Reapplicants - which schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

random1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am already preparing for an MCAT retake and a possible reapplication cycle next year. I submitted 36 MD secondaries this cycle, and have received interviews, but no acceptances yet, probably due to low MCAT (27). If I need to reapply, I was thinking which schools...? Is there, for instance, a consolidated list of schools that do not allow second applications or do I need to look that up individually for each school?

In general, my strategy is to pick schools that
- I interviewed at, liked, but was waitlisted (if this happens, still haven't heard back from many post interview...if rejected post interview, will not reapply to those schools)
- Apply to DO schools
- No more than 15 MD schools

Any other advice? At the end of this cycle, I will personalize this w/more details, but in general is this a good strategy for a reapplication?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to do something other than retake the MCAT to strengthen your application. Regardless of how strong it already is, you will be asked what you have done to improve your application, and "retook the MCAT" is not sufficient, especially if you are getting interviews in spite of the 27.

I would not write off schools that rejected you post interview if you change your application. Different schools take different material into consideration when making the final decision on your application, and unless they do an app post-mortem and tell you that the aspect that sank your app was something you can't/didn't change, it might be something that you can fix by re-writing your PS, continuing/expanding your clinical exposure, getting a new LOR, etc. I would also apply to more than 15 MD schools -- you might as well go all out if you're going to apply to DO (I assume if you are getting MD interviews, you will be successful at gaining admission to DO), since you aren't going to take a 3rd shot at this.

Reactions: 1 users
Suggest re-taking MCAT if you're truly interested in MD schools. Also suggest investing in MSAR as that should have the info you need. Then target those schools who's median scores are close to yours.

I am already preparing for an MCAT retake and a possible reapplication cycle next year. I submitted 36 MD secondaries this cycle, and have received interviews, but no acceptances yet, probably due to low MCAT (27). If I need to reapply, I was thinking which schools...? Is there, for instance, a consolidated list of schools that do not allow second applications or do I need to look that up individually for each school?

- I interviewed at, liked, but was waitlisted (if this happens, still haven't heard back from many post interview...if rejected post interview, will not reapply to those schools)
- Apply to DO schools

Any other advice? At the end of this cycle, I will personalize this w/more details, but in general is this a good strategy for a reapplication?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would absolutely re-apply where you got interviews before. Even if you were ultimately denied - these are your best chance. They have already seen you once and there is something about you that got you in the door. So when you reapply, get your app submitted the first day, have a great PS, take over the MCAT if you need to, do some travelling/medical mission. I ended up getting waitlisted and rejected. THE ONLY THING I CHANGED was getting my app in on the earliest day possible the next time around. It's a crap shoot, don't let things you can control cause your rejection.

How long ago were these interviews ? Maybe your acceptance is in the mail or the committee is convening on your app now . I didn't see anywhere where it said you got rejected , which means you are still a candidate the schools you interviewed at . Plus , if you managed to get multiple interviews with a relatively low Mcat you have to be a great applicant in all other areas which means you still may get more interview invites ! Obviously of it comes to it reapply to wherever you interviewed regardless of their decision , possibly add some DO schools and retake the Mcat ( if you think you can do better ) but I wouldn't plan on failure this early in the cycle where you have been successful thus far .

- Apply to DO schools

What schools did you apply to the first time?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was accepted today, thank God! This is my MDApps: http://mdapplicants.com/myprofile.php?view=myprofile.applications
I have a lot of activities, including overseas mission trips, and I was rejected at 1 school post interview (so far) so I panicked and thought I would need to retake the MCAT and reapply. I really appreciate all of the advice and am so so so grateful right now. I will keep my MD Apps profile updated and put more info on my ECs soon hopefully it can help future applicants,

I will keep my MD Apps profile updated and put more info on my ECs soon hopefully it can help future applicants,thanks
ab