am dreading the "what have you done to improve your candidacy" essay. :(

Members don't see this ad.

i think that you would be a reapplicant...as far as that essay goes...you can always explain the steps you've taken to mentally prepare yourself to apply - concentrating on knowing the level of commitment, etc.

If you previously listed the school on your AMCAS, then AMCAS definitely classifies you as a reapplicant regardless of whether you ever submitted a secondary or not. Some schools do not specify in their secondaries what they mean by "reapplicant," but those that do always include people that listed the school on AMCAS but did not submit a secondary. In addition, your AMCAS form will say you're a reapplicant, so if you don't respond to "reapplicant" essays, the school will likely think that you have failed to address a question that applies to you. I considered myself a reapplicant to every school that I had submitted my AMCAS form to way back in 1994, regardless of whether I submitted a secondary (and surprisingly, I did have a list of the schools that I did and did not submit secondaries to in 1994).