Reapplicant Who Needs Help With School List!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldpremed38

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I applied last cycle and was unsuccessful in getting an acceptance despite 8 interviews (5 rejections and 3 wait lists). I plan on reapplying to the 8 schools I received an interview at and not any of the 16 schools where I did not receive an interview. I live in the state of Connecticut, am very old (39) and have a lot of red flags and old prerequisites and extracurriculars. Can anyone who is knowledgeable let me know what schools I should apply to (if any) other than the 8 schools I received an interview at? I intend on applying to mostly DO schools again because I have a low MCAT (504).
8 Interviews:
LECOM-Elmira Campus
ARCOM
ICOM
CUSOM
Touro-NY-Middletown Campus
Northeast Ohio Medical University
William Carey
UNECOM

No Interview Invite:
A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine Arizona
A.T. Still University of Health Sciences - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine at Midwestern University
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus
Lincoln Memorial University-DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine
Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of Pikeville-Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine

MD School – 1 total
Quinnipiac

Here is a summation of my stats/extracurriculars:

Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, December 2009
Large State School
Overall GPA: 3.86
Science GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 504

EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES

Volunteer at local hospital Same Day Surgery Department - 955 hours
Research Assistant at University Health Center Genetics Lab - 213 hours
Research Assistant for Poeciliine Gonopodium Length and Size Dependence of Mating Strategies Research Project - 1 semester
Research Assistant for Multi-Component Evaluation to Minimize the Spread of Aquatic Invasive Research Project - 2 summers
Research Assistant for The Asian red seaweed Grateloupia turuturu Research Project - 1 summer
Biology Tutor - 1 semester
Member of Premedical Society - 2 year
Volunteer at local Soup Kitchen - 2 years
Physician Shadowing - 20 hours

ACCOLADES/ACHIEVEMENTS
Capital Scholarship winner
Dean's List - 7 occasions
Honor's Note - Economics
New England Scholar - 3 occasions
National Merit Scholar Honor Club Member
Golden Key Honor Club Member
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Club Member
Excellence in Biology Award - 2007
CNA Nightingale Award
CNA Top Average Award

EMPLOYMENT
12/19-present Certified Nursing Assistant

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First question that comes to mind is what exactly do you mean you have a lot of red flags?
Thanks for your reply. The red flags are as follows:
1.Very old (39)
2.Old prerequisite classes and old extracurriculars
3.Two poor MCAT scores before the 504 (which is only good for DO schools)
3.Gaps in transcript as I took the MCAT 3 times
Despite these red flags, I was still able to secure 8 interviews last cycle. A few of the schools that I sought feedback from told me it was my poor interview performance and not my red flags. Any input from any one on what schools (other than the 8 I received interviews from last time) I should apply to would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply. The red flags are as follows:
1.Very old (39)
2.Old prerequisite classes and old extracurriculars
3.Two poor MCAT scores before the 504 (which is only good for DO schools)
3.Gaps in transcript as I took the MCAT 3 times
Despite these red flags, I was still able to secure 8 interviews last cycle. A few of the schools that I sought feedback from told me it was my poor interview performance and not my red flags. Any input from any one on what schools (other than the 8 I received interviews from last time) I should apply to would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sadly this is just the opinion of a know nothing premed.
1. Age has absolutely nothing to do with it, refer to The Age Discrimination Act of 1975
2. Something you need to check each school about, but seems you’ve already found a few that are good with what you got
3. not one I’m too confident on, but you’ve shown improvement and you have a “fair” score. Also absolutely nothing wrong with DO.
Your stats are definitely good and it shows through getting so many interviews. You may receive more feedback on your school list by posting in WAMC. Maybe the only thing you really have left to do is figure out why your interview skills are poor and how you can fix that.

Sadly this is just the opinion of a know nothing premed.
1. Age has absolutely nothing to do with it, refer to The Age Discrimination Act of 1975
2. Something you need to check each school about, but seems you’ve already found a few that are good with what you got
3. not one I’m too confident on, but you’ve shown improvement and you have a “fair” score. Also absolutely nothing wrong with DO.
Your stats are definitely good and it shows through getting so many interviews. You may receive more feedback on your school list by posting in WAMC. Maybe the only thing you really have left to do is figure out why your interview skills are poor and how you can fix that.
Thank you for your reply and advice. Do you have a recommendation of a good company that preps people for medical school interviews? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

It is probably your poor interviewing schools that prevented an acceptance. In addition to the 8 schools where you were interviewed I suggest adding these schools to your application:
VCOM (all 4 schools)
UIWSOM
Noorda-COM
BCOM
NYIT-AR
LMU-DCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ACOM
ATSU-SOMA

It is probably your poor interviewing schools that prevented an acceptance. In addition to the 8 schools where you were interviewed I suggest adding these schools to your application:
VCOM (all 4 schools)
UIWSOM
Noorda-COM
BCOM
NYIT-AR
LMU-DCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ACOM
ATSU-SOMA
Thank you very much for your reply and providing me with a list of schools. I greatly appreciate it! I know that you are very well respected on this board and I greatly appreciate your assistance. Can you give me some logic on why you chose the schools you chose? Do you believe that I have a chance of getting an interview at all of the schools that you have listed? I hope that you kept in consideration that I am 39, from Connecticut, have a lot of red flags, and this is my second attempt at applying. I definitely will apply to the schools that you suggested if you believe that I have a chance at getting an interview. Lastly, do you recommend a company that I could utilize for mock interviews?

Last edited:
I almost never respond to these kinds of posts because I am not an expert and SDN can be a den of well-intentioned misinformation. But as a fellow "very old" person who had a successful MD cycle despite similar "red flags" and much worse stats than yours, I want you to hear that it seems a bit like your attitude is your problem, not your application. Your response to Faha above suggests to me that you really don't have a handle on what happened this cycle and that you are determined to place the blame on other, perhaps less alterable, aspects of your application rather than accept the reality that you had multiple chances and did not perform.

Sure, taking the MCAT three times is a red flag, but it is not insurmountable. You need to stop focusing on your red flags and start building a solid case in your mind for why you would make an excellent physician. With 8 interviews offered and no acceptances, two facts are very plain. 1. Your application is fine, and so is your school list. Eight interviews in a given cycle is a lot, and you should not expect interviews from everywhere you apply. 2. Your interview skills are obviously THE problem. In fact, your age should be a serious advantage when it comes to the interview because in theory, your interview skills should be more highly developed, so the fact that you are older and don't interview well raises its own red flags.

Also, if you continue drawing attention to your age in a negative way, then you are right, it will be a factor. AdComs obviously will see that you are older whether you draw attention to it or not but they also see lots of older applicants, and accept lots of older applicants. If they want to ask you questions about that, then in all likelihood it will not be about your age but about why you want to go into medicine and why now. You had better have a very good answer to that question. In my class, a good third of us are north of 30 and about ten of us are in the 35-45 range. You will be on the older end of your class, but older applicants are common and largely valued for their life experiences, so turn that into a strength, not a weakness. Your age is not a liability here, and you have to stop thinking of it as such.

I would try finding a local branch of Toastmasters International and get involved. Without knowing you, I can't weigh in on why your interviews were unsuccessful, but it's usually nerves, inability to put together a coherent answer under pressure, or lack of professionalism. Join a Toastmasters club, get yourself talking in front of strangers, giving speeches, taking part in debates, and generally loosening up. The best interviews are conversational and relaxed. I am sure there are companies out there than can help you prepare for med school interviews specifically, but I'll bet what you really need is just to get more comfortable relating to new people on the fly.

Sorry for a bit of tough love here. I'm rooting for you. DM me if I can help in any other way.

Reactions: 2 users
Your red flags are not red flags for the purpose of medical school admissions. A real red flag would be a DUI, felony or misdemeanor convictions, institutional actions or a poor LOR. Most of the schools I listed have MCAT medians lower than your 504. Some have recently expanded enrollment and need to accept more applicants to fill their class. Others are newer schools with relatively fewer applications so less competition. @Goro may be able to suggest sources for interview prep.

Thank you very much for your reply. I will be sure to read all of that. Please let me know what company you recommend for me to utilize to work on mock interviews. Also, if you have any suggestions on the schools I should apply to, please let me know!

Thank you very much for your reply. I will be sure to read all of that. Please let me know what company you recommend for me to utilize to work on mock interviews. Also, if you have any suggestions on the schools I should apply to, please let me know!
I don't recommend companies.

Faha posted a good list, but I cannot recommend LMU.

I don't recommend companies.

Faha posted a good list, but I cannot recommend LMU.
Thank you for your reply. How do you feel is the best way to prepare for an interview (other than reading your archived posts)? May I ask why you do not recommend LMU. Is it because you feel I am less likely to be given an interview or because they are a poor institution for whatever reason?

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. How do you feel is the best way to prepare for an interview (other than reading your archived posts)? May I ask why you do not recommend LMU. Is it because you feel I am less likely to be given an interview or because they are a poor institution for whatever reason?

LMU was granted continuing Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.”

This is only one of three COMs that has this level of accreditation status right now.

Accreditation decisions for colleges of osteopathic medicine - American Osteopathic Association

On top of this, the administration of the parent body fired a dean for supporting social justice and racial equality.

Their position is: On August 14th (2020), an Associate Dean of Students emailed new student policy that stated “You are not allowed to be involved in any form of public statement about social justice and racial inequities in medicine in any prominent location on the LMU campus”."