Reapplicant to Psych residency... Any advice on how to improve my app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdocmember

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm reapplying to Psych since I didn't match last year. While I'm currently a PGY1 DO, I am looking to try for psych again. I got 7 II and I think I did well on most of them. I had a lot of psych ecs and research experiences. My steps are decent, 230, > 236 + < 240... I am going to keep the same LOR as last year, 1 psych doc, 1 neuro doc, 1 fm doc and not sure on the 4th...
I applied to 181 and only got 7 II ...
I am probably only going to apply to 50 programs but programs I have a strong chance of getting into.... Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm... any red flags you aren't mentioning? Did you repeat a year of med school? Have disciplinary action? Something to that effect? 7 interview invites after putting out 181 applications with decent stats suggests there must be something holding you back. If nothing else then could be your personal statement.

Hmm... any red flags you aren't mentioning? Did you repeat a year of med school? Have disciplinary action? Something to that effect? 7 interview invites after putting out 181 applications with decent stats suggests there must be something holding you back. If nothing else then could be your personal statement.
I failed 1 OPP class in my first year of med school, but successfully remediated.... No repeats. I did low on complex, 49x, 470x respectively, but I did good on steps. I don't know of any other red flags. I did change my undergrad major 3x if that matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I failed 1 OPP class in my first year of med school, but successfully remediated.... No repeats. I did low on complex, 49x, 470x respectively, but I did good on steps. I don't know of any other red flags. I did change my undergrad major 3x if that matters.
It sounds like the failure must be whats holding you back. The situation is there are more applicants to psychiatry now than spots and so why pick someone with red flags. That said I do think you will be successful. Your "red flag" doesn't seem too onerous and reapplicants stand out, I suppose because it demonstrates commitment and you'll also be bringing the fact you've completed a pgy-1 year to the table. Make sure your personal statement is really solid. Have it read by someone who is familiar with residency personal statements. Also consider getting more rec letters from psychiatrists. Most people have only 1 from a non psychiatrist. I'm not understanding the rationale behind reducing the number of programs you're applying to this year. While it may make sense to avoid applying to reach programs this time around, you still want to make sure you're casting a broad net.

Changing undergraduate majors is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is what degree and where you got it. I have to agree with Eudaimania, getting only 7 invites is strange given your scores. Low complex score are irrelevant if you take USMLE. Repeating a OPP class doesn't compute at all. We can't give you advice because there seems to be something missing. I doubt it is a bad personal statement unless you confessed to be an axe murderer or something.

Better knock out that step/level III and get the pass.
Folks want to know some one with a PGY-I done won't be a liability for passing that licensure exam.
Apply to ALL programs since this is your second time around.
At most have one non psych as others posted above.