Reapplicant with 9 Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllopathicApplicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a re-applicant and I have a ton of questions. I didn't know about SDN last time I applied, and have gained so much info perusing these threads. However, there are still some specific questions about my application that I'd like to get a community perspective on.

Last cycle, I applied late (though I didn't know it was late back then), with subpar scores. To start off with a brief background, I was a Biology Education major during college. I'd wanted to be a teacher since I was a child, but when my brother got diagnosed with a chronic kidney disease during my sophomore year of college, I found the comfort and peace our family nephrologist gave us so soothing, and decided, this was it!

As a naive sophomore who didn't know the slightest about medical school, I followed a tips sheet from my pre-health advisor, and in one summer took Physics I/II, Chemistry I/II and Organic Chemistry I/II. I did alright, and ended with A's in both chemistries and physics, and C+'s in Organic (I fell in love with organic later in my premed journey!). I then sat for my 1st MCAT at the end of my sophomore year (2012), and received a score of 23. I sat for it again three months later and received a 25. I continued finishing up my degree, and entered my 1-year teaching internship.

During my senior year, I found SDN, and the SN2ED plan. I took my MCAT after graduating, in July, and received a 3rd score of 33 (11/11/11). Very pleased with that. After I graduated, I applied with a 3.60 cGPA, 3.47 sGPA, 33 MCAT. I was verified late August, and received 2 interviews out of the 10 schools I applied to. I was waitlisted at both, and told my science GPA was low.

During my application year, I worked as a teacher in a middle school in the South, and am currently finishing that up. I love it! And I hate it! The kids are great, everything else....not so much! I love my staff to death though so I am fortunate in that sense.

So that brings me to my questions

Question 1: On a teacher's salary, college courses were too expensive for me, so I enrolled at HES (Harvard Extension School) and took 12 courses there. Will this be looked down upon?

Question 2:
I had a 3.60/3.47, and now have a 3.70/3.58, will this make a dramatic difference in my applications, or should I enroll in summer courses as well? I wanted my sGPA to be a 3.60 but whoops, guess not!

Question 3:
One of my LOR's is from an Extension class. It's from a Non-science professor, and fun fact, I have never met him in real life! Just through our discussions on our online portal, as well as email exchanges. But he is very eager to write my LOR, and I think he does know me well.

Question 4:
Though I loved teaching Middle School, I was offered a job to do consulting for McKinsey in London for a year. Will it be terribly difficult to interview back and forth across the Atlantic ocean? Any experiences? I'm willing to turn it down...but I hear London - DC flights aren't that expensive. And my husband and I were fortunate enough to have saved a lot of money this past year.

Question 5:
Is there really a re-applicant stigma? Will some schools look down upon me because I am a reapplicant? At the time of application, I was a Virginia resident and I applied to: VTech, UVA, VCU, EVMS, Howard, GWU, Georgetown, UMD, WVU, and Marshall. We'd just gotten married and I was a bit geographically limited...not so much anymore!

Question 6:
I have (3) MCAT scores...should I mention anything about this in my Personal Statement? I didn't the first time around, but my Pre-Health advisor said it is important to address the weaknesses in your application in your PS. Personally, if I was hiring a new teacher, I'd think it's almost a bad idea and would be more of an excuse than anything. But, I don't know how it works in Medical School admissions.

Question 7:
I had challenges in Organic Chemistry and it wasn't until I started Chad's videos that I found out what it's all about. Will two C+'s be a glaring factor? I got an A- in both OChem labs.

Question 8: This year, I was admitted to (1) Dental School and (1) DO School. I decided against the Dental School, because Dentistry wasn't for me. My husband and I decided to apply because we saw it as more of a "lifestyle" profession. However, after shadowing a dentist I decided it really was not for me, and declined all of my interviews. I got admitted to a Dental School that has no interviews, and apparently forgot to withdraw my application from. I was also admitted to a DO School that was on the other side of the nation. Because we'd just gotten married and started our jobs, and it was ridiculously expensive, I decided against it. In the end...do I think it was stupid of me to let go of an acceptance? Maybe...I am still holding out for an MD Acceptance, but am applying MD/DO this cycle. My question is, will schools know about this acceptance? I understand how it would look to turn down an acceptance...ungrateful!

Question 8:
What do you think of my overall chances? I am applying to 25 Schools this time around, all over the U.S. Dartmouth is my #1. I am an ORM and attended a lowly state school (laughs!).

Question 9: Do you have any recommendations for me going into my second app cycle?

Also, apologies for the long, long, long thread!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow the advisement sucked didn't it!?
Also from small college and totally relate...good luck

Although not knowing the application timeline is pretty bad. Don't mention it in your PS, or at least don't put it in CAPS. OK MAYBE CAPS BUT DON'T Underline it.

Actually useful posts to follow from others

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Is it all online? Were any of these prerequisites? Just make sure the schools you are applying accept online classes for their prerequisites.
2. You made it increase, good! Any additional courses you take will barely make a difference, I would invest your efforts elsewhere.
3. As long as the letter has nothing negative to say about you, you should be fine.
4. This is more about personal opinion. I would hate the travel across the ocean (multiple trips? cost? time? crazy!).
5. Schools you reapply to again want to see (significant) improvement. Some schools welcome reapplicants, some not so much.
6. This is a tough question. I personally would leave it out of my PS and maybe mention how you improved in secondaries/interviews.
7. OChem is notorious for being gpa killers. Don't sweat it, it's only 2 C's.
8. Turning down the DO was probably a stupid decision. Some MD schools will ask if you have previously been accepted to any medical schools, your chances for those schools are near 0. I turn to other more knowledgeable regarding how DO schools think of this.
8 again?. Apply broadly and early, invest in the MSAR and apply schools with median scores close to your own. Apply all state schools. Chances depends on your ECs.
9. Look at 8.

1. Is it all online? Were any of these prerequisites? Just make sure the schools you are applying accept online classes for their prerequisites.
2. You made it increase, good! Any additional courses you take will barely make a difference, I would invest your efforts elsewhere.
3. As long as the letter has nothing negative to say about you, you should be fine.
4. This is more about personal opinion. I would hate the travel across the ocean (multiple trips? cost? time? crazy!).
5. Schools you reapply to again want to see (significant) improvement. Some schools welcome reapplicants, some not so much.
6. This is a tough question. I personally would leave it out of my PS and maybe mention how you improved in secondaries/interviews.
7. OChem is notorious for being gpa killers. Don't sweat it, it's only 2 C's.
8. Turning down the DO was probably a stupid decision. Some MD schools will ask if you have previously been accepted to any medical schools, your chances for those schools are near 0. I turn to other more knowledgeable regarding how DO schools think of this.
8 again?. Apply broadly and early, invest in the MSAR and apply schools with median scores close to your own. Apply all state schools. Chances depends on your ECs.
9. Look at 8.
Hey, thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I think the flying back and forth might be tricky as well, especially considering it's my 2nd cycle. My husband is an engineer, and we've desperately been trying to save as much money as possible so that we might be comfortable through my 4 years in medical school. That's priarily why I chose to take the McKinsey job, because of the increased salary. But I will have to take it's impact on my cycle into consideration.

Nope.

Question 1: On a teacher's salary, college courses were too expensive for me, so I enrolled at HES (Harvard Extension School) and took 12 courses there. Will this be looked down upon?

3.6 = average for MD matriculants. 3.7 = > avg. The higher stats will help. Keep in mind that your interview skills might have been lacking, and it's a lot more polite to say "your sGPA was a concern".
Question 2: I had a 3.60/3.47, and now have a 3.70/3.58, will this make a dramatic difference in my applications, or should I enroll in summer courses as well? I wanted my sGPA to be a 3.60 but whoops, guess not!

I wouldn't be impressed.
Question 3: One of my LOR's is from an Extension class. It's from a Non-science professor, and fun fact, I have never met him in real life! Just through our discussions on our online portal, as well as email exchanges. But he is very eager to write my LOR, and I think he does know me well.

Re-applicants are expected to have improved considerably from the last app cycle. All applicants are expected to research this endeavor. Thus, you can forget Howard, unless you have extensive service to minority communities.
Question 5: Is there really a re-applicant stigma? Will some schools look down upon me because I am a reapplicant? At the time of application, I was a Virginia resident and I applied to: VTech, UVA, VCU, EVMS, Howard, GWU, Georgetown, UMD, WVU, and Marshall. We'd just gotten married and I was a bit geographically limited...not so much anymore!

Nope; it will only come across as making excuses.
Question 6: I have (3) MCAT scores...should I mention anything about this in my Personal Statement? I didn't the first time around, but my Pre-Health advisor said it is important to address the weaknesses in your application in your PS. Personally, if I was hiring a new teacher, I'd think it's almost a bad idea and would be more of an excuse than anything. But, I don't know how it works in Medical School admissions.

No.
Question 7: I had challenges in Organic Chemistry and it wasn't until I started Chad's videos that I found out what it's all about. Will two C+'s be a glaring factor? I got an A- in both OChem labs.

Yes. In four years, you'd be a doctor. Now, it's five years, minimum. NO, other schools won't know about the acceptance. But IF, somehow, it were know, then you could probably kiss a DO degree goodbye.
Question 8: In the end...do I think it was stupid of me to let go of an acceptance? Maybe...I am still holding out for an MD Acceptance, but am applying MD/DO this cycle. My question is, will schools know about this acceptance? I understand how it would look to turn down an acceptance...ungrateful!

Apply carefully. Do your homework and apply to schools which do NOT average scores, but will take your highest.
Question 8: What do you think of my overall chances? I am applying to 25 Schools this time around, all over the U.S. Dartmouth is my #1. I am an ORM and attended a lowly state school (laughs!).

Always have a backup plan.
Question 9: Do you have any recommendations for me going into my second app cycle?
\

No. However, some schools may take issue with online coursework, so there's that (iirc, Hext has both online and in-person).
Question 2: I had a 3.60/3.47, and now have a 3.70/3.58, will this make a dramatic difference in my applications, or should I enroll in summer courses as well? I wanted my sGPA to be a 3.60 but whoops, guess not!
Not only will your increased gpa help you, but having a string of As in recent coursework while busy will do wonders.
Question 3: One of my LOR's is from an Extension class. It's from a Non-science professor, and fun fact, I have never met him in real life! Just through our discussions on our online portal, as well as email exchanges. But he is very eager to write my LOR, and I think he does know me well.
Go with your gut. I think it's good to have a rec from the upslope of a redemption story, but the online aspect won't do you many favors.
Question 4: Though I loved teaching Middle School, I was offered a job to do consulting for McKinsey in London for a year. Will it be terribly difficult to interview back and forth across the Atlantic ocean? Any experiences? I'm willing to turn it down...but I hear London - DC flights aren't that expensive. And my husband and I were fortunate enough to have saved a lot of money this past year.
It will be harder than not doing that, but probably doable. See if the money you earn is still an improvement after you pay the airfare. Hopefully you'll be able to consolidate your interviews - sometimes schools will help you cluster them if you're abroad - but don't assume that going in.
Question 5: Is there really a re-applicant stigma? Will some schools look down upon me because I am a reapplicant? At the time of application, I was a Virginia resident and I applied to: VTech, UVA, VCU, EVMS, Howard, GWU, Georgetown, UMD, WVU, and Marshall. We'd just gotten married and I was a bit geographically limited...not so much anymore!
You're only a reapplicant at schools you applied to the first time. Check out the reapplicants forum for more info.
Question 6: I have (3) MCAT scores...should I mention anything about this in my Personal Statement? I didn't the first time around, but my Pre-Health advisor said it is important to address the weaknesses in your application in your PS. Personally, if I was hiring a new teacher, I'd think it's almost a bad idea and would be more of an excuse than anything. But, I don't know how it works in Medical School admissions.
Don't mention it, but keep multiple-MCAT policy in mind when you choose schools.
Question 7: I had challenges in Organic Chemistry and it wasn't until I started Chad's videos that I found out what it's all about. Will two C+'s be a glaring factor? I got an A- in both OChem labs.
Don't count on the labs to outweigh the lectures. Hopefully your MCAT will help you demonstrate your improvement. Probably not worth retaking.
Question 8: This year, I was admitted to (1) Dental School and (1) DO School. I decided against the Dental School, because Dentistry wasn't for me. My husband and I decided to apply because we saw it as more of a "lifestyle" profession. However, after shadowing a dentist I decided it really was not for me, and declined all of my interviews. I got admitted to a Dental School that has no interviews, and apparently forgot to withdraw my application from. I was also admitted to a DO School that was on the other side of the nation. Because we'd just gotten married and started our jobs, and it was ridiculously expensive, I decided against it. In the end...do I think it was stupid of me to let go of an acceptance? Maybe...I am still holding out for an MD Acceptance, but am applying MD/DO this cycle. My question is, will schools know about this acceptance? I understand how it would look to turn down an acceptance...ungrateful!
MD schools will not know, necessarily, though if they ask you should be honest. DO schools might? That might hurt you.
Question 8: What do you think of my overall chances? I am applying to 25 Schools this time around, all over the U.S. Dartmouth is my #1. I am an ORM and attended a lowly state school (laughs!).
You've got decent stats and a good story. I think you've got a decent chance. Just be smart this year!
You look as if you've finally done your research. I don't have much to add. Hopefully it pays off!

I don't know much about admissions but I do know that med school is expensive pretty much anywhere you go, and you can't assume you're going to get in to a cheaper school. Hindsights 20/20, but next time take the acceptance and run with it. Start warming up to the idea now that you're going to be taking on some considerable debt.

No. As long as they aren't your only credits, taking community college or online classes are fine.

Question 2:
I had a 3.60/3.47, and now have a 3.70/3.58, will this make a dramatic difference in my applications, or should I enroll in summer courses as well? I wanted my sGPA to be a 3.60 but whoops, guess not!
Higher numbers are always better, but realistically 0.1 jump is not going to make a big difference when there are other problems with an application.

Question 3:
One of my LOR's is from an Extension class. It's from a Non-science professor, and fun fact, I have never met him in real life! Just through our discussions on our online portal, as well as email exchanges. But he is very eager to write my LOR, and I think he does know me well.
This is a weak letter at best and negative letter at worst. Would not include.

Question 4:
Though I loved teaching Middle School, I was offered a job to do consulting for McKinsey in London for a year. Will it be terribly difficult to interview back and forth across the Atlantic ocean? Any experiences? I'm willing to turn it down...but I hear London - DC flights aren't that expensive. And my husband and I were fortunate enough to have saved a lot of money this past year.
Doable? Yes. Difficult? Yes. Stronger applicants can get away with more because schools with chase after them. Reapplicants with marginal scores, not so much. Flying back and forth is a lot of hassle. If this isn't a part of your backup plan, I would avoid.

Question 5:
Is there really a re-applicant stigma? Will some schools look down upon me because I am a reapplicant? At the time of application, I was a Virginia resident and I applied to: VTech, UVA, VCU, EVMS, Howard, GWU, Georgetown, UMD, WVU, and Marshall. We'd just gotten married and I was a bit geographically limited...not so much anymore!
Yes, and for good reason.

Question 6:
I have (3) MCAT scores...should I mention anything about this in my Personal Statement? I didn't the first time around, but my Pre-Health advisor said it is important to address the weaknesses in your application in your PS. Personally, if I was hiring a new teacher, I'd think it's almost a bad idea and would be more of an excuse than anything. But, I don't know how it works in Medical School admissions.
No, they should not be mentioned in a personal statement. Your scores speak for themselves, we don't need you to tell us about them.

Question 7:
I had challenges in Organic Chemistry and it wasn't until I started Chad's videos that I found out what it's all about. Will two C+'s be a glaring factor? I got an A- in both OChem labs.
Negative? Yes. Killer? No. There are a lot of physicians out there that got C's in something at some point. Not a ton, but a fair few.

It will be seen as a big negative. Why did you apply to schools if you weren't going to attend them. Poor planning/not knowing what you were doing reflects poorly on you. This isn't about being ungrateful. This about you having no idea what you are getting yourself into and a poor future investment.

Question 8:
What do you think of my overall chances? I am applying to 25 Schools this time around, all over the U.S. Dartmouth is my #1. I am an ORM and attended a lowly state school (laughs!).
Early application, not including bad letters, reasonable personal statement, smart school choices to maximize the effect of your new MCAT, etc. AND the rest of your application is above average (research, volunteering, etc etc) then you stand a decent shot of getting into somewhere and including DO, a pretty good shot.

Plan. Play out each scenario and get a good idea of what you are going into. Your post talks about a lot of changes/things that were 'out of your control', which were either personal choices and/or things that can be anticipated or planned around.

Also, apologies for the long, long, long thread!

Reactions: 1 user