Reapplicant: Take my MCAT on July 26 or wait apply next cycle with research pub?

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
3,221
2,368
Status
Medical Student
Med schools look for maturity in applicants too.

I would suggest and wait. The MCAT is something you don't want to rush.
 

JFK90787

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 17, 2009
382
1
New England
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't know your specific situation, but if you ever got a 21 on the MCAT you obviously need months of proper studying. Apply next year.
 

levodopa

5+ Year Member
May 22, 2009
204
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm a post-bac at NIH too and studying is really hard with lab duties. I asked my PI if I could come in late some days so that I can study in the morning and she said that was totally fine. For the last two weeks before my MCAT I came in at 1 on MWF to take practice tests and it really helped. I also was able to study when I was waiting for PCR or ISH incubations. The point of the post-bac fellowship is to help us get into graduate or medical school. Your PI should accommodate your study schedule to a degree.
 

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
14,647
28
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am considering skipping applying this cycle and waiting until my research paper is published (next 4-6 months) and then applying next cycle (2014). Another reason I am considering this is because I am received a 21 on my mcat last year and I am still averaging the same range as of now with my MCAT retake date being July 26th. I already think taking it on July 26 will put me in the late pile. I have a 3.6 GPA with 4 years of total research experience w/ 1 year at the NIH. I am worried that I am taking too many gap years after college and that I am already 23 yrs old and probably wont start med school until I am 25 if I wait until next cycle. Is it worth waiting for my publication and having a year to prepare for my MCAT or should I bite the bullet and apply now and take the mcat in July for the second time?
Uh, wait and get a legitimate score; the pub is much less important than a palatable mcat.
 

Porfirio

7+ Year Member
May 27, 2011
388
154
Status
Medical Student
I am considering skipping applying this cycle and waiting until my research paper is published (next 4-6 months) and then applying next cycle (2014). Another reason I am considering this is because I am received a 21 on my mcat last year and I am still averaging the same range as of now with my MCAT retake date being July 26th. I already think taking it on July 26 will put me in the late pile. I have a 3.6 GPA with 4 years of total research experience w/ 1 year at the NIH. I am worried that I am taking too many gap years after college and that I am already 23 yrs old and probably wont start med school until I am 25 if I wait until next cycle. Is it worth waiting for my publication and having a year to prepare for my MCAT or should I bite the bullet and apply now and take the mcat in July for the second time?

A 21 MCAT is a huge problem. You should take another year off. Apply for the 2015 cycle.
 

penguinism

5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2011
512
57
Status
Medical Student
This is your second thread on the same topic, and the advice will be the same. There's no way that you're getting into a US MD school (except maybe PR schools?) with a 21 MCAT, publication or not. Wait a year, set aside dedicated time to study for the MCAT, and hopefully apply next year with a much higher score. You should also consider DO schools if you haven't already.
 
Sep 13, 2011
1,375
13
Status
Pre-Medical
You should wait..especially since you have been scoring the same on your practice MCATs... maybe you need to change how you are prepping, try a review course.