1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Reapplicants - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ElyMD2008, Apr 25, 2004.

1. ElyMD2008

ElyMD2008 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

For those that have reapplied how much did you change your application? Did you change your personal statement or just revise it. Did you change your experience descriptions? Thanks for the feedback.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MissMillie

MissMillie Member
    7+ Year Member

I modified my personal statement to include what I planned to do in my year in between. Also I changed the tone slightly since I was a reapplicant. But I did not re-do it by any means. I only proofread the experience descriptions and deleted a couple in order to include more recent and significant ones.

4. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You have checked out the forums set up for re-applicants?

5. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

Ya, this really should be moved over to re-apps instead of pre-allo.

With that said however, I applied 4 times and have 3 different PSs.

And my 3rd is nothing like the other two.
    I think you need to be able to talk about what you have done since the last app (they will expect something to be different... or atleast I was asked a bunch).

6. ms. a

ms. a Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    When I reapplied, I completely rewrote my personal statement, since I wanted to write about a very significant event that happened during my first application cycle (although it had nothing to do withthe application process). That was about it for changes. But, after I submitted my secondaries, I sent follow-up letters to the school that I really, really wanted to go to - sort of like a letter of interest before ever even getting invited for an interview. I guess it helped - I got accepted.

7. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I completely redid my personal statement to not include my desire to specialize in pediatric oncology. It was my main focus because I went back to school after the horrible illness and death of my friend to ovarian cancer. I was told during an interivew, that I couldn't possibly know that I wanted to specialize before I even went to med school. AFter not getting into to the school where I live, I took a 2 years off and then applied again. Since I am older now, I can't take as much time to become an oncologist

So after much soul searching I decided I want to be a rural primary care doc and changed my personal statement to reflect my desire to do that.

This time I had a bunch of interview offers and more acceptances. Was it the statement change? Who knows, this whole process is subjective to the cycle you are applying in.

8. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

THE BIGGEST CHANGE THAT I DID WAS TO APPLY EARLY

THAT CHANGED THINGS ALOT....... the response this year has been alot more positive! thats the best advice I CAN GIVE YOU.

I attempted to improve my mcats as well..... and scored 4 points higher but verbal remained the same at a low 7 (12's on the other sections though)

GOOD LUCK AND NEVER GIVE UP

9. MNgrrl

MNgrrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I completely re-wrote my PS, and I think it definitely helped because it was much stronger and well thought-out. I revised my experiences, but didn't re-write them. I also retook the MCAT. If you plan to reapply at schools you have already applied at, I would suggest calling and asking what your weakness was.

10. SurgeryRA

SurgeryRA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I completely agree with applying earlier. Not only get in your AMCAS as soon as possible but don't sit on your secondary applications either. My applications were complete a lot earlier than last year, and I had much more luck with the process. Also, I modified my PS but didn't completely change it. To be honest not much of my application changed except for the fact that I applied earlier. Good luck.

11. ElyMD2008

ElyMD2008 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for all the good advice. I would have posted this in the reapplicants section but there was not as much activity. I have to retake the MCAT because I had a terrible verbal score but I do want to get my application turned in in June. Thanks again for the feedback!

12. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

sorta changed my PS, kept key stuff in
    retook MCAT
    got a masters

I 2nd the whole apply early,made all the difference for me!!Send sec apps back ASAP!!!

13. CarerraGT

CarerraGT Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

for my personal statement, i just went back and edited it. i just added a few experiences since the last application process but no real overhaul of it.

for my experiences, i just rewrote what i had from before.

14. camstah

camstah running thru dandelions
    7+ Year Member

completely changed my personal statement...went from stuffy and run of the mill to look, this is who i am, i'm not stuffy and anal, and *gasp* i can still handle studying....i don't know if schools liked the new one, but i'll tell you, i liked it, it felt like me, and i felt a hell of a lot more comfortable sending it out...
    but that whole early advice? it's good advice..i wish i hadn't sat on my secondaries.....