Reapplicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gradM.S.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for all of you out there. I am currently waitlisted at some schools. I plan on reapplying again in the next couple of weeks, just in case I don't come off of the waitlists. My question is - should I come up with an entirely new personal statement or should I just go ahead and recycle my old one? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

GradMS,

I would not recycle your old essay... this suggests to the adcoms that you didn't take the time to reevaluate what might be weak with your essay, or your application as a whole.

Try to make it better somehow... include any new things relevant to your wanting to become a dentist, etc.

Good luck!

Bucky

hey gradMS
I agree with Bucky that you should re-write your essay.
After rewriting your essay, let it sit for a few days, then re-read it, that would help you see something you didn't see there before that needs to be fixed or to be added. This tends to help me alot with writing, even though many times I write near the end of a deadline, which is not good at all!!! so don't wait until near the end of the deadline.
Also try to have another non-dental student/professor read it to provide a different perspective, that can definitely help.
Good luck,

Members don't see this ad :)
Good advice...I agree with that, too.

NO NO NO NO DO NOT USE YOUR OLD ESSAYS! NO! IT'LL SHOW THAT YOU'RE NOT EVEN MOTIVATED ENOUGH TO WRITE A NEW ONE..PLUS YOU HAVE GROWN (AS A PERSON) THIS YEAR...YOU SHOULD EXPRESS THAT, AND YOU CAN ALWAYS SHOW HOW TRUELY MOTIVATED YOU ARE TO DENTISTRY!

just wondering what schools are you waitlisted at? Have you called the school to find out where you rank? You should :)

good luck and work on that new essay!

Hey Stargirl,
I'm waitlisted at UCONN, USC, and Creighton. I don't know what the likely hood of my getting off of the waitlist is. I am not sure how I rank for these schools. I know I should write a new personal statement, but not much has happened in a year,except for some classes and a completion of a degree, and I am so proud of my previous statement that I wouldn't know how to top myself. Well I guess it is back to the blackboard for me.

gradMS,
I understand, I thought about the same thing before. You will have to somehow top yourself. You might not think a lot happened in a year, but I am sure you'll find enough to say that a revise essay would become stronger. I don't know much bout those three schools, but just remember there are people holding multiple spots and spots may open up for you :) I really hope they do!

good luck
Star :)

I agree with everyone about re-writing your essay. I also understand about trying to top your last one. I worked so hard and was so proud of my first one, that when someone suggested that I re-write it you would have thought they asked me to kill my first-born! But I did re-write it and I am very glad I did. Like you, not a lot had changed since I wrote the last one, so I tried to preserve the "essence" of my first essay, but present it with a fresh prespective. I don't think the admissions committee is expecting your reason for wanting to become a dentist to have changed dramatically over the last year, but I think presenting that reason in a fresh way will help show your not just going through the motions. Good Luck! :)

actually i have a little different take on this subject....I reapplied this year and did basically use the same statement from the year before...(also b/c i really liked it...) the only thing i added was like one line about what i was currently doing and how i hoped it would apply to dental school....and this year i got more interviews than last year (5 vs. 1) and got accepted this year.....So my advice to you is...if you are absolutely sure that your essay is excellent (get people's oppinons....other readers) then you may not have to rewrite it...but make sure it is the best you can do before you turn it in... :)